Idle belt noise - bit of squeeking/chirping (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
At idle, I'm noticing a little squeek/chirp. I'm pretty sure it sound like a belt judging by the rhythm of the noise.

Any idea what might be causing that? I know it's a vague question, but I bet someone knows exactly what it is...

I had this when the weather started to get colder during the fall for a few days and has since stopped. I figured it was belt and/or pulley related but since it stopped on it's own I've stopped thinking about it.

Have you/dealership cleaned the engine compartment recently? When I bought my new to me truck, the dealer had cleaned up the compartment and whatever spray they used was all over the belts. Took about a month along w/ some belt conditioning spray to get it to go away but it eventually did. I blame it on residual residue from being "cleaned".

Have you/dealership cleaned the engine compartment recently? When I bought my new to me truck, the dealer had cleaned up the compartment and whatever spray they used was all over the belts. Took about a month along w/ some belt conditioning spray to get it to go away but it eventually did. I blame it on residual residue from being "cleaned".

That's gotta be it. I'll give it a little time to dry out. Thanks Mogwai.

check your maintenance records if you have any from Toyota website or previous owner. Belts will chirp a little more when cold, but could also be early warning of belt wearing or tensioner pulley bearings starting to go.
tensioners are a common wear item on the Tundras. Don't hear as much about it here on the 200s.
If it gets worse, replace the belt and tensioner with OEM pulley. the aftermarket ones can be hit or miss with quality.

Is the OE tensioner adjustable?

If so, take a bit of slack out of the belt and see if it helps.

Mine will sometimes chirp when it's on a cold start.

The tensioner is not adjustable. Many Tundra guys would replace the belt with one a few mm shorter than stock to keep it from squeaking in cold weather.

The old belt stretches with time. Changing the belt if you take the belly pan off is pretty simple. Takes like 20 minutes and no more chirps when it's cold.

Funny, I have a chirp but only when it's above 70 degrees, Time to change the belt end tensioner???

They all do it, it's moisture. Hold a stick of dry lube onto the belt for 7 seconds or so while it's running. Problem solved.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom