Ikamper RTT on kickstarter (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

IMG_5189.JPG
IMG_5185.JPG
IMG_5191.JPG
IMG_5192.JPG
IMG_5193.JPG
Picked mine up today! Great quality and very well thought out! Love it!!! $1900!!! Now they at 2600... once my missing Prinsu rack bolts arrive it will be close to the roof..

View attachment 1542112 View attachment 1542111 View attachment 1542107 View attachment 1542108 View attachment 1542109 Picked mine up today! Great quality and very well thought out! Love it!!! $1900!!! Now they at 2600... once my missing Prinsu rack bolts arrive it will be close to the roof..

Your setup looks rad! I wanted the light grey shell as well but jumped on a black shell poly canvas from a distributor in the Bay Area. Haven't gotten to sleep in mine yet but will say I'm fairly impressed with the design and quality. Lots of little mods in the works though. This will fit the four of us no prob. So big inside!
IMG_5864.JPG
IMG_5920.JPG
IMG_5907.JPG
IMG_5915.JPG

I'll keep this on in my back pocket as a suitable replacement for my smittybilt rtt. I'm not a fan of trying to put the cover on by myself in the wind with Velcro.

IMG_5311.JPG
IMG_5313.JPG
IMG_5313.JPG
Mounted on my prinsu.. love this thing.

IMG_5312.JPG

Just got mine, haven’t slept in it yet but have deployed it a couple times. I’ll probably end up debadging it and wrapping it to color match my 100 as well as adding a mattress pad and some LED puddles. I’m have a 10 day 2000 mile trip down the pacific coast hwy planned for in Dec to give it a good shake down.

D9CF36D2-F4F2-4964-A64C-09E8C1D50F32.jpeg

1AD85673-1984-40D0-AAC0-179C22823BD6.jpeg

Your setup looks rad! I wanted the light grey shell as well but jumped on a black shell poly canvas from a distributor in the Bay Area. Haven't gotten to sleep in mine yet but will say I'm fairly impressed with the design and quality. Lots of little mods in the works though. This will fit the four of us no prob. So big inside!View attachment 1544253View attachment 1544257 View attachment 1544255 View attachment 1544258
How’s everyone liking their IKamper RTT?

I liked mine, used it on a two week 3300 mile trip - ended up selling it but not because of the ikamper itself. Still the best parts for me were how easy to setup and tear down, and how large inside it was..

I love mine! We’ve done 8 or so nights in it now. They look perfect on top of Cruisers IMO! It handled 70mph gusts all night at Wildrose camp in Death Valley. We bushwhacked thru fir and juniper for a few miles, with minor scratching. It opens and closes way too quick it’s like cheating.

I’ve added switched LED lighting and USB power inside, taped down Thermarest SoLite pads to the floor, a bungee to gather the fabric when closing much like how the Alucab bungee functions, put RV levels on the outside. grayed out the iKamper logo, added marine anti skid tape to the outside floor where the ladder rests when closed, carpeted the exposed areas of the floor, and replaced the foam mattress with a custom cut, firm, high density 1.5” foam mattress for a local foam dealer that still fits inside the cover.

With the thicker mattress, .6” Thermarest pads we can stow 2 30 degree sleeping bags and 4 camp pillows inside rolled up at the hinge side, and close it fairly easily. This should stay our tent for a long time.
0B2266F2-EB2A-48EA-84EE-BDC56C43C15A.jpeg
77AAC35E-C62B-4CC7-9B68-320B7A3322BE.jpeg
12C747FD-DD61-4BC7-90C1-693D937DB6FC.jpeg

I love mine! We’ve done 8 or so nights in it now. They look perfect on top of Cruisers IMO! It handled 70mph gusts all night at Wildrose camp in Death Valley. We bushwhacked thru fir and juniper for a few miles, with minor scratching. It opens and closes way too quick it’s like cheating.

I’ve added switched LED lighting and USB power inside, taped down Thermarest SoLite pads to the floor, a bungee to gather the fabric when closing much like how the Alucab bungee functions, put RV levels on the outside. grayed out the iKamper logo, added marine anti skid tape to the outside floor where the ladder rests when closed, carpeted the exposed areas of the floor, and replaced the foam mattress with a custom cut, firm, high density 1.5” foam mattress for a local foam dealer that still fits inside the cover.

With the thicker mattress, .6” Thermarest pads we can stow 2 30 degree sleeping bags and 4 camp pillows inside rolled up at the hinge side, and close it fairly easily. This should stay our tent for a long time. View attachment 1594437 View attachment 1594446View attachment 1594450
Thanks so much for the review, that is awesome, I love the extra size versus other hardshell

With the thicker mattress, .6” Thermarest pads we can stow 2 30 degree sleeping bags and 4 camp pillows inside rolled up at the hinge side, and close it fairly easily. This should stay our tent for a long time. View attachment 1594437 View attachment 1594446View attachment 1594450

Damn that Alucab is so sweet.

Ive done about 10 nights in mine so far. Its a very comfortable setup. I still can not believe how big this thing is and yet it fits the width of the 80 series when closed. I had the James Baroud prior to this but hated the 6 inch overhang on either side. This tent is just as quick to deploy and put away. Did some winter camping in there. 30mph sustained winds with 60 mph gusts with evening temps right around 21F. the truck would shake but the tent was by no means loud. I have the poly cotton version. I also had it linexed because it will scuff from branches etc.

I would love to mount an alucab shadowawn. just wondering what brackets to use with the Prinsu rack.

full

full

full

Ive done about 10 nights in mine so far. Its a very comfortable setup. I still can not believe how big this thing is and yet it fits the width of the 80 series when closed. I had the James Baroud prior to this but hated the 6 inch overhang on either side. This tent is just as quick to deploy and put away. Did some winter camping in there. 30mph sustained winds with 60 mph gusts with evening temps right around 21F. the truck would shake but the tent was by no means loud. I have the poly cotton version. I also had it linexed because it will scuff from branches etc.

I would love to mount an alucab shadowawn. just wondering what brackets to use with the Prinsu rack.

A few questions.

1. Would you pay the higher asking amount that it is priced at now? They have it advertised at $3500. That is MUCH higher than it was at previously.

2. Do you think that an Alucab Shadow awing would work/fit with this side opening tent?

3. What is the weight on this tent. It looks like 150 lbs, but it would be nice to see a confirmation.

Thanks for any help with these questions.

A few questions.

1. Would you pay the higher asking amount that it is priced at now? They have it advertised at $3500. That is MUCH higher than it was at previously.

2. Do you think that an Alucab Shadow awing would work/fit with this side opening tent?

3. What is the weight on this tent. It looks like 150 lbs, but it would be nice to see a confirmation.

Thanks for any help with these questions.

1. Yes I would. I do realize that it is a very high asking price for a tent. That being said, I really like the size of this thing. I don't just go camping when the weather is nice. Sometimes it gets really nasty. Having such a large space to escape into makes that a very pleasant experience. I remember in all my older setups being cooped up in a tiny space for hours waiting for he rain to let up. Its fine when yo are by yourself but when you have a wife and/or kids it can change the situation quite drastically. There are two types of fabric they sell with this tent. I opted for the polycotton. Its basically heavier and a much better insulator than the polyester version and also much quite in the wind.

2. When the tent is open it does not interfere with anything on the hinge side. Depending on the type of roof rack that you have, the thing you have to watch out for is the top of the door. But in my case the Shadow awn will work. If you have a front runner rack, it will work very very well with the brackets that alucab has.

3. Mine weighed in at 152 lb after the linex treatment. That includes 2 sleeping bags, 2 pillows and a king size duvet cover.

Having looked at and having used quite a number of roof top tents, I firmly believe that the Alucab gen3 is by far the best quality tent followed by the bundutec units. The iKamper does not come close to those units as far as durability goes. However the Alucab and Bundutec are simply to small for two people or more. They are fine for just sleeping but for hanging out during a storm they truly suck. The iKamper in my opinion is the best compromise between size and quality. After applying the linex I have no more qualms about the quality of this thing. Prior to linex all you could hear me do is bitch and moan about how thin and flimsy the fiberglass was. When it becomes warmer I will fabricate a reinforced aluminum cover similar to the Alucab. Then it really will be the perfect tent.

1. Yes I would. I do realize that it is a very high asking price for a tent. That being said, I really like the size of this thing. I don't just go camping when the weather is nice. Sometimes it gets really nasty. Having such a large space to escape into makes that a very pleasant experience. I remember in all my older setups being cooped up in a tiny space for hours waiting for he rain to let up. Its fine when yo are by yourself but when you have a wife and/or kids it can change the situation quite drastically. There are two types of fabric they sell with this tent. I opted for the polycotton. Its basically heavier and a much better insulator than the polyester version and also much quite in the wind.

2. When the tent is open it does not interfere with anything on the hinge side. Depending on the type of roof rack that you have, the thing you have to watch out for is the top of the door. But in my case the Shadow awn will work. If you have a front runner rack, it will work very very well with the brackets that alucab has.

3. Mine weighed in at 152 lb after the linex treatment. That includes 2 sleeping bags, 2 pillows and a king size duvet cover.

Having looked at and having used quite a number of roof top tents, I firmly believe that the Alucab gen3 is by far the best quality tent followed by the bundutec units. The iKamper does not come close to those units as far as durability goes. However the Alucab and Bundutec are simply to small for two people or more. They are fine for just sleeping but for hanging out during a storm they truly suck. The iKamper in my opinion is the best compromise between size and quality. After applying the linex I have no more qualms about the quality of this thing. Prior to linex all you could hear me do is bitch and moan about how thin and flimsy the fiberglass was. When it becomes warmer I will fabricate a reinforced aluminum cover similar to the Alucab. Then it really will be the perfect tent.

I agree on everything here. I love the Line-X you had done to the shell too! So rad. A foxwing or Alucab would work fine and combined with the iKamper awning you have all sides covered with shade. Here is the hinge side open for clearance reference.
451C67DA-2BCF-42B2-912B-5AE2520ABB8D.jpeg
I have an Eezi Awn that fits fine. Worse case is you offset the tent on the rack a couple inches.
A4D5CE94-344F-4821-96B5-EDE72F0669F0.jpeg

Awesome. Thank you for the response. It is always good to hear from someone with firsthand experience with the product.

I am definitely drawn to this due to the larger size when deployed. That is the issue that I see with the tents that you also mention. It would be nice to ride out the storm in a bit more space than they can provide. I also find what you are saying about the fiberglass being a bit thin interesting. I hadn't thought about that until now. Hmmm.... This definitely gives me some food for thought. I have a Gobi rack so this tent seems like it would work well in conjunction with a Alu Cab shadow awn.

I really wish that there was something less than 150 lbs, but that is just what I might need to accept to get what I want.

All of these 80 series being posted are making me a little jealous!

I agree on everything here. I love the Line-X you had done to the shell too! So rad. A foxwing or Alucab would work fine and combined with the iKamper awning you have all sides covered with shade. Here is the hinge side open for clearance reference.

Thanks for posting the pic with the awning in place. That certainly seems like it will work well.

Awesome. Thank you for the response. It is always good to hear from someone with firsthand experience with the product.

I am definitely drawn to this due to the larger size when deployed. That is the issue that I see with the tents that you also mention. It would be nice to ride out the storm in a bit more space than they can provide. I also find what you are saying about the fiberglass being a bit thin interesting. I hadn't thought about that until now. Hmmm.... This definitely gives me some food for thought. I have a Gobi rack so this tent seems like it would work well in conjunction with a Alu Cab shadow awn.

I really wish that there was something less than 150 lbs, but that is just what I might need to accept to get what I want.

All I can say is that when you are traveling with the wife or gf, you will definitely have much more fun when you have more room side to side as well as enough headroom :grinpimp:

With a gobi rack you will definitely have no problem mounting what you need mounted.

When you have an empty roof rack and you start loading all sorts of stuff up there from gas to water to hi-lift etc etc etc, you generally have no idea how much weight you actually have accumulated up there. Plus in most cases the weight will not be evenly distributed. With the RTT up there, I know the weight does not change. I know what my center of gravity is. Plus you have the added benefit of not having all the bedding in the cabin so you gain a lot of space. I designed all the crap on my vehicle with weight distribution and center of gravity in mind. The RTT just makes a lot of sense for my purposes

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom