HVAC woes.... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Yet another thread on home HVAC issues....
House built in 1999
Main R410a HVAC (outside unit) replaced in 2010 and Evap coil replace in 2012 and supposedly still under warranty
Spent $600 last year on R410a to refill system in August.
Turned on this year and no cold air.
Told I have a leak, not likely systems as no evidence of oil leaks in either unit.
AC repair company wants $2500 to chase the leak down.
Unfortunately, this involves tearing out my basement ceiling in one area to find it.
Is this realistic cost or am I getting fleeced.
Can I install a new lineset myself and have someone button up the ends and refill?

Please advise?

The other year, I nicked the refrigerant line with a hedge trimmer. Just to have them come out, splice the line, and refill the system was $400. As you say, you paid $600 just for a refill.

The $2500 may be on the high side, but going through and finding the leak is going to take time so I wouldn’t say they’re fleecing you. I’d definitely do any preparatory work myself. No use paying an HVAC tech $$$ an hour to open up the ceiling and expose everything. If they can walk in and see everything they need to that should reduce their time and your costs.

I'm not sure why you're paying for things that sound like they fall under the warranty, unless the line kit didn't get changed when the new unit went in and that's where the leak is. If you change out the line kit yourself, then expect them not to warranty the rest of the system, but it doesn't sound like the current warranty means crap, regardless.

^^ This, actually.

I skimmed over the dates and that it was under warranty. Unless they can point to you doing something to cause the leak (like my hedge trimmer episode… :rolleyes:) it should be their installation that is having problems.

The first company sucks....
Called a second company, they pressure tested and found the leak for $250. Now to decide to spend $5k on a new system or $1k repairing my old system. Thoughts. Current system is goodman and is known for problems.

I take it that it isn’t under warranty?
Yes, it is not per goodman even though it is less than 10yrs old. The lennox system for furnace is at year 18, so I am at the end of the life expectancy.
As an update here are some of my options.

Option 1)
Coil repair and repair lineset ( I buy refridgerant, coil and pay an independent guy) est $1000

Option 2 Retailer 1) financing available
Lennox system base 2.5 ton 14 seer and 80 efficient heater and linset repair and 1yr 3 system maintenance cost $4500
zoned lennox system 3 ton 14 seer and 80 efficient and lineset repair and 1 yr 2 system maintenance (eliminate basement unit and I drop down to 2 systems instead of 3) cost $9500
Note: zoned systems are highly inefficient based on what sytem they propose.

Option 3 Retailer 2)
Carrier performance 16 seer and 80 % efficent 2 stage gas with variable speed and 2 yr 3 system maintenance Cost $7500 (36 month financing)
The same company that installed the system upstairs prior to me buying the home.

I am waiting to hear from 2 other carrier dealers in the area and also looking at an independent that does Lennox Ducane and Airease systems. Anyone know how good these are?

I am leaning to option 3 as I see option 1 may buy me 2 years given it is goodman crap....

Thoughts????

The Carrier system (furnace and condenser/Compressor) only is between 3.5k to 5k max for your system (to the supplier), so $7500 for the system is fair depending on the area you live in and complexity of the system, but ask for a 90-95% efficient system for the same price. IIRC, the prices between 80% and 95% isn't much to factory dealers (~<$700). If they are only replacing the units and not doing any duct work, you should get a few more quotes.

American Standard also makes good units, Carriers are also very good. I would stay away from Goodman and have no experience with Lennox or the other brands. Repair parts are readily available for Carriers and American Standard everywhere and I have had no issues with mine so far.

Btw, the cost to install the lineset for $2500 is crazy high..... You can probably run it yourself if you really wanted to and have them do the connections. The cost of a lineset is less than $200 depending on length of copper tubing. Call a local RE Michael and ask how much it is.

Stick with a brand that you can get parts for easily and stay away from zoned systems. More to go wrong down the line, and to be honest a PIA to adjust.

I would go with the Carrier system, just get a more efficient furnace included in the price. DO NOT allow that guy to repair the lineset for $2500. That's robbery.

If you are in the Northern VA area let me know.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom