HVAC UV Air Purifier (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I just got a new HVAC system installed and I think it would be nice to complete it with a UV air Purifier. There is not a lot of information about these but the HVAC guy highly recommended one and told me that I could save a lot of $$$ installing it myself. I read that you need at least a 36 W bulb to kill viruses and some are mounted in the return air shaft and some are mounted in the plenum above the A/C evaporator. If found this one http://www.alpinehomeair.com/viewproduct.cfm?productID=227 which meets the 36 W criteria and the bulbs are easily changed. Does anyone have any recommendations or information? Thanks in advance for your suggestions.

Here is my thought and I may be all wrong. Put it above the coils. Most of the mold you get forms on those coils By putting it there at least your keeping spores from making it past the coil and might help with killing the mold/ algae that grows on one side.

I called tech support and they recommended the more powerful version that goes above the evaporator. As Trollhole stated you get the benefit of keeping the coil clean of mold and mildew and the air passing through the system gets zapped. The fan runs all the time and is variable speed. it runs really slow when the system is not cooling so hopefully the air is moving at a slow enough speed to give the UV light sufficient time to sterilize the air. Also, the HVAC people moved my Aprilaire humidifier to the top of the return air shaft. The instructions stated that the UV unit cannot be mounted below a humidifier or water source so the above the coil was my only choice.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom