I got stuck in the snow... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey All, Been getting lots of snow here in michigan as of late. Just had to take a little detour on the way to the grocery store, only problem is I never made it to the store.

I was at a friends farm, driving thru old corn fields and then I decided to push the envelope a little bit. Next to his farm is a plot of land that was going to be developed into sprawl housing, but the deal fell thru and all that got done was some earth moving.

Basically I got stuck in a erosion trench, yea I know, kinda embarrassing.:whoops:

A jeep tried to pull me out and could not....:confused: not really any surprise there.
Had to get saved by an FJ Cruiser, this was truley a bad day...
Have a good laugh over these..
Stuck001.jpg

Stuck002.jpg

Stuck003.jpg

Have to say thanks to seth, who hangs in the FJ cruiser and 80 Series section for coming to my rescue.:cheers:

With tires like that, I wouldn't even be driving on pavement in that weather.

( :

You got stuck in a field not in the snow. If it had been only raining, I bet you still would have been stuck.

Beautiful though. I was in MI this Christmas.

getting yourself some traction means you can go more places with less aggressive tires.

LOL, thanks for the link...I really want to find some clean black steelies and put on some aggressive tires. That way when I commute to work I can have the nice highway friendly tires and on the weekend I can have the good ones to play with.

The only other problem I am having other than traction is the open diffs, maby something could be done about that...keeping in mind there is no spare room under the hood for air compressors and such. Maby cable lockers, if they are even made for 4runners.

I have herd of electric lockers also, but just to damn busy right now. maby in a few months...

LOL, thanks for the link...I really want to find some clean black steelies and put on some aggressive tires. That way when I commute to work I can have the nice highway friendly tires and on the weekend I can have the good ones to play with.

The only other problem I am having other than traction is the open diffs, maby something could be done about that...keeping in mind there is no spare room under the hood for air compressors and such. Maby cable lockers, if they are even made for 4runners.

I have herd of electric lockers also, but just to damn busy right now. maby in a few months...

Nothing for the IFS front but a pocket locker (which I would NOT recommend) or a Detroit TruTrac, which I would.

Then I would recommend a TRD for the rear. Downey can hook you up with a cable.

People pee on the cables actuators from Downey, but I have a feeling they want to flip a switch and have it work. I have a feeling you have to "mesh" the collar before it would work and that's just my theory why others have poo pooed it.

just a hunch....

Or get yourself a PowerTrax Lockright for the rear....NOT the "lock right" the "POWER TRAX" LOCKRIGHT.

I think it has syncros in it for better, softer turns. IDK for sure though..

I would have a funny feeling about putting a locker in an IFS differential...
I think I would like a rear locker very much, the FJ cruiser that pulled me out had a rear locker in it, very nice addition. Around town when the locker is disengaged you get perfect stock drivibility, and when its locks you get better traction off road.
I was sitting in the snow with only one front and one rear wheel spinning, not going anywhere.

Dident some 3rd gen 4runners come with a rear locker, is this the one you are talking about?
I have a spare axle housing I could use, it needs a good sandblasting however.

I would only be concerned with the install of the shifter lever, I dont want to butcher my interior.

for the rear I would save up for a selectable if it is your dd.

if you are afraid of mounting a simple cable then you need to get some thing else to wheel. you will be just sick the first time you lay it on it's side.

if you are going to ask for input, say thank you, don't argue.
take the advice as you will.

I have a power trax locker in the front of my truck. it has held up for 4 or 5 years but now is not locking all the time, and it takes a long time to lock. 3 or 4 turns of the other tire.
I will only use Detroit full replacement lockers from now on. they have been around for 50 years or so.

you could easy do the electric locker in the rear, there are many write UPS on how to wire them. but you have to engage them before you need them. they take a bit of time to lock and if you are stuck they might not lock up right away.
like shifting with out the clutch, they have to be lined up to engage. half engagement means broken parts.

I would not wheel my daily driver. buy a second truck for wheeling. my wife and I both have trucks that are built about the same. extra trucks that is. yeah it seems expensive, but you have to go to work. we can drive one home, take off the needed parts and go get the other one. but we don't have to do it to get to work.

so if you want to wheel, get a toy, a second truck that you are not afraid to mod. that you can play and not worry much.

un less you belong to a really bad group of wheelers.

they will not leave you out there, there will always be some one to tow you home, help you out, get you off the trail.

always pay them back big time, dinner card for them, and make it big enough to have what ever they want. or just pay them.
a tow off the trail, and home I usually figure around 100.00 bucks. any more that is just dinner for them and a second couple. I have never been left out on the trail. but I also reward people for helping me.

you figure a tow truck, if you can find one that will go down the trail. this is way cheap. I bet some of my mess up's the tow truck would have been in the 500.00 range. one would have been in the 1000.00s.

join a group, they helped me because (I have) or would have helped them.

we have 5 plus trail trucks. but we enjoy the 3 plus trails just as much or more. no worries if the truck will do it and drive home.

so you need to look at what kind of wheeling you want to do.
sounds like you only want to do the 2 or 3 plus trails. that is scratches but not much of a chance of serious damage.

I mean come on, you are worried about drilling a hole for a cable locker???????

also I will say, you really need to look at your truck. it is nothing but steal.. if it gets wrecked you can replace it. you can't replace your self.
wheeling, you have to change your thoughts, it is fun, you don't want to break down, you don't want to roll, you do want to push it and have fun.

perspective,,,,, if you do roll lets say.. you tuck in, wreck your truck. oh cost of replacement of the truck, lets just say 10,000.

now you stick your arm out, truck is still wrecked, truck, 10,000.
your arm???? hospital, ex rays, ct, mri, re hab, 100,000.00..

you sound like a real new person to the wheeling world.

just look at what is fun for you. but the truck is disposable..
always keep that in mind.

how did we go off on this tangent?
Arnt internet fourms around for the sake of argument?
I was only expressing concerns about taking a butchers knife to my interior, I want a clean install. No I demand it! If it can be cleanly integrated into the vehicle than great, if not other options might be looked into.
I started this thread to show off a few funny stuck pictures...If I wanted to get preeched at I would go to church and get with god.
Your 100% correct, my truck is replacable, arms are not.

I am looking for a high milage 80 series to wheel, I believe they are the best build toyota I could find in my price range. plus the 1FZ is kick ass....

I think he's worried about how this would fit in with a DDs interiors...which is understandable...

CC_L_0013.jpg

(Purple, read the below link. I meant the Powertrax: "no slip" :whoops: not the powertrax/ Richmond gear "lockright". Powertrax also makes a clone of the Detroit "EZ locker" and Richmond gear "lockright". And the Aussie works the same way.)
Downey Off-Road

Last edited:
I was only expressing concerns about taking a butchers knife to my interior, I want a clean install. No I demand it! If it can be cleanly integrated into the vehicle than great, if not other options might be looked into.
I started this thread to show off a few funny stuck pictures...If I wanted to get preeched at I would go to church and get with god.

I am looking for a high milage 80 series to wheel, I believe they are the best build toyota I could find in my price range. plus the 1FZ is kick ass....

wow, steping down off the box. sorrry didn't mean to offend.
I don't know much about toyota's.

I would have a funny feeling about putting a locker in an IFS differential...

The Detroit TrueTrac is not a full locker, but rather a limited slip diff. I have them in front and back for my daily driver, it is awesome in the snow and ice, as well as most trail conditions. This setup is true four wheel drive and does not break traction in cornering. Me likey a WHOLE lot :p

Anyhow, as far as your IFS, the "Slip" part of LSD makes this the ideal traction devise in terms of stress/strain. Another benefit IMO is, its always on, there is no button, switch, connection or compressor.

PS, all these comments are for daily drivers in the snow, in particular. I realize they are not the ideal traction for every driver and situation.

Last edited:
missouri, no offense taken. You probally know more about toyotas then I do...

Hilux, thanks for understanding my view. I drive about 80 miles per day, with work, gym, grocery store etc all added up. Back when I was in high school and rocking my wranger I used to think that all that interior stuff was not needed and a waste. I was wrong. Its nice to have windows that roll down, espically when you have to swipe out of the parking lot...a radio/cd player is nice also. Rear defroster is cool also.
With that being said I really dont want to carve up my inners. I think a trd e-locker would be the best. Espically if it can be wired up cleanly.

How does that front LSD drive? With 4x4 engaged? and w/o it engaged. Do you have auto disconnecting differential? does it make a difference in 2 wheel drive with front hubs locked?

Funny, I also have a spare IFS diff outback, as well as a bare 4 link axle houing to set up for the elocker.

thanks for the advice:steer:

Espically if it can be wired up cleanly.

How does that front LSD drive? With 4x4 engaged? and w/o it engaged. Do you have auto disconnecting differential? does it make a difference in 2 wheel drive with front hubs locked?

Funny, I also have a spare IFS diff outback, as well as a bare 4 link axle houing to set up for the elocker.

thanks for the advice:steer:

1st off, IMO, get rid of the ADD. You'll pick up a minuscule amount of mpg's, but where the mod will be best is, if you break something you can disengage the hub from the shaft. And you pickup 2low ability.

2nd, there is a great thread in here somewhere about wiring a TRD. I have no idea where or how to start looking for it.

3rd, the helical gear, limited slip is somewhat like a Torsen.

Detroit TrueTrac® Differential

I am just saying that if you want to have (relaxed) fun.
don't wheel your daily driver.

I just could not believe how much more fun I have.
even more now that the wife has her own, not daily driver wheeler.

get some thing that will hold the family with safety gear that you are not afraid to scratch.. or even flop on its side..

much better relaxed good time. just trying to share and lead folks down the trail.

well I hope that you find your wheeling truck, this is not a tangent. this is about having fun on the trail.... dent, scratch, should not mess up your good time around the camp fire, or mess you up getting to work....
sorry if I came off wrong. just trying to teach the new people how to have fun out wheeling. wheeling you will not keep your truck nice for long. it will happen, you just need to be prepared for it...

have fun, be safe. off the soap box again. I really have a hard time not stepping up on it when I see some one making the same mistakes that I did...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom