Improving Ride Quality: Possible new owner of used GX 460 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
*Also posted in ClubLexus*

Hi All,

First time poster here folks! I am in the process of deciding whether to get a used 2012 GX with 38k miles on it.

I am not new to Toyota (new to Lexus though), having owned a FJ Cruiser & a 4 Runner previously. Currently I have a LR Discovery Sport. Which brings me to my current dilemma. Just less than a month of owning the Disco Sport and its already been to the dealership once with a possible trip again due to some squeaks and rattles. I never had these types of issues with a Toyota.

Having said that, I am seriously thinking of returning this car and getting a used GX instead. However my primary concern is the ride quality. I know the GX is a body on frame and the ride quality cannot probably be compared to the Disco Sport or even an LR4 (I have test driven multiple GX and a LR4).

However, I am hoping there perhaps aftermarket suspensions in the GX could significantly improve the handling (body roll, nose dive when braking etc.) which was a big issue for me with my previous 4Runner Trail premium especially since I live in a city (Pittsburgh),this car will be my DD and hence brisk handling is just so much more convenient.

Would appreciate feedback from folks on here who may have updated their suspensions and the improvement of the ride quality they may have experienced.

Please note
: I do want a rig that would be off road capable as well as I plan to do pretty long expeditions both on road and in mild to medium off road conditions. I would prefer to do it in luxury plus want to try something new instead of getting another 4Runner. Hence the GX.

Hope the post wasn't too long and thanks in advance to everyone who can provide inputs!

Just go ahead jump into the 460, you might really might just like it! I gain more respect for ours as I learn more and more of its capabilities.
One thing I am concidering would be taller tire for better offroad performance.

Thanks Red. I do plan on mods should I get the GX (BASE MODEL) which include tires, minor lift, shocks/suspension. Just wondering how big a difference it makes to the ride quality and handling of the GX?

I don't know if Toyota and Lexus use exactly the same spring for the 4Runner and GX, but I wouldn't be surprised if they were different and the Lexus got a softer spring to support a "cushier" ride. That said, I am sure the (2010+) 4Runner aftermarket springs would fit and be a direct swap into the GX 460. Do you want to lift it as well? I don't think you can get a stiffer aftermarket spring in stock height. But that's where an adjustable setup up front would give you some options to tinker with ride height. For the rear, I think all the springs will give you some amount of lift.

Before we bought my wife's 2015 GX, we also test drove a 4Runner limited - the driving characteristics were different, but they were also very similar. I'm not certain the GX is cushier, just more refined overall.

Before we bought my wife's 2015 GX, we also test drove a 4Runner limited - the driving characteristics were different, but they were also very similar. I'm not certain the GX is cushier, just more refined overall.
Yeah I think the limited is different from the Trail that I had (lifted not sure about suspension) and I had a lot of body roll and nose dive. After having driven the GX I agree the ride is way better..so now I am re-considering the suspension change.

Still wondering whether an OME suspension will make the handling and ride significantly better.....

I can pretty much guarantee that the OE suspension will ride better. Not sure about the handling though.

Just going on what I could read of your original post (the sentence in red), I would say I am very happy with the changes I've made to and the "improved" ride quality.

GX460 Build Thread

Obviously, a hugely subjective subject but the reason I avoided OME is because a lot of their springs are a relatively big increase to spring stiffness (to accommodate heavier loads, winches, etc.).

I did tires and lift at the same time, but I think a lot of the improvement I felt was probably from better tires. If yours are getting worn and you aren't set on a lift, tires alone might make a nice difference. Maybe you could find someone local with different tires to ride with?

I looked at buying a LR4. It's super Cushy ride. I frankly don't see how you would buy that and say the GX has too much nose dive or feels unsporty. The LR4 is a floaty boat of a truck. Now the Disco Sport is much sportier but not really much of a Truck. It's really more car based type of SUV. I know your pain when it comes to comfort vs sporty. To me the LR4 was the perfect choice of RIDE and Ability. But reliability pushed me to a my 04 GX that I found a great deal on. I honestly think you need to reassess your desires. You either want a true 4wd with its associated less sporty nature or you want a car like SUV that is going to drive more like a car. MY GX with the Bilsteins and moderate lift is VERY comfortable. Not as much as a LR4 but close enough for me. It's also quiet. Feels effortless over bumps. But it's not the least bit sporty. It's got a lot of weight and the associated weight transfer that comes with that weight. It's not as wallowy as a LR4 either. You can spring it firmer but it's going to ride rougher. That is just the way it works with in the parameters of what we got.
My GX is WAY more comfortable then a new TRAIL 4Runner.

The GX is not a vehicle to flex and wreck.
I own a 2016.
It's a blast on dry highway ramps, it wants to understeer. And the traction / stability controls will keep the rig in your lane (snap you back into) during snowstorms while negotiating steep curves, going downhill too fast (thru BC mountains for instance, without winter tires). It is an amazing rig.

I wouldn't worry about nose diving on braking. Who in the world races a gx to the next red light.
And if you do lots of off-road, you have the downhill assist.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom