In the Market for a Warn Winch, Questions (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.hrodesign.com
I'm new to buying winches and I've never bought one before. Everyone that I have talked to has told me to buy Warn. I haven't necessarily narrowed my search to Warn but I figured I would start there. I have $1,000 to spend but ideally I wouldn't spend the whole amount so that I can buy some other winching accessories (snatch block, tree strap, etc...). I can spend more if it's truly worth it but again, I don't plan on using it all that much but like you all, want to have the confidence in it when I have to. I also figured I would try and stick with synthetic rope and shoot for 8,000 to 10,000 lbs. pull capacity. I have a somewhat modified `98 100-series LC. I'm about to put a aftermarket front bumper on it, hence the reason for this purchase.

I narrowed my search to either of these 3 options:
Warn 89305 Zeon 8-S Winch ($1,149.99 Amazon, Considered their Premium Series)
Warn M8000-S ($826.23 Amazon, Considered their Premium Series)
Warn 87840 VR1000-S ($849.99 Amazon, Considered their Entry Level Series)

So if you were me what would you consider? What is the difference? Thanks for any insight on this.

Look at come up as well. And the VR series is made in china.

I would look for one that has seals to prevent water intrusion. Many do not. I have an older Warn M12000 that I rebuilt and was disappointed to find No seals whatsoever. Any longer than a short dunking and a complete disassembly is needed to clean it out (which on my 100 with an ARB requires removing the bumper and winch together....mucho work).

Go for the VR 10,000 recently purchased one for my 96 Lx450! Amazing winch, Ive already winched out a F-350 on 35" tires. I got the Synthetic line also. *Excellent quality* It is a WARN

IMG_2063.PNG

Not all winches fit on all bumpers, so make sure you check this before you buy.

For an inexpensive winch, an M8000 is hard to beat. Maybe a bit light for a loaded 100, but the price/quality point are good.

If it would fit, a 9.5 XP would be at the high end of your desired price, but an excellent winch and the right amount of power.

I don't know anything about the Warn Zeon winches, and have never seen or used one. Probably a good winch, but not sure how the 8000 pound winch is better than an M8000.

The VR series is Warn's attempt to deal with the onslaught of cheap Chinese winches. I'd buy one over say a Harbor Freight, Tmax, Smittybuilt etc, but if your budget allows, I'd get a better winch on principle.

One thing to consider if you have not-used winches on Craigs list can often be had a very good prices, and let's face it, most winches are rarely used so even a used one may be mechanically almost new.

Look at come up as well. And the VR series is made in china.

I thought Warn's VR10000 was the rather evasive "Globally sourced assembled in the US"...

I understand that the Come Up winches are supposed to be pretty nice, but don't they have factories in both Taiwan and mainland China?

Why is it, it seems that when someone mentions Warn's VR line I usually see "Ewww it's made in China" usually immediately followed by "Get this <insert Chinese winch> instead? :)

--------------------------

I'm in a similar situation to the OP. It's been a while since I've bought a new winch, the last one I bought was a M10000 about 20 years ago. I've been trying to make heads or tails of all of the "new" winch offerings on the market, to find a winch to fill the hole in the shiny new ARB on my son's 100 series.

There seems to be a number of low cost Chinese made winches (Harbor Freight/Smittybilt/Engo/etc) that some have had good luck with, and others have not. It may be irrational but I feel like I'd be buying "bumper jewelry" that may or may not work when it is needed the most.

I've looked at the Come Up, and it looks like a nice winch that is comparable to the nicer Warns. I keep going back to the Warn's because it's what I have experience with. I'd expect it t work and I feel like I would able to get replacement parts (if needed) instead of being a disposable winch (like the budget Chinese winches). I'm personally leaning towards the synthetic line for safety, since my kid will be the one most likely to use it.

M8000 ~$600 - probably a little light for a loaded 100 series, part of Warn's "premium series", wire rope included (additional hassle and cost to purchase synthetic line, why bother when there is a M8000-s)

VR10000 ~$600 - - rated properly for 100 series, part of Warn's "entry level series" aka light duty, wire rope included (additional hassle and cost to purchase synthetic line, why bother when there is a VR10000-s)

M8000-s ~$750 - probably a little light for a loaded 100 series, part of Warn's "premium series", synthetic line included

VR10000-s ~$850 - rated properly for 100 series, part of Warn's "entry level series" aka light duty, synthetic line included

XD9000 ~$1000 - rated properly for 100 series, part of Warn's "premium series", wire rope included (additional hassle and cost to purchase synthetic line)

9.5XP ~$1500 - rated properly for a 100 series, part of Warn's "ultimate performance series", wire rope included (additional hassle and cost to purchase synthetic line), a little more than I really intended to spend for the amount of anticipated use.

M12000 ~$1500 - probably overkill for a 100 series, part of Warn's "Heavyweight series", wire rope included (additional hassle and cost to purchase synthetic line), a little more than I really intended to spend for the amount of anticipated use.

9.5XP-s ~$1750 - rated properly for 100 series, part of Warn's "ultimate performance series", synthetic line included, a little more than I really intended to spend for the amount of anticipated use.
The sweet spot for me seems to be around the M8000-s/VR10000-s/XD9000 of the range and trying to determine whether "entry series vs premium series", "8000 vs 9000 vs 10000" or "synthetic vs wire" is most important to me.

Last edited:
Come Up is made in Taiwan, not China. . And I'm not saying the war VR's are bad, just point out where they are made. I personally love my 8274, but it's not for everyone. I'd go the used winch route honestly. Warn still stocks the parts to rebuild them.

Come Up is made in Taiwan, not China. . And I'm not saying the war VR's are bad, just point out where they are made. I personally love my 8274, but it's not for everyone. I'd go the used winch route honestly. Warn still stocks the parts to rebuild them.

8274 would be my pick too, but then I always say that and was trying not to! I don't think an 8274 would fit on a 100 bumper unless it was custom, but despite it's 8000 pound (conservative) rating, that would be plenty of winch. The real beauty is the availability of parts. A 30 or 40 year old 8274 is just as good as a new one, especially since every part to make it new is available. There are 3 on Craigslist in my area right now, and one of them comes with a free Chevy truck attached to it that supposedly runs.

But, for a 100 series clean truck, you need a clean winch to set your espresso cup on.;) I would ask the @spressomon which winch he fitted to the front of his 100. It's very clean and integrated, and fits perfectly.

A used Warn though, cleaned up and lubricated might get you going for say $500 + $200 for a synthetic cable. Not too shabby. That would save enough in your budget for a couple of good tow straps, some good American made rated shackles, a snatch block, and a tree saver.

All joking aside, I don't know anything about Come Up. Looks nice in the pictures. I heard it was Taiwanese too, so likely a step up from the UCW (Universal Chinese Winch). I am hoping I get to try out @beno 's this May.

It may well be made in Taiwan, but they list factories in both Taiwan and mainland China

COMEUP INDUSTRIES INC. - Manufacturer of Premium Winches

Factory Sites & Building
  • Xizhi : Land 2,000m2 ; Buildings 7,000m2
  • Shanghai: Land 11,500m2 ; Buildings 15,000m2
I really wasn't knocking the Come Up winches. Just an observation that it seems every time I see a query about Warn's VR line, I see something like "Ewww they're made in China, get a _____ instead." Usually it is Badland/Engo/Smittybilt in the blank. Warn is a little cagey about where the different models of their VR line are built, but the alternatives usually offered are openly "made in china".

The Come Up products appear to be a significant step up from the truckloads of cheap Chinese winches flooding the market, and a worthy competitor to some of Warn's products. There is just a certain comfort for me in knowing I can get parts for long discontinued Warn products.

I'd love to stick an 8274 on the front of my son's 100 series, but I believe the amount of fabrication required to make it fit, and trashing a new ARB bumper is a bit of a turnoff. Something about a round peg in a square hole comes to mind.

IMO

The M8000 was designed for a jeep. It is too small for a 100.
Waste of time and money. Get a winch that will actually be able to do something.

or get a box of pulleys if you decide on the M8000

@Cruiserdrew: After 10-years of proven performance (and value IMHO ;)) I could not have asked for more in my Warn 9.5XP. It has straight-line pulled ~11,000lbs of overloaded 100-Series and various trailers out of frame deep mud, up scree slopes and more. And it has held up to being dunked repeatedly via deep water crossings.

If I had to buy another winch, assuming the current Warn 9.5XP units are the same, I'd ante up the extra coin. Worth it from where I sit. And this is more than I can say about some of the chinese winches I've been around in failure mode. You get what you pay for...sometimes ;).

I like all the input. I'm starting to settle on a Warn and spend the extra cash. Sounds like if I can get one that is waterproof (or atleast somewhat) and made in the US, it will be the last one I'll have to buy for a long, long time. The idea of having to source replacement parts from a Chinese made or Taiwanese made company doesn't sound appealing if something should break.

(I'll admit though, HF has the Badlands 12K winch on sale for $295 right now and that's super tempting...)

I like all the input. I'm starting to settle on a Warn and spend the extra cash. Sounds like if I can get one that is waterproof (or atleast somewhat) and made in the US, it will be the last one I'll have to buy for a long, long time. The idea of having to source replacement parts from a Chinese made or Taiwanese made company doesn't sound appealing if something should break.

(I'll admit though, HF has the Badlands 12K winch on sale for $295 right now and that's super tempting...)
I've had a lot of friends purchase the badlands winch, and after a few months on their rig it started to have mechanical issues... and if you pull about 9,000 pounds for the full cable or synthetic rope the internal mechanics will shatter. I'd go for the VR its a great purchase! Winches aren't super cheap unless you don't wan't quality. Thanks, Cole

That's good to know. I read all the reviews on the Badlands but none really seem to show a lot of usage or the longevity of it either.

Easy to be tempted by the low price, but you're buying junk.

This is one of those places where it may take 10 years and several trucks to see the real value. You have a nearly permanent car (your 100 will last for decades), so you may as well have a winch to match. You didn't cheap out on your truck, so don't cheap out on an important piece of gear.

If you buy a 9.5XP for instance, you could easily still be using it 20 years from now on your 300 series Land Cruiser. The Harbor Freight and cousins, not so much.

Ok, I did some more research on some of the winches you guys listed and came up with these three based on price and ability.

Warn 68500 9.5XP 9,500-lbs is $1,449.99 on Amazon
Warn 68500 9.5XP-S 9,500-lbs is $1,719.99 on Amazon
Warn 89611 Zeon 10-S 10,000-lbs is $1,249.00 on Amazon

Seems to me that the Zeon 10-S is a better value for the price but the 9.5XP is a higher end model. The XP-S model is way out of my price range. So I think I'm leaning towards buying the Zeon 10-S. What do you guys think?

Do you know for sure it will fit your bumper?

If so, it's likely a very nice winch.

I have on order a DIY bumper for Dissent. I spoke with @benc about re-locating the control module to a different area and he said that if I do that, it shouldn't be a problem.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom