Hundy TRD Supercharger Newbie Guide (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I sent mine in to be rebuilt a few weeks ago to Magnuson Superchargers (maker for TRD sc) I have over 150,000 miles on mine and never had it serviced.

Magnuson called me back with bad news and good news and better news. Bad news, the unit has a crack on the nose area and it will cost $1300 to fix. Good news, they have parts for it. Better news, they have a brand new unit sitting on the shelf - they couldn't sell it after TRD wanted them discontinued - since mine is a "repair" they can sell me this new one in EXCHANGE for my old unit (which sadly will be recycled).

I installed the new unit (also a new starter since it's right there). I also had my fuel injectors flow tested and cleaned and new plugs. Just got back from weekend of driving it. Got up to 106F in the central valley (Ca) and power is good and no CEL. Drove close to 600 miles and all is good.

It turned out better than expected being able to get a new unit with zero miles. The truck has 200,000 miles now and it's good for at least another 100,000.

From all the reviews that I read, I only see feedback like the power is good or the vehicle is more responsive now etc but never a real answer of satisfaction of way improvements. Never found a video of showing TRD sc real power while performing or 0-60 improvement. I juste it's just 30-40whp increase from what I read.

I need some help with this project (I am not a gearhead). I am buying a TRD Supercharger 4.7L used in a 2004 tundra. It was professionally removed and everything is there minus whatever was needed to keep the Tundra moving.

My questions:
1.) What piggyback system should I buy to make it work in my 2002 LX470? I believe I have the japanese engine which shouldn't have the connector rod problem.
2.) How much RWHP should I expect? I see some people saying its only 40HP/40TQ or so and I see others that say 80+.
3.) Should I bother sending it to magnacharter to refurbish even though it only has 15k miles?
4.) What boost gauge matches the dash best?
5.) Do I need a different pulley?
6.) Should I bother with headers or exhaust? Gains will probably be marginal. I wish there was a way to add an intercooler to this setup. Do I need a custom ECU program?
7.) What do I need to do the transmission? I am planning 7-8 lbs of boost

Any help/advice is greatly appreciated! Here are the pics:

9262244911_1ba234ee98_n.jpg

9265019380_57c6e2b19e_n.jpg

I need some help with this project (I am not a gearhead). I am buying a TRD Supercharger 4.7L used in a 2004 tundra. It was professionally removed and everything is there minus whatever was needed to keep the Tundra moving.

My questions:
1.) What piggyback system should I buy to make it work in my 2002 LX470? I believe I have the japanese engine which shouldn't have the connector rod problem.
2.) How much RWHP should I expect? I see some people saying its only 40HP/40TQ or so and I see others that say 80+.
3.) Should I bother sending it to magnacharter to refurbish even though it only has 15k miles?
4.) What boost gauge matches the dash best?
5.) Do I need a different pulley?
6.) Should I bother with headers or exhaust? Gains will probably be marginal. I wish there was a way to add an intercooler to this setup. Do I need a custom ECU program?
7.) What do I need to do the transmission? I am planning 7-8 lbs of boost

Any help/advice is greatly appreciated! Here are the pics:

9262244911_1ba234ee98_n.jpg

9265019380_57c6e2b19e_n.jpg

1. Which one did you get when you acquired the unit? I used everything from the uninstall and didn't need to buy anything else.
2. Never dyno'ed my rig, there was enough new oomph in the seat of my pants that I didn't care.
3. I did, but my unit had 80k on it. I didn't want to take it off again. They only charged me $250 for the full once over and did some maintenance.
4. There is a TRD boost gauge. I see one on ebay from time to time for $180-300. I went with a PLX device, but have yet to find a good way to mount it on the A Pillar.
5. No
6. I did header and exhaust, I noticed a pretty big difference. No custom ECU needed provided you got the TRD ECU. If you didn't be prepared to fork over $1000 to URD
7. Nothing needed.

00N8: I have the 2004 TRD ECU and need the 2002 ECU. Will UniChip solve this?

You are convincing me to buy the Doug Thorley header and the exhaust. I haven't seen a cold air intake anywhere yet. I most likely will order a Defi Boost gauge and mount it on A-Pillar instead of the UniChip device.

I saw some thread somewhere where someone was suggesting gear box oil cooler to keep transmission cool. If I find one I might consider this. Is there some kind of intercooler available for the engine/super charger? Is there any other engine performance mod left to consider?

00N8: I have the 2004 TRD ECU and need the 2002 ECU. Will UniChip solve this?

You are convincing me to buy the Doug Thorley header and the exhaust. I haven't seen a cold air intake anywhere yet. I most likely will order a Defi Boost gauge and mount it on A-Pillar instead of the UniChip device.

I saw some thread somewhere where someone was suggesting gear box oil cooler to keep transmission cool. If I find one I might consider this. Is there some kind of intercooler available for the engine/super charger? Is there any other engine performance mod left to consider?

Hmmm... I didn't have the ecu issue that you do. I would skip the unichip and get the Urd ecu, much more customizable. Especially if you get new exhaust. My exhaust is a combo of Doug thorley headers and ems midpipes/catback and an additional muffler to defeat the drone.

If you find a good a pillar housing for the boost gauge please post it.

I didn't muck with the tranny oil cooler but would consider it. Again if you find a source please post it here.

Sent from my iPad using IH8MUD

I saw some thread somewhere where someone was suggesting gear box oil cooler to keep transmission cool. If I find one I might consider this.

If you do this, get one with a thermostat and bypass or it will run cold most of its life.

Spot on, sorry about that. It is the 00602-17620-401.

Anybody by chance have a Toyota part number for the 100 Series specific ECU? Obviously it is long gone in the US parts system but perhaps I can use it to find a used one?

This is from a 2004 Tundra, can someone tell me if this works with a 2002 LX470?? (If I have to buy chip its ok):
top of sc: 60-60-47-002 and underneath sc: 60.20.41.40

This is from a 2004 Tundra, can someone tell me if this works with a 2002 LX470?? (If I have to buy chip its ok):
top of sc: 60-60-47-002 and underneath sc: 60.20.41.40

Read through the installation manuals for the different years of kits I posted in the first post of this thread. All the part numbers and listed in there.

Hmmm... I didn't have the ecu issue that you do. I would skip the unichip and get the Urd ecu, much more customizable. Especially if you get new exhaust. My exhaust is a combo of Doug thorley headers and ems midpipes/catback and an additional muffler to defeat the drone.

Thanks for the tip! Were you speaking of this product from URD:
Map-ECU goes Wireless with the new WiFi Upgrade!!
http://urdusa.com/Electronics-Performance-Electronics/c66_72/p1260519159/Map-ECU3-Fuel-and-Ignition-Control-WiFi/product_info.html

I want to make sure before ordering it. This may solve my need for the boost gauge as I may just install an IPAD Mini and mount it somewhere to see all the vitals. I wonder if it can show me transmission temperature and air fuel ratio.

After reading more posts I am planning to order the EMSPOWERED exhaust and their new headers but debating about the sound issue. I would prefer my exhaust and headers to be as silent as possible. I do alot of speeding and I don't want to attract more attention from the police.

Read through the installation manuals for the different years of kits I posted in the first post of this thread. All the part numbers and listed in there.

I asked because I didn't see this part number listed in either instruction manual. It came off of a 2004 Tundra. I read somewhere that any TRD unit can be used but in my case I need a different piggyback since I am going from a 2004 to a 2002.

I wanted to thank you for this post/write up. It is because of your effort that I had the confidence to supercharge my LX and other mods.

Last edited:
00N8,

Can you please post a photo of where your boost gauge is mounted on your rig and where the tube is mounted on the supercharger itself. Thanks.

Amando

It doesn't fit the A pillar very well.

image-3951458798.jpg

image-3951458798.jpg

Thanks for the tip! Were you speaking of this product from URD:
Map-ECU goes Wireless with the new WiFi Upgrade!!
http://urdusa.com/Electronics-Performance-Electronics/c66_72/p1260519159/Map-ECU3-Fuel-and-Ignition-Control-WiFi/product_info.html

I want to make sure before ordering it. This may solve my need for the boost gauge as I may just install an IPAD Mini and mount it somewhere to see all the vitals. I wonder if it can show me transmission temperature and air fuel ratio.

After reading more posts I am planning to order the EMSPOWERED exhaust and their new headers but debating about the sound issue. I would prefer my exhaust and headers to be as silent as possible. I do alot of speeding and I don't want to attract more attention from the police.

I *believe* this is the right one. Please call them and confirm. Try to talk to "Gadget" he's the Land Cruiser supercharger expert.

TRD Supercharger

I put the TRD Supercharger on mine at 155k miles and have 195k miles now. Its seen all elevations, on/offroad use, lots of regular in town and highway driving and works well.

I sourced it from a guy in Netherlands that tried running it on his LPG powered Tundra but didnt work out well. He had it listed for sale but nobody would buy it as people were afraid of the international transaction and the 4.7 is not common in his area. So $1900 +700 ride got me a 100% complete kit with only 2-3k miles on it.

This one had the Tundra TRD ecu, so I ordered this one from Unichip:
http://www.unichipwholesale.com/product/98-00-land-cruiser-4-7l-trd-sc

Install was pretty straight forward. We did timing belt, water pump, starter contacts since it was apart. The drive belt I ended up using was dayco 5061038

We had to use some spacers and longer bolts on the intake baffle and on a few harness hold downs.

I've attached a couple bits of info that could be of help.

Tune is as is from Unichip, 6 lbs boost, custom mandrel y pipe and biggest quietest Magnaflow muffler, stock intake and filter. Lots of mods, 35" tires, 4.88 gears
Results:
Feels more like how it should have come. Its not Tundra 5.7L supercharged fast, but not stock uzj100 slow either. Lost about 1 mpg across the board, maybe 2 at times:)

t/case:
Mine's a 99 so with the 4 speed Auto, it pulls very hard on the 2-1 down shift if you stomp the throttle at say 10mph. This would cause some torque steer and have a tendency to burn off 1 front tire in loose or snowy/icy conditions. I noticed it pulled much straighter with CDL engaged. I installed the back half of an FZJ80 Transfer case to get the viscous coupler. All a direct fit, just had to shorten the driveshaft 3". Results are much nicer overall tighter feel, more controlled acceleration, much better traction in unlocked high range in snow.

uzj100 4.7 supercharger.jpg

Attachments

• SC-SEQ-009-C.pdf
    1.1 MB · Views: 501
  • SC-TUN-015-A.pdf
    2.4 MB · Views: 993
I put the TRD Supercharger on mine at 155k miles and have 195k miles now. Its seen all elevations, on/offroad use, lots of regular in town and highway driving and works well.

I sourced it from a guy in Netherlands that tried running it on his LPG powered Tundra but didnt work out well. He had it listed for sale but nobody would buy it as people were afraid of the international transaction and the 4.7 is not common in his area. So $1900 +700 ride got me a 100% complete kit with only 2-3k miles on it.

This one had the Tundra TRD ecu, so I ordered this one from Unichip:
http://www.unichipwholesale.com/product/98-00-land-cruiser-4-7l-trd-sc

Install was pretty straight forward. We did timing belt, water pump, starter contacts since it was apart. The drive belt I ended up using was dayco 5061038

We had to use some spacers and longer bolts on the intake baffle and on a few harness hold downs.

I've attached a couple bits of info that could be of help.

Tune is as is from Unichip, 6 lbs boost, custom mandrel y pipe and biggest quietest Magnaflow muffler, stock intake and filter. Lots of mods, 35" tires, 4.88 gears
Results:
Feels more like how it should have come. Its not Tundra 5.7L supercharged fast, but not stock uzj100 slow either. Lost about 1 mpg across the board, maybe 2 at times:)

t/case:
Mine's a 99 so with the 4 speed Auto, it pulls very hard on the 2-1 down shift if you stomp the throttle at say 10mph. This would cause some torque steer and have a tendency to burn off 1 front tire in loose or snowy/icy conditions. I noticed it pulled much straighter with CDL engaged. I installed the back half of an FZJ80 Transfer case to get the viscous coupler. All a direct fit, just had to shorten the driveshaft 3". Results are much nicer overall tighter feel, more controlled acceleration, much better traction in unlocked high range in snow.

Why only 6 lbs? Why not go 9 lbs?

How quiet is the Magnaflow muffler? I ordered the EMS w/silencer on impulse (couldnt resist the deal) but not sure if I should have done more research. I prefer quiet ride over super performance.

You have me considering upgrading my differential but I am too scared to mess with Toyota engineering.

Why only 6 lbs? Why not go 9 lbs?

How quiet is the Magnaflow muffler? I ordered the EMS w/silencer on impulse (couldnt resist the deal) but not sure if I should have done more research. I prefer quiet ride over super performance.

You have me considering upgrading my differential but I am too scared to mess with Toyota engineering.

My TRD ecu gives me 6-7 peak boost. Not really interested n any more. Let me know how the EMS w/ silencer sounds. I had major drone at highway speed and ended up with an additional muffler on the tailpipe which saps some hp, but I couldn't stand the EMS sound after changing the mid pipes. Maybe mid pipes with two cats would have solved that. I also wanted quiet ride over max performance.

I found a new in box TRD boost gauge with an A pillar housing. Looks like the hundy, taco and tundra share the same size A pillar. I'm having it installed later this week and will post up some pictures and part numbers if it works.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom