ID'ing transfer case. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi everyone.

My 66 FJ45 is having transfer case problems, getting in and out of 4 low and 2wheel drive. I'm trying to find out what transfer case I have in it so I can look up schematics or get parts. The engine and tranny were upgraded before I got it and the guy who made it is not available. I have a 2f engine, one with that factory aluminum plugged hole on the cold side that has cost so many others their engine. My tyranny is a 5 speed. I cant find any numbers on it. Any ideas would be appreciated.

Pictures would really help. However, if it's mated to a 2F, my money is on an H55 with the matching split transfer case.

:cheers:

Pictures would really help. However, if it's mated to a 2F, my money is on an H55 with the matching split transfer case.

:cheers:

Here are the pics

IMGP5962.JPG
IMGP5968.JPG
IMGP5961.JPG

Later Split tcase.

Only major difference in the years is the size of the idler shaft. Which is easily measured.
It's the part in the middle of the tcase in this pic

transfer-case-1-jpg.473144

BTW, cool thing with the drum pbrake on the DL.

Most split tcases inthe US don't have that.

Later Split tcase.

Only major difference in the years is the size of the idler shaft. Which is easily measured.
It's the part in the middle of the tcase in this pic

transfer-case-1-jpg.473144
thanks,
34mm idler shaft on mine. where can I get schematics for it?

Last edited:
before tearing into the transfer case, did you disconnect the shift linkage and make sure it moves freely?
knowing the idler shaft size will help in getting the correct rebuild kit for the transfer case.

I don't know what year and model my H55f transmission and t-case came from. Just that the ideler shaft is 34mm. The linkage seems to work fine. Today I was able to 'pop' the 4 wheel drive shaft in with minimal pressure on a 18" bar. It is now in 2 wheel drive. I still get no feeling of internal movement when moving the top lever back and forth, between 4 low and 4 high. I'm wondering; Could the t-case is dry, is there a fill hole to check the fluid level by?

That looks like an 83-85 split case to me. Since it's a 34mm version that's your only possible answer and judging by the external ribs on the aluminum housing.
You can barrow that down a little but realistically the kit for the 34mm case will take care of your needs.
If you need parts for the transmission you'll have to remove it from the vehicle and look at the front retainer. The later retainer is shaped differently than the early unit. If you pull the retainer you can measure the input beating. That'll tell you for sure which version it is.
If I had to take a guess i'd say you have a first generation H55F and matching split case.
Georg @ Valley Hybrids & Cruiser Brothers

The fill hole is the big bolt that is down and to the left of the Idler shaft. It's very obvious on the pic I posted.

Did you purchase the FSM or download the PDF per my suggestion?!

That publication will work.
Both units use the same type oil.

That looks like an 83-85 split case to me. Since it's a 34mm version that's your only possible answer and judging by the external ribs on the aluminum housing.
You can barrow that down a little but realistically the kit for the 34mm case will take care of your needs.
If you need parts for the transmission you'll have to remove it from the vehicle and look at the front retainer. The later retainer is shaped differently than the early unit. If you pull the retainer you can measure the input beating. That'll tell you for sure which version it is.
If I had to take a guess i'd say you have a first generation H55F and matching split case.
The parts I was referring to would be in the t-case, not the transmission, like maybe a spring, locking ball or shift fork.

There are slight differences between the vacuum and mechanically shifted cases. Yours is mechanical and they're all the same ......... the only difference can be in the high-low for if you have an extra pressure switch that's actuated by that fork. Your case doesn't have that switch. So any fork and detent setup will work.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom