I'm getting new tires! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I've owned my FJ60 for 20 years and the only tires I've ever bought are BFG All-Terrains. I've driven them on road trips from NY to CO to CA and off road everywhere in between. Snow (Upstate NY followed by 10 years in Colorado), sand, mud rocks, all good. Moab, Mojave, pulling trailers, stream crossings, any where and everywhere. It's all you need.

That is good to know BCG... I have always heard mixed reviews about the BFGs in our area so I have been debating on getting them when I get new tires.

I've also owned a number of sets of BFG A/Ts and really liked them. However the last time I got tires, I was talked into the Nitto Terra Grapplers and have been very happy with them. They are not quite as noisy, last just as long, seem to have better grip and were about the same price when I got them almost 5 years ago. I have over 40K miles on them and they have about 40% tread left.

Stock offset/backspacing is 3.675" (I believe) so that is why everyone goes with the 3.5"... Going with a 2.5" will require spacers to bring the wheel out properly so you do not rub when articulating or turning.

It also depends on the wheel design. I'd pass on a wheel that has a 2.5"BS. The spacers required will be too thick, and the weight distribution of the wheel is placed farther to one side due to the 1.5" offset.

Where one wheel with a 3.5 (or 4) inch BS may fit the cruiser, another wheel with the exact same specs may not due to spoke design.

There are lots of 15x8 wheels that will fit w/o the need for spacers.

Check out the thread "Wheels that work, part numbers"

You shouldn't need spacers for 2.5" backspacing, those wheels would extend past the wheel wells almost... Assuming they clear the TRE's due to wheel design.

Now that I have seen some 4" BS wheels fit we all have to be careful what we are buying, but keep in mind the wheel size will make an impact too. Those wheels with 4" BS that I saw were 17" wheels.

I do know that 16" 80 Series wheels (4.5" BS) will not fit without spacers.

Cooper Discover AT3 is what I just got for my newest Cruiser. Very quiet and was told a the shop that they are much better on ice. Like em on my Chevy pickup for over 10 years. I have Cooper Discover STs on my other Cruiser. I fine like them. Not too much road noise for the tread and they do well in the deep snow here, however, they are not great on ice. I killed a Subie two years, totaled, but Cruiser came out incredibly well. May have had less damage had I had the ATs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom