How to start out with smart voice-controlled home automation systems? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

e9999

Gotta get outta here...
Threads
I'm thinking I should look into those smart systems that you can control by voice. Don't know anything about it. I'm guessing you can do a lot of things like switches, smart outlets, lighting etc with voice control like Alexa, Google or Siri but never used them before. Am particularly interested in controlling outlets by voice, through a phone first and maybe smart speaker later on. Note our household is a mix of Android and Apple so there is that.
I'm sure many of you must know a lot about this. So any thoughts as to the better way to get started between the various systems? Like is there one clearly better now? Or with more room to expand later on? Or easy to get overly locked into? Things to keep in mind? Best places to look for info?
TIA!

Nothin' ? Not even which one of those ladies has the s.... errr... nicest voice? :)

Not very experienced here, but we have an Amazon Fire Cube so we have "Alexa". She will answer if you ask her what the air speed velocity of an unladen swallow is. She will find shows for you when you can't remember which streaming service they were on. Not sure I'd want her controlling my whole house though. YMMV.

sounds good. Well, as long as it's not possible for my wife to change the voice to a male one... I think some healthy competition is a good thing (as long as it's not competition for me, that is... :) )

But back to Tech: Sooo, preference for Alexa or Siri or ? for automation control?

Last edited:
You're just looking to contribute to the robot apocalypse, aren't you?

Robot Apocalypse.png

LOL! if you knew me, you'd have your answer easily enough... :)

but aluminum hats aside, I'd totally let Siri errr.... apocalypse me to no end....

Mandatory Tech content: she'd be a robot so there you go!

Have to admit I’m same boat here. I’m pushing back on the tech world but with no plans of moving again and building a new home in the near future I’m curious what’s out there?

Besides a security system I can see from the phone the turning on lights remotely or whatever these fancy systems can I’d like to at least check out what I can do.

However the old way of flipping a switch is sure hard to beat! Throw one more link in chain of how to do things and it’s easier for things to go wrong but that’s just my opinion.

I spent some time trying to find a video I watched months ago about home automation. The guy had some really good ideas for things like timed verification - make sure the doors are all locked at 10:00pm, garage doors are down at dusk, etc. I can't think of the guy's name, though. Tuesday evening I'll be talking to the guy who initially showed me the video, so I'll see if he has any idea what I'm talking about...

Try this and let us know how it works 🙂

do home automation devices like smart outlets typically work with more than one platform? Like *both* Siri and Alexa?

do home automation devices like smart outlets typically work with more than one platform? Like *both* Siri and Alexa?
That's what they advertise 🤷‍♂️

that's good. Are all those smart devices still able to function with voice control if you were to lose outside internet access, meaning is it all self-contained within your very own home network or do you need to rely on Google etc's outside servers?

I'm pretty sure it needs to "phone home" to Google, Apple, Amazon, or whomever. The processing power doesn't reside on your home system.

yes, was afraid of that. Not my preference. Was hoping the phone app might take care of simple commands.

I really don't know if any level of things would be controlled at the local level.

Here is the blog post and video I mentioned earlier: Home Automation Archives - Terry White's Tech Blog - https://terrywhite.com/category/home-automation/

Between the two of us, it took us a few moments to remember the guy's name and then I was able to find the post pretty easily.

He has set up automations such as:
With HomeKit I have automations setup like “Going Upstairs” which locks the entry doors, turns off the patio fans, turns off the family room lights and fan, turns on the hallway lights, changes colors of the Hue lights in the bedroom, makes sure the garage doors are closed, arms the alarm “home”, closes the blinds and turns off the TV downstairs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom