I'm Killing Batteries (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

ElPolloBlanco

SILVER Star
Threads
Website
instagram.com
I'm having batter issues. I had a long story but who what's to read that shhhh. So I had a "Lexus" battery when I got the rig. Not sure how old it was, but my rig sat for a while because of reasons. The battery died, Wouldn't even take a charge to jump start from my GX. I went and got a Optima Yellow Top 27F. Put it in. Truck works again. It sits some more. I go to get it ready for some Monstaliner at a body shop. Won't start. Won't Jump. Nothing.

I take the battery in and get it tested and it's bad. Get a warranty replacement. All is good. Or so I think.

I had it at a body shop for a while (3ish months). Guy at the shop calls and is like, hey your cruiser has a draw on the battery. It was in the shop for a week and the battery died.

He put it on the tender and left it like that while he had it. I get it back today and I get home with it. I'm excited cause it's been gone and it looks great, blah blah blah. I park it in the street. I go out later after my wife moved her car out of the driveway and it won't start. We're talking maybe an hour. I so jump start it. Let it run and top off the battery. I test it as soon as I shut it off and it's at 12.3v.

I then start checking for a draw, but it test at around 22 milliamps. Thinking maybe I don't know what I'm doing I force a draw by turning on the dome lights and I get about 150 milliamps. So yeah no real draw. I reset every single fuse in the dash and in the engine just to make sure.

I then wait. In three hours the battery dropped to 8v. I just dropped it off for a test. It was at 6.4v after about 4-5 hours of sitting, not connected to anything. It got warm too. Not hot, just warm. Also while dropping it off I noticed the top is indented above the cells.

So all of this to say, What the heck is going on? Should I not use the yellowtop and switch to a red top? I have a second blue top to install soon for house loads and other stuff. Am I missing a draw? I'm at a loss here.

In general Optima batteries suck. 12.3V at shutoff *assuming* your alternator is actually charging/working, indicates a stuffed battery.

Find a costco and buy a battery there. Then measure your current draw while sitting, measure at different times and keep an eye on the voltage. Check battery voltage while engine running at a fast idle, should be 14V or more or your alternator needs servicing.

cheers,
george.

In general Optima batteries suck. 12.3V at shutoff *assuming* your alternator is actually charging/working, indicates a stuffed battery.

Find a costco and buy a battery there. Then measure your current draw while sitting, measure at different times and keep an eye on the voltage. Check battery voltage while engine running at a fast idle, should be 14V or more or your alternator needs servicing.

cheers,
george.

I think I might do that instead of getting the warranty replacement.

One of the items you might check, for your low amp draw, is that lighted ring around you starter switch on your dash. It seems there's a timer that controls how long that light ring stays on, a part in that timer goes bad, causing the light to stay on all the time. That can cause a low amp draw on your battery.
Repairing the Room Lamp Control Module aka Ignition Key Cylinder Light Relay

Last edited:
^ if the ring is lit...

Ignition dimming relay

though the OP's 22mA would only contribute 0.022 * 24 * 30 = 16AH after 1 month, hardly an issue for a healthy battery.

cheers,
george.

George, I'm sure your right on the amount of amp draw, but his problem may be a combination of parts. So i was offering this up, as one more item to check, to be sure it's not contributing to his problems.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom