Info on FJ45 side Tube Bars (Nerf Bar) Wanted (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

love2fly

Flying the Mountains of the NW
Threads
Looking into making a set of side tube bars for my 82 45, never made any before but have access to a HD tube bender so if you guys have any pictures to share and or information on the creation of these please step up to the posting. I plan on leaving side step running boards in place.
Thanks

I'm right there with you. That's one of my next projects. It will be interesting to see what is out there.

Last edited:
Well lets see what we can find out Cheers

Did you make those yourself? Look good.

The ones behind the rear tires were made by Simon, an old friend of Georg's. Once he showed me how to do it, I used the same technique for the ones under the cab.

There are three steel plates, 4x6x1/2" thick with countersunk holes that had Grade 8 bolts inserted , then welded to the frame. Mating plates were bolted to the welded ones, and the sliders framed and gusseted out from there.

They are rock-tested and heavily gouged. They have never moved.

M- that's sounds right up my alley, what's the chances that when you get a bit of free time you post a few good shots of the tubes and mount area's for a bit of me possibly doing some stealing information:idea:, I mean viewing ;)

Thanks D.

I used some scrap 1.75"x.120 walled DOM and a few pieces of 3/16" plate. The finished product will support the weight of the truck.

DSC07280.jpg

DSC07284.jpg

DSC07286.jpg

DSC07289.JPG

DSC07290.jpg

Extremely nice. What year 45? Seems as my from cab to box is more even within 1.5" of each other than what I see on yours. Maybe just the way the photo is. Did you install taller shims under the box mounts? Can't tell from the photo but to mount to frame did you bolt or weld? Got to ask were you got the end caps for the tubing.
I like the NOT SO LARGE look of the tube, seems as the 2.5" - 3" offsets the nice lines of the 45's, makes them look bulky.

Thanks much.

Photo taken on 2014-07-31 15-08-10 (5).jpg

The truck is a '67. The body mounts were all pretty dry rotted when I pulled the truck apart. I ended up scavenging from two FJ40 kits to piece the mounts back together. Sounds like the bed might be a little higher than stock.

The sliders are welded to the frame in three places. The end caps came from Ballistic Fab.
Tube Caps and Spikes

Hi Dom,

I have not done a thread for the 45 yet. I've contemplated it in the past, but was not sure what forum group I should post the build. Some might not like the choices made during the build. :meh:

Jim

Jim,
You should start a thread here in the 45 Clubhouse. The nay-sayers will just have to pull up their big girl panties and get over it. It's your rig, and your money so it's your choice. I'm sure there are those that did not like/agree with every aspect of my 45 build and that's perfectly ok!

IMHO,
Michael B <><

Yeah just start and keep adding info and pictures, its your truck and you can do with it what you want.

2754FC61-83F6-40F6-9877-610D08F1C647.png
Might also consider Lcwizards side steps. Someone even I ncorporated the factory braces to the frame with these, which I imagine would hold up to lighter bumps.
My factory running boards all had dents, I am very impressed with these.

The 3' is a little more that I want to use but they do look like they with do the job with some real rock crawling if need be, nice job. I did see those side steps before but actually not for me but unless if I do I would paint them the same color as the truck to blend in, that's just me.
I need to cover most of the underside mainly below the doors and the wheel wells. I have come very close one time this year when crossing a dry deep washout were I was inches from bending in both the rear box corners when descending into the bottom of that washout. The 45 box is wide open to damage as it sticks out from the frame.
I am considering what Cirbo has made probably not the strongest for heavy rock crawling but most of my off road is mostly high desert dusty stuff with the once and a while medium crawl. I can see room to beef up some areas but all in all looks as it fits the bill. After Xmas I will start to gather up the parts for this build and plan out some small ideas to beef a few areas up and maybe build to slide in and out all compensates as needed.
All the bars I seen are awesome and I appreciate the input with your work and for others that maybe considering the same. I have started the drawing of what I am going to build with the aid of Cirbo pictures, I will post what I have developed some time next early year.
:cheers:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom