I heard a rumor about; Gears! (1 Viewer)

With a little research it seems that one can take a 4.88 gearset out of a 92-95 4runner/Pickup and this would be a direct bolt on for 1986-1989 4runner.

If true, this sounds like a great way to regear. Does anyone know if this is a good way to go?

Sorry NMOverland, not trying to be a complete jack hole. Just gotta poke fun here and there. 92-95 4runners have the unique 4:88 gear set that cannot be swapped with other gear sets. Great if you find some for a good price but are considered one time use (in my opinion) if you break them. Tons of threads out there on them. Hope that helps.

Dumpolina

SILVER Star
Yes. I might have a set
I apologize I will rephrase.
yes diffs interchange. I have 4.88 rear 3rd and front 7.5 from a 4Runner in my 94 p/u. I have not done it but assume the 86-89 7.5 is the same as the 90-94, aside from possible ADD
I thought I had an extra pair but only have my backup set. I do have a contact I Albuquerque that probably has a pair but his prices are a little high lately. PM me if you want his info

With a little research it seems that one can take a 4.88 gearset out of a 92-95 4runner/Pickup
you want to swap the whole third member, not just the gear set
They are found in the following

• ‘92-‘95 4Runner, IFS, V6, 31” tires, auto transmission, tow package
  • ‘92-‘95 pickup, IFS, V6, 31” tires, auto transmission, tow package
The vehicle will also usually have:

1. door tag code of G144
  2. white pinion paint code - the end of the pinion (driveshaft removed) will have paint on it

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom