I am yet again bringing you a Head-gasket rebuild thread (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

To be concerned about? Exhaust smokes as per usual when starting but it’s -10c and snowing so it’s burning off condensation to my knowledge. Oil on dipstick looks great. There is some milky residue/oil that has been getting collected in the pcv catch can which I’m assuming is again from the cold and condensation...

View attachment 2547813View attachment 2547815
Normal.

Ignore the milky stuff under the plastic cap and in the catch can.

Normal.

Ignore the milky stuff under the plastic cap and in the catch can.

27 years and ~214,000 miles into my ownership I have never encountered this. :hmm:

27 years and ~214,000 miles into my ownership I have never encountered this. :hmm:
It's because you regularly drive it and the moisture is burned out of the oil.

People who do short trips and don't get to full operating temperature to boil off the moisture will see this on the areas that cool the fastest. The oil fill cap and an oil catch can on the pcv system. Only happens in cold climates on cold humid days......

Or........you never check the oil so you never know you need to add and remove the oil fill cap.....

And yours is always garaged.....

It's because you regularly drive it and the moisture is burned out of the oil.

People who do short trips and don't get to full operating temperature to boil off the moisture will see this on the areas that cool the fastest. The oil fill cap and an oil catch can on the pcv system. Only happens in cold climates on cold humid days......

Or........you never check the oil so you never know you need to add and remove the oil fill cap.....

And yours is always garaged.....

Um, I can count the number of nights my 80 has been in a garage on................one hand. :meh:

That's why it has been painted twice.

If you would like to finance a garage for me, I will be all over it. :grinpimp:

Let's make that heated and with a nice hoist.

Last edited:
For now it doesn’t worry me to much, im not burning any coolant and it’s not pushing it into the overflow container anymore! So knock on wood I’m good to go!

Bushings day! Two bolts on both control arms came loose. Both fronts did not, even with a 7ft breaker bar and heat from a torch nothing...

Ended up just impact guning the serrated nuts off on the axle side and then cutting the bolt with a angle grinder. Running a chairlift bolt temporary until my Toyota ones come in.

The 20tone press we had at work make quick work of pushing in the fresh bushings. To get them out I used the press to push out the rubber and then used an air chisel to remove the metal bushing. Then used an air grinder to clean up any chisel marks and pushed in new bushings...

One side down other side tomorrow. It sucks working on a freshly undercoated truck lol

9CE69A89-E131-42CA-BBAE-88B43AA8A16F.jpeg
C29BE0CB-ACF6-44D0-845D-421FCF3096BE.jpeg
AD5640E9-828C-42C4-8E3A-BB994DB752C0.jpeg
A1C2595F-9B44-4829-93F2-467C57423EF4.jpeg
DBC3CC37-B5AC-4D91-94FC-3641CD362BC5.jpeg

Turn the part with the WASHER, not the serrated part. Most are the nuts that are serrated, but some are the bolt heads that are serrated. So, turn the end with the washer when taking it loose. Mostly will be the bolt. That way you don't eat holes in your brackets.
Yes from my understanding it’s turn the bolts on the Axle side and the nuts on the frame side

130ftlbs frame
127ftlbs axle

Project project projects! May be getting laid off we will see what happens with covid-19 things. If so hoping to head Mountain way and do some ski-bumming like the olden day’s.

Setting up the backend for some living as I’m not keen on sleeping in the RTT. Adding little wings to the drawers I made some time ago. Nothing fancy just something thatll work and hold up the foamie better

Made some little pucks to sit under the 2nd row brackets so the back end of them is level with the drawers while folded down. Nice level surface.

I’ll need to grab some
More photos tomorrow!

23C7351C-08C5-41F3-8424-5240A67A349F.jpeg

Also grabbed some new rubber while Canadian tire had a sale. Always have gone with duratracs never had anything different to be honest on any of my cruisers. I like em.
0521CCCE-DC30-44F8-AF6B-87D03CF04303.jpeg

5478B0A5-3074-4F97-A70A-B23170520A55.jpeg
628A9866-119A-455D-8A5D-75C2E6621663.jpeg

Well it’s pretty much finished up now, both sides are done, may cover it with some leftover carpet I have somewhere. But for now it’s functional!
DEA2AB15-8F22-408E-9780-644B083C7D26.jpeg
3E80F3F8-6456-4842-AF35-F217A9E4005B.jpeg
95930E07-93DA-441C-A6B9-8E635E9BD1F3.jpeg
EC913C3B-846A-4D2A-BB6F-6AF5CC4E55EF.jpeg
DDB43D68-F487-456E-A400-F8E59941575D.jpeg

J,
Truck is looking fantastic man. That storage looks good too!
A
Thanks man appreciate it! Now I’ve gotta decide wether I make a platform and remove the 2nd row seats for added storage or just leave it lol

Noticed a lot of clunking the other week while driving over bumps.. i was stumped thought it was maybe some of my control arm bolts working loose so i re-torqued them to spec. The shock was a little loose so I tightened it up.. then i wiggled my wheel 12-6 and from 9-3 and play both directions. The wheel bearing was loose and my rear TRE on the drivers side was on its way out. Oh, and i filled up the knuckles with some more molly grease.

IMG_4335.JPG
IMG_4349.JPG
IMG_4343.JPG

Anyways figured id just tighten up the wheel bearing at the moment as it was -15C outside and i didn't feel like messing around for hours. I got the preload too high and it was getting hot after driving. I just touch the hub to see if it's warm, so I left it for a few days and ripped it all apart and repacked my old bearings.

Geez. I cant imagine doing that kind of work outside in that kind of cold! Hell, I think its too cold here in New Mexico! I guess when you've spent most of your life in Las Vegas anything under 50 degrees is too cold!:D

So after repacking the front end it felt great, could drive for a while and no noticeable heat change from either side hubs. They felt equal. Great!

Keep on daily driving and while doing my after driving check when I got home the day after I found the driver's side rotor was quite hot...? strange maybe a sticky piston. I left it for a week or so as I wasn't driving much and when I did it was only for a few KMs.

Dug into it today as its the first warm day in a while, took out the pads. They look great still new in the summer. Pushed all the pistons in, none were even the slightest sticky.. cycled them one and pushed back in again. Applied new brake grease to the pad pins and back of pads. Took it for a 10 min drive and got back and same old same old, super hot rotor... My conclusion is either my old crusty cracked brake line is expanding/ballooning and not letting the pistons dis-engage at all or the calliper is sticky? Just seems odd as all the pistons cycled super smoothly.

Not sure if anyone has had this happen or any ideas? I May have to swap the lines, I have some OEM soft spare lines in a box somewhere. Hopefully, they arnt severely sized

IMG_4937.JPG
IMG_4946.JPG
IMG_4947.JPG
IMG_4953.JPG
IMG_4956.JPG

Geez. I cant imagine doing that kind of work outside in that kind of cold! Hell, I think its too cold here in New Mexico! I guess when you've spent most of your life in Las Vegas anything under 50 degrees is too cold!:D
Man, it is what it is, Just gotta bundle up and suck it up. Someday if I work hard ill be able to be a grown-up and buy a house with a garage. Haven't had a rental yet with a tall enough garage.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom