Hy Steer

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So I have an 85 Runner and I am going to buy Hy Steer for it. I was wondering which was better Marlin or All Pro. From what the sites say they both use the same parts and the only dif is Marlin uses billet steel and All Pro uses chromoly steel for the steering arms. There is about a $40 price dif so that doesn't matter. Was wanting to know what people have experienced with the two and if there is any pro's or con's to either one. Thanks for any help.

i sure hope some one has info i am going to have to do this soon just seen that my steering box is leaking on my 84. there are other hy-steer out there too.

I've ran the marlin, and the trail gear. My friends have also run the sky and all pro stuff.

The marlin kit was great. Worked perfect, and lasted me 5 years until i sold the truck, with no issues.

My trail gear kit is OK, but the tie rod ends are junk. I tossed on 555's from all pro. I didn't have any choices as I'm running 6 stud knuckles.

The sky kits I have seen have some major problems, including having the trunion pin fall out. Also, their tre's are junk.

I think you will have great results with either kit. Just make sure to replace the knuckle studs and nuts when you install the highsteer kit.

I run Marlin on the 4Runner, and I had AllPro on my xcab.

My choice is Marlin. The only comment I will make is the tie-rod ends. The aftermarket stuff that Marlin, AllPro, and Trailgear sells are not worth it. They come with the kit so run them. But when they fail OEM Toyota is cheaper when you factor in the shipping. In fact, they might have been less with my MUD discount from CruiserDan. BTDT.

I also bought my drag-link and tie-rod from Marlin for my FJ40 project. Custom length, no problem. I used 4x4 Labs arms on the FJ40 because they are trick (tie rod behind the diff FZJ80 style). I don't think they will work on the mini's.

Another comment on Marlin. He is good for the Toyota community. I was at Cruise Moab a month ago. Marlin was there, supported the auction, and was one of a small handful of companies set up for vendor night. The other guys? I spent money at vendor night and bought his trick axle seals, which he discounted for the event. I also won his trick pinon seal at the raffle, along with some other stuff from three other companies.

Bottom line, Marlin is loyal to the Toyota 4x4 community, which creates loyalty with his customers.

Marlin
[/thread]

i have the trailgear kit and it has been good except 2 knuckle studs did shear off and i had to put all new better studs on and i am beginning to suspect one of my TRE's what should i ask for at auto part store ?????? FJ80??? 555???

555 is the brand. I'd just order then from all pro, or get an OEM toyota one from cdan or toyota of dallas.

I run Marlin on the 4Runner, and I had AllPro on my xcab.

My choice is Marlin. The only comment I will make is the tie-rod ends. The aftermarket stuff that Marlin, AllPro, and Trailgear sells are not worth it. They come with the kit so run them. But when they fail OEM Toyota is cheaper when you factor in the shipping. In fact, they might have been less with my MUD discount from CruiserDan. BTDT.

I also bought my drag-link and tie-rod from Marlin for my FJ40 project. Custom length, no problem. I used 4x4 Labs arms on the FJ40 because they are trick (tie rod behind the diff FZJ80 style). I don't think they will work on the mini's.

Another comment on Marlin. He is good for the Toyota community. I was at Cruise Moab a month ago. Marlin was there, supported the auction, and was one of a small handful of companies set up for vendor night. The other guys? I spent money at vendor night and bought his trick axle seals, which he discounted for the event. I also won his trick pinon seal at the raffle, along with some other stuff from three other companies.

Bottom line, Marlin is loyal to the Toyota 4x4 community, which creates loyalty with his customers.

Couldnt have said it better. I run the Marlin and really the only kit out there that is better than Marlin's kit (but costs about $100 more) is the 4x4 Labs kit, which Luke does make for mini trucks and 4runners.

I support Marlin for those exact reasons you stated. Also one thing to note is that Trail Gear's high steer set up does not come with greasable tie rod ends anymore.... how lame is that?

Couldnt have said it better. I run the Marlin and really the only kit out there that is better than Marlin's kit (but costs about $100 more) is the 4x4 Labs kit, which Luke does make for mini trucks and 4runners.

I support Marlin for those exact reasons you stated. Also one thing to note is that Trail Gear's high steer set up does not come with greasable tie rod ends anymore.... how lame is that?

the 555's from all pro are not greasable either.

I've been running the sky crosover steering on my Toyota mini axles for five years with no trouble or breakage with them at all.I do check the torque on my steering stud before every trail ride. I'm happy with them.

I re-tapped my Knuckles for Dana 44 Grade 8 Steering Arm studs, cone washers, and nuts. I purchased a set of OTT Arms already drilled and Tapered for these studs from Jim at Inchworm. Jim hooked me up with everything I needed.

Been running it 4 years trouble free with GM 1 ton tre's

d44_stud_1.JPG

d44_stud_10.JPG

d44_stud_11.JPG

d44_stud_12.JPG

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom