Igniter FJ80 1991 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Anybody had any luck with Standard Motor Products LX723 Ignition Control Module with their FJ80's?

I just went through 2 of these from Amazon and my tachometer stopped working after 10 seconds with this item installed. (I did receive a refund. I wanted to try a third one from Amazon, but they said refund only.) The engine ran, but not the tach. My original igniter is 26+ years old so I figured I'd do some preventative maintenance.
OEM is no longer available. What other after market igniters are working for folks?

(I put my original igniter back in and tach and engine work just fine, but I'd still like to get something new; not used - I've got a used one.)

Ed

Anybody had any luck with Standard Motor Products LX723 Ignition Control Module with their FJ80's?

I just went through 2 of these from Amazon and my tachometer stopped working after 10 seconds with this item installed. (I did receive a refund. I wanted to try a third one from Amazon, but they said refund only.) The engine ran, but not the tach. My original igniter is 26+ years old so I figured I'd do some preventative maintenance.
OEM is no longer available. What other after market igniters are working for folks?

(I put my original igniter back in and tach and engine work just fine, but I'd still like to get something new; not used - I've got a used one.)

Ed
I would pick up a used OEM igniter to keep as a spare and throw it in the parts box. When you need it, you have it.

I would pick up a used OEM igniter to keep as a spare and throw it in the parts box. When you need it, you have it.
Good advice, it will keep me from getting stranded. My coil failed (In my garage as luck would have it.) a few years ago and I was able to get a new OEM coil, so that part is up-to-date.

Good advice, it will keep me from getting stranded. My coil failed (In my garage as luck would have it.) a few years ago and I was able to get a new OEM coil, so that part is up-to-date.
My 91 was on its 3rd igniter when I sold her after 25 years. It's not an uncommon failure, but I wouldn't loose sleep over it either. It's one of those parts that sat in a parts box in my garage for years.
Spend some time looking through the classifieds or give Jason @arcteryx at cruiseryard a call.

After this thread the ignitor is the first thing that came out on the part out. It'll live in the truck for the day that it goes.

Ed
I experienced the same with my 1992 FJ80. Tach has been dead as a hammer since 2016. Now that I’m regearing to 4.88 with larger tires, I’m interested in reviving this gauge. ACC garage replaced the ICM twice with aftermarket parts, and the tach died on both quickly. The problem requiring a new ICM was failure to start when the engine was hot. I’ve had confident ignition for the past 5 years, but no tach. Last time I looked for OEM I didn’t have any luck. Nothing new available. I guess a used Toyota part with the aftermarket as a spare in the glovebox would get me where I wanna go.

Ed
I just went through two myself, finally found an Factory coil and igniter on eBay for 90.00…..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom