Inherited 1998 Taco 2.7 Need Suggestions (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
My uncle left me a 1998 Tacoma 2.7L, Automatic, Single Cab, Front Lockers, 150,172 Miles

It has not been driven regularly for 2.5 years. I finally have the registration and now I need some help putting together a list of what to check and look over as I turn this into my daily driver. I am very excited to join the Taco Club and I love this truck. My knowledge is limited but I am quite capable of learning and I am mechanically inclined (YouTube helps a lot). I am worried and a bit overwhelmed as I wonder what it may need. Any suggestions and thoughts on a check-list would be much appreciated. I do have plans to upgrade and improve the truck over the next year (as I acquire knowledge, money, and parts). But right now the most important thing is ensuring road worthiness.

Just basic fluids, belts, hoses checked and you should be good to go. I'm not sure about the timing chain...Do you know if it was serviced at 100,000mi? My 6cyl requires it at that interval. Since you have an automatic, most definitely a transmission flush and radiator flush. These trucks can go in excess of 300,000 miles! Congrats.

Hey man ask any question you need. I have the same truck except it's standard. I did everything on it.
20170815_160202.jpg

I've been working on these small trucks so long I can drive one and tell you what's wrong without looking under the hood most of the time. Don't get overwhelmed these trucks are very simple. That's why they are so reliable.

Look through this: 3rd Gen 4Runner FAQs There is very little difference between the 4Rnr and the Taco. Also, there is a lot of good info specific for your truck on here: 1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)

Before you dig too far into things check the frame for rust. It is a very common problem on these trucks and there is a lot of info available on how to deal with it. If you can try to put together a maintenance history so you can figure out what routine things need taken care of.

Dubuque isn't too far from me... If you get stuck on something let me know. Oh, and we all like pictures...

Welcome to the Taco Family!! :cheers:

Just basic fluids, belts, hoses checked and you should be good to go. I'm not sure about the timing chain...Do you know if it was serviced at 100,000mi? My 6cyl requires it at that interval. Since you have an automatic, most definitely a transmission flush and radiator flush. These trucks can go in excess of 300,000 miles! Congrats.
I will put those on my list. Thank You!

Look through this: 3rd Gen 4Runner FAQs There is very little difference between the 4Rnr and the Taco. Also, there is a lot of good info specific for your truck on here: 1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)

Before you dig too far into things check the frame for rust. It is a very common problem on these trucks and there is a lot of info available on how to deal with it. If you can try to put together a maintenance history so you can figure out what routine things need taken care of.

Dubuque isn't too far from me... If you get stuck on something let me know. Oh, and we all like pictures...

Welcome to the Taco Family!! :cheers:
Thank You! I will be adding pictures soon. The frame is in good shape - My uncle lived in AZ. As far as maintenance goes, I don't have any records but I do know that he was meticulous about oil changes and maintaining proper fluid levels. He got over 500,000 miles out of his Hyundai Elantra and always talked about the importance of basic maintenance.

I've been working on these small trucks so long I can drive one and tell you what's wrong without looking under the hood most of the time. Don't get overwhelmed these trucks are very simple. That's why they are so reliable.
Thank You. I have noticed as I have poked around that it all seems pretty straightforward and basic - which I definitely like.

I Was Told That We All Love Pictures... Behold: El Gallo The Great!

Be Gentle.

Sorry About The Storage Advertisement; I had no time to edit it out.

MORE INFORMATION: The Damage to the Tail Gate, Rear Marker Cluster, and Rear Bumper are the result of a moronic kid driving a garbage truck and texting. He crashed right into it and I was smoking a cigarette in my driveway and watched the whole thing happen. He didn't see me and was about to leave when I said, "Where the F*#K You Going Kid!?" He jumped right out of his seat and about wet himself. Long Story Short: Truck wasn't registered to me so insurance company refused to pay. My uncle is dead and they paid him and he never cashed the check - obviously.

I also wanted to extend a sincere THANK YOU to everyone so far. Your insight and encouragement have helped to push the fear and worry away and replace them with excitement and confidence. It really means a lot.

I have the first major issue to deal with now: Front Wheel Bearings are making noise.

I wanted to introduce you all.

ELGALLO TRUCK.jpeg
ELGALLO TAG.jpeg
ELGALLOINTERIOR.jpeg
ELGALLOLOCKERS.jpeg
ELGALLOBOOTY.jpeg

If there really is no rust under there you have yourself a nice little 1st Gen Taco!

You can get a tailgate for under $600. Replacing the light is easy too. The rest of the damage to the bed will take a bit more work. I'm not any good at body work so maybe someone else can offer better advice to get that all nice again.

If your wheel bearings are shot you should be able to find a thread explaining how to replace them. I did mine by replacing the entire spindle/hub assembly. I don't have a press and had a spare set...

Nice 1st Gen Tacoma! Looks like it will clean up well.

If the bed isn't tweaked to badly out of square the damage should be an easy fix.
You may be able to pull the panel on the tailgate and push out the damage on the tailgate with a little bar & hammer work, should make it a bit better.
Also x2 on the basic fluids, belts, hoses check.

Last edited:
Bit late reply, but nice truck! Inherited is a nice price. So long as the garbage truck damage is only cosmetic and frame isn't affected you're good. Def take precautions to keep frame conditioned so that the road salt where you live doesn't eat it alive.

Bit late reply, but nice truck! Inherited is a nice price. So long as the garbage truck damage is only cosmetic and frame isn't affected you're good. Def take precautions to keep frame conditioned so that the road salt where you live doesn't eat it alive.
I did have the frame checked out and it is in good shape. Garbage truck hit above frame and majority of contact was with tailgate. The kid driving the truck was texting. I watched him hit my truck. Still get nauseous thinking about it.

Fyi 01-04 tail lights fit too and look lots nicer. Nice truck.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom