ICON Reservoir/CDC adjuster incompatible with Metal Tech sliders (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi All,
I just had an ICON Stage 3 lift installed and the support leg on my Metal Tech slider isn't allowing for correctly clocking the remote reservoir in order to access the CDC adjuster. The shop went ahead and installed the reservoir with the CDC wedged into the corner of the frame rail and slider support leg. I can't access the knob to make any adjustments.

I just took it back to the shop and the guy admits that they clocked the reservoir incorrectly just to make it fit. The shop says that they can maybe weld some type of reservoir clamp to the frame to maybe give enough room to access the adjuster.

Has anyone with Metal Tech sliders and ICON Stage 3 lift had this same issue? Here's pictures of the passenger side. Any thoughts?

Thanks.

IMG_0534.JPG

IMG_0535.JPG

IMG_0537.JPG

IMG_0536.JPG

Could you swap sides on the shocks? That would locate the knobs to the outside rather than inside. Then use a stand-off for the reservoir bracket to space away from the frame so the hoses clear the sliders? FWIW, I think you may still be better off than we were with our Slee sliders ;) :oops:

I was wondering if other sliders also had issues with the mount. I was thinkn maybe try another slider and sell the metal tech but i really like the metal tech slider. So slee sliders also have issues?

And dont think swapping sides will work. The driver side adjuster is also wedged into the corner between the frame and leg support. I can manage to get both index fingers into the driver side to turn the adjuster one way but cant turn it back.

The shocks should be mirror image, so unless it’s the camera angle, swapping sides looks like it’ll push both knobs further from the frame. Standoffs May or May not be needed at that point. Even without swapping sides, standoffs between the frame and brackets would fix the problem at some point, consideration would just need to be made for the additional leverage.

I have the ICON Stage 3 shocks and reservoirs on my '97 80 with what I think are older design Metaltech sliders. The install shown in your pics is essentially identical to mine. While I cannot see or read the position of the control knob in any way, or even photograph the setting, I can get my fingers on it to adjust the setting and can count the number of clicks or detents from the full CW or CCW position to get the desired setting.

Thanks for the feedback. I also believe my sliders are the older MetalTech’s.

Just an observation, but you may want to either buffer (pipe insulation) or zip tie the reservoir hose to the sway bar link so it doesn't rub/wear... From the picture it looks like it might rub the shaft or bushing retainer edges...

Yes I am concerned about the hose rubbing against the sway bar link and it also contacts the edge of the channels to what i think are the body mounts. The hose also rubs against the gusset on the slider leg supports.

Also, the more I think about it I think Steve may have the solution. I didnt think that the shocks were side specific but switching each side appears it would orient the adjuster knob more outwards.

I usually just wrap some old rubber hose around the area that might run and then zip tie...

Adding update to this informative thread. For Slee slider fitment concern from post #2, sharing my aft mount clearance w/rear reservoirs ICON 2.5 CDCV 0-3" 57802CP box dated 8/30/2022 for ref. Found hose length + adj knob access 👌 with this combo.

icon-slee-usds_lastbracket.jpg
icon-slee-usds_hose.jpg

^pardon my split loom addition 🤔

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom