I'm getting new tires! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I have the exact same setup on my '87 60. I went with 12.50s, and they give it a really good stance from the front, I have the Yokohama Geolander A/T +II, they are really quiet, and clean themselves real well, good traction on ice, mud, rock, and onroad, you can get them from tire rack for a little over 100 bucks a pop, got my set delivered to my house for well under $500, and mounted them on 15x10's from JT. I like the tread design, and not many people have them, every other truck has BFGs.

just my $.02

I say 33x12.5 based on that llift, but you'll sacrafice a bit of ass on that 2f. Some prefer RPM reduction...all depends on your needs. If you go with shorter tires (31's) I'd remove the extended shackles.

I'll be different and endorse the Bridgstone Destination MT...I hear nothing but good things about it and there not as ubiquitous as the Goodyear and BFG. You might want to wait to read the responses on the 60/62 gearing/tire post above to get an idea.

Rob

Well, frankly I'm just as lost as I was in the beginning. The lingering question I have is with the stock gearing, are 33's going to work out well?? If so, I'll probably go with the 33x9.5. If not, I may go with something smaller. When I get some photos of the new lift and the current tires (30x9.5) I'll post them, and you all can take a look and tell me what you think.

Seems like BFG's are the only ones that make a 33x9.5 anyway. If you find others, let me know.

:cheers: to all and thanks

Options for 33X9.50

Since I ended up getting 33X9.50's I looked around a lot to see what the options were.

Les Swab - 2 different (though similar looking) tires. Tread is cross between MT and AT.
Kelly - special order only. MT style.
Big O tire. MT and AT.
BFG - AT only.
Swamper Radials - list as 10.50, but this one runs very narrow, essentially a 9.50.

Sorry for the delay in responding to a couple of these posts - been away from the 'puter.

John - I'm still sitting on the fence about getting rid of the 32's or putting them on my wife's 4-Runner. Either way, they are on my stock 94 Mini-truck and are too big. They were on it when I bought it, becasue, as the PO said "they were the biggest things I could stuff in there". They are on a really nice set of 15x8 Centerline wheels that I also think are too big for a stock truck. Since the truck is my DD, this set-up isn't the most ideal anyway. I'll hit you off-line for more discussion on this. Also, as you may have figured out already, you'll need to get new wheels as well. 11.50's on a 6.5 rim are pushing it.

Doug - my comments about 33x9.50's being hard to handle are based on personal experience and those of other's I've been in direct contact with. Admittedly, at the time, my 60's suspension etc wasn't in perfect condition, but it wasn't too bad either and had a brand new steering stablizer. Being an adventurous person, it was a little "fun" trying to control my 60 at highway speeds, but there was no way I'd let my wife drive it when it had 9.50's. This is something that always stirs up a good discussion, but that's the way I feel about it. After only changing to the 12.50's (no other mods or repairs), driving my 60 was like getting in an entirely different vehicle.

Mike

Can we get the FJ60 bolt pattern added on here as well, since I am not seeing it?

With stock rims, I would go 33x10.50. With new rims, I would go 8" rims and 33x12.50. I run a BDS lift with this set-up (33x12.50) and it works great. I rub at full flex, but it's pretty much just on the inner fender wells, and it's so rare that it's not a concern.

Gearing is great around town, on the freeway and adequate for most wheeling. 4.11s are in my future though.

Does anyone know if American Racing Outlaw II wheels work on a FJ62? Also, does anyone know how to decipher AR's numbers? I am looking for a 15x10 wheel with 3.25" backspacing. Here is the link to the lists.

American Racing: Official Manufacturer Website- custom, chrome, polished and painted wheels

You may have to click on the pic of the Outlaw II wheel to see what I am talking about.

I am guessing that it is part # 62-5783, but I don't understand what that 3 3/4 means. Is that backspacing?

Also, should I be using a 10" wheel with 32x11.5 mud terrains, or should I be using an 8" rim?

Also, should I be using a 10" wheel with 32x11.5 mud terrains, or should I be using an 8" rim?

I am using a 8" rim with 32x11.5's. You might want to get 10" rims though if you ever think you might go bigger.

what about a completly stock 60? im looking to get bfg mudders but i dont know what kind of rims i need. im seeing a trend for the 31x10.5x15 but what kind of wheel should i get? what kind of back spacing is needed? and i need help deciding if bead locks are worth purchasing yet or not. any help would be greatley appreaciated. and also would stock fj cruiser rims fit on a 60?

Last edited:
I just bought a 89 fj62 and I am going with the 10.5 after installing a 2.5 inch Hells Creek Suspension--if you look at the pic of the rig on ccot site for the hfs suspension that is the look you will get with 10.5

Same issue

I am waiiing for my OME lift to come in. I ended going with Flat Black Rock Crawler 15x8 and 33x10.5 Pro Comp All Terrains. I looked at registry pics until I got cross eyed trying to make a decison. My lift doesn't come in until the first week of April. I will share pics when it is all done. Good luck.

sorry to bump this thread, but on my HJ60, i run 33"x12.5 on 15x8 rims with very little/no scrubbing at all.
As far as i know, and the paperwork i have found with it, its got stock suspension.

Stock height, some what new springs.
33"x12.5 on 15x8s with little scrubbing.

Is anyone else running this setup?

I'm running 32-11.5 on 15 in rims. 33-12.5 would rub while off roading or on hard turns. I think 33-10.5 would be alright. Here's I picture of my setup

ForumRunner_20130519_093355.jpg

ForumRunner_20130519_093424.jpg

ForumRunner_20130519_093355.jpg

ForumRunner_20130519_093424.jpg

those are h3 rims. you're gonna need huge 2" spacers to make them fit. and after all that work, they'll look terrible.

I have 32x10.5 Super Swampers on stock wheels, and a 100% stock suspension, and they only rub at absolutely full flex in back. For what it's worth, they're a 'true' 32" tire, rather than the ~31.5ish that most 32" tires measure out to.

The rubber overdrive is nice, but the SS tread is quite loud (speeding up on a freeway onramp sounds a lot like taking off in a small plane.) Mine were siped, so they're pretty good on wet/icy pavement. Great offroad, but that goes for any tires with giant lugs.

I think the H3 rims would look great painted black, spacers aren't bad just depends on the offset. Push them out too far from the hubs and you can get premature wear. That said, buying spacers woyld probably negate the "good deal" you got on H3 wheels.

Plus the hub bore is too small, they wouldn't fit up front anyhow.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom