How to Spool Line Tightly On Your Drum

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I was out "practicing" with my winch ("new to me" Warn 8752) today. I found a shallow hill, spooled about 75' of cable, hooked my "tree saver" to the base of a big oak tree, and tried to winch my truck up the hill.

I got a little nervous as I saw the tight line crushing down on the line that was not spooled in as tightly. I saw things in there that looked scary, like line bulging up, birdcaging, etc.

Right now the line on the lowest wraps on the winch spool must not be on thghtly, and I know that it isn't layered evenly.

So what's the secret? Spool out the whole thing on pavement and winch my truck up a slight hill?

How do you get the wraps to line up nicely withoug grabbing a hold of the line and guiding it (probably not a good idea during winching)?

Generally, how much tension should the line be under when spooled in?

WHat's the secret?

Thanks -

Rocky

don't do it like that! go strap up to at least 50 lbs of weight and guide it in by hand making sure that the wrap is tight and organized, thats how i have always done it just make sure you where gloves and keep your hands away from the rolers :D

I have my wife sit in our other vehicle, in neutral, with the emergency brake slightly engaged. And then I spool up. I use an old ax-handle to guide the line where I want it. The e-brake keeps the car from building up speed and bouncing from the starts & stops. It keeps a nice predictable weight on the line.

Thanks - I'll give those ideas a try.

Your wife is in the truck for emergencies, right?

Rocky

Last edited:
Great ideas! I'm going to respool mine before CM08.

Your wife is in the truck for emergencies, not for the extra weight, right? (joke!! Sorry - I couldn't help myself!)

Rocky

I hope you guys are friends...:eek::D

I have my wife sit in our other vehicle, in neutral, with the emergency brake slightly engaged. And then I spool up. I use an old ax-handle to guide the line where I want it. The e-brake keeps the car from building up speed and bouncing from the starts & stops. It keeps a nice predictable weight on the line.

x 2 - the wife. I just set the parking brake lightly and spool it in on flat ground.

Your wife is in the truck for emergencies, right?

Rocky

She is in the other vehicle so she cant "Direct The Opereration" so to speak.
Thats what I would put mine in the "Other" vehicle!!! :grinpimp:

nat88toy,
I like your idea. Just so happens I am going to re-spool one of my winches today and will try it. Thanks:D

don't do it like that! go strap up to at least 50 lbs of weight and guide it in by hand making sure that the wrap is tight and organized, thats how i have always done it just make sure you where gloves and keep your hands away from the rolers :D

from the warn handbook

The life of a wire rope is directly related to the use
and care it receives. During its first use, a new
wire rope must be spooled onto its drum under a
load of at least 500 lb. [ 227 kg ]. Spool out the
wire rope to the last 5 wraps on the drum, then
power in the wire rope under a load of 500 lb.
[ 227 kg ] or more. This will stretch new wire
rope and create a good wire wrap around the
drum. Failure to do so will result in the outer
wire wraps drawing into the inner wraps, binding,
and damaging the wire rope.

from the warn handbook

The life of a wire rope is directly related to the use
and care it receives. During its first use, a new
wire rope must be spooled onto its drum under a
load of at least 500 lb. [ 227 kg ]. Spool out the
wire rope to the last 5 wraps on the drum, then
power in the wire rope under a load of 500 lb.
[ 227 kg ] or more. This will stretch new wire
rope and create a good wire wrap around the
drum. Failure to do so will result in the outer
wire wraps drawing into the inner wraps, binding,
and damaging the wire rope.

Thanks...that is good information.

Yeah, I tried that pull yourself to a pole technique the other day too and it just bunched up on the side. I like that 50# weight idea.

Oh, on a side note, remember to pay attention to the in/out orientation and don't let your buddy spool the whole thing out when winding it in. Didn't notice til he was gone, thus the need for the respooling by myself. :doh:

I use the remote outside the vehicle while wearing gloves and pull the line back and forth so that it lays uniformly.

I connect a chain around a fence post out in a paddock that has about a 5% slope on it, connect the winch hook to the chain, unspool the winch downhill with the park brake off and gearbox in neutral, till theres a few wraps left on the drum.. I arrange the cruiser so its steering directly to the fence post, then spool the line on.. I dont need to operate the steering and the cable takes care of laying itself onto the drum neatly.. The second vehicle method works well too.. The cable shouldnt need guidance if its running perpendicular to the drum and is in good condition..

Last edited:
I was out "practicing" with my winch ("new to me" Warn 8752) today. I found a shallow hill, spooled about 75' of cable, hooked my "tree saver" to the base of a big oak tree, and tried to winch my truck up the hill.

I got a little nervous as I saw the tight line crushing down on the line that was not spooled in as tightly. I saw things in there that looked scary, like line bulging up, birdcaging, etc.

If you saw stuff like that, it is possible and likely that you now need a new winch cable.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom