How to time a 2L diesel pump (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

4Ruster

2LT Sufferer
SILVER Star
Threads
I have searched far and wide on how to properly set the timing on the injector pump of my 1984 2L diesel. I have yet to put the motor in the truck but when painting the motor, I failed to mark the exact rotation of the pump. I just put it back in completely centered, but I am not sure if that's okay. It looks like you have to use a dial guage to time the pump, and that is all I could figure out. Are you able to time it by ear while the engine is running? (like on a good ole' 22r). Thanks!
This:
Annotation 2021-12-14 210936.jpg

is going in this:
Annotation 2021-12-14 211054.jpg

If you look very carefully (may have to remove paint) at the pump outer ear and rear timing cover, you should see a couple marks. Those are for setting base timing. Even a mm from that in either direction will make your motor run like crap.

You need to put a dial gauge indicator into the back of the pump (toyota SST) to set timing per the manual's instructions.

I uploaded the 2LT repair manual for you:

Okay thank you so much for the help. I'm new to these motors (and diesels in general) so I will probably be here with lots of questions.

Well since I'm here. A lot of people keep telling me this swap is stupid. People who have 2Ls, compared to say -a worn out 22r that can't push 29's past 100km/h-, is the 2L diesel really slower? That fastest the truck will ever see is 100km/h, rarely, mostly just city driving and offroading up in the mountains. My point being, will I be disappointed putting the old diesel in?

OP:
Buy this:
Schley Products Bosch VE pump timing gauge

I have one and have used it on my myriad VW diesels and it's a quality product. Schley is legit.

Double check that it works with a 2L, but I did find a video of it being used on a 1HDT.

You can time it by ear and feel (soot, etc), but you'll never get it right. You're talking tenths of a MM on the plunger.

post #28 I cover this:

Well since I'm here. A lot of people keep telling me this swap is stupid. People who have 2Ls, compared to say -a worn out 22r that can't push 29's past 100km/h-, is the 2L diesel really slower? That fastest the truck will ever see is 100km/h, rarely, mostly just city driving and offroading up in the mountains. My point being, will I be disappointed putting the old diesel in?
Yes it’s really slower too speed of about 65 in the 2 wheel drive

If you look very carefully (may have to remove paint) at the pump outer ear and rear timing cover, you should see a couple marks. Those are for setting base timing. Even a mm from that in either direction will make your motor run like crap.

You need to put a dial gauge indicator into the back of the pump (toyota SST) to set timing per the manual's instructions.

I have a 1985 2lt I just rebuilt the motor and had the injection pump rebuilt with the cold start system replaced. The engine runs fine when I have it running but cold starting is an issue. If the engine is warm it’ll start right up. i have the tech manual and have gone through every page trying to figure out how to adjust it properly. Does anyone have any advice.

I have a 1985 2lt I just rebuilt the motor and had the injection pump rebuilt with the cold start system replaced. The engine runs fine when I have it running but cold starting is an issue. If the engine is warm it’ll start right up. i have the tech manual and have gone through every page trying to figure out how to adjust it properly. Does anyone have any advice.
Look for air leaks especially at primer pump. Check glow system carefully. Check compression.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom