How to remove the wiper motor? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Cleaning out the cowl, etc...

Once unbolted, how do I remove the wiper motor to access the passenger side cowl and drain. Is there a way unhook the wiper linkage from the motor assembly??

Just cleaned 27 years of "mulch" out of the driver side cowl and drain....Wow! Unfortunately the plastic drain tube fell off while running a stiff wire up it to roto-rooter the sludge out. Looks like the only way to get it back on is to remove the fender. (??).

I usually either pry the motor off the linkage or you could use a long screwdriver and get it behind the ball and twist.
it's a plastic insert that goes onto the ball of the motor arm

I usually either pry the motor off the linkage or you could use a long screwdriver and get it behind the ball and twist.
it's a plastic insert that goes onto the ball of the motor arm

How breakable is stuff back there if I start prying with a screwdriver? Then how do I get it back on?

can't say I ever broke one, the plastic insert snaps onto the ball.

STOP!!!!!!!

If your wiper linkage is good, do not pry the linkage from the motor shaft.

Remove the wiper arms and plastic trims from the windshield cowl. You will find two bolts below each trim that secures the wiper shaft pivots. Remove these and pull the who;e linkage and motor as one.

While it's all out - Carefully remove link end and disassemble the pivot shafts from the bases. Clean and lube everything and put it all back together as one part. Kind of a pain, but better than breaking the linkage ends that can not be bought without new linkage for $200+!

If ends are bad, read how I fixed mine - Wiper Linkage Overhaul

STOP!!!!!!!

If your wiper linkage is good, do not pry the linkage from the motor shaft.

Remove the wiper arms and plastic trims from the windshield cowl. You will find two bolts below each trim that secures the wiper shaft pivots. Remove these and pull the who;e linkage and motor as one.

While it's all out - Carefully remove link end and disassemble the pivot shafts from the bases. Clean and lube everything and put it all back together as one part. Kind of a pain, but better than breaking the linkage ends that can not be bought without new linkage for $200+!

If ends are bad, read how I fixed mine - Wiper Linkage Overhaul

Haha thanks @doug720 . Yea, prying stuff off the back of the wiper motor didn't sound like a good idea. I'll do it the "hard" way.
Just upgraded to new 4Runner wiper arms...will likely bite the bullet and spring for new linkage as well.

Still amazed at how clogged up the cowl drain tube was on the driver's side.

Prying it is the way it pops off the linkage. Honestly. But it is likely to snap a brittle 20 plus year old piece of plastic, then it's more than a hassle trying to get the pieces.

I know Cause mine let go on it's own out on the highway in the rain. I farted around trying to fix it for a long time. In the end I found a parts 60 in a yard at a friends house and he let me have the pieces.

Hey Doug720, I'm trying to remove the wiper motor and the arm because I'm swapping out the windscreen and it has nothing with it. I don't follow your two bolts below the wiper shaft trim. Here's a pic of where the wiper arm comes out of the cowl. There aren't any bolts and there's no access to anything from this side. Do I have to access it from the other side and if so, how do I get those trims off? thanks.
20170626_205655.jpg

Is that the rear wiper? If not, my '85 FJ60 front cowl looks entirely different!

On my front wipers, there is a black plastic trim that fit over the splined wiper shaft, and snaps into the cowl. Under that plastic trim are the mount bolts I mentioned.

That picture looks like the rear wiper, and it's very different. I don't recall how it mounts, but I think it's direct drive off the motor.

With the help of a fellow HJ47er, we got the linkage out. The photo was of the front of the cowling, below the windscreen. There was no way to pull the wiper motor and the two wiper arms out all together. It would have bent the second arm or I would have had to cut the windscreen to be able to do it. I did like a couple others, popped the first arm off the metal "ball" (more like a cylinder but somewhat oval--see in the pic with my hand
20170627_160235.jpg
20170627_092758.jpg
). It came off easily and so I think will go back on easily also. There were no bolts at all, so that wasn't an option. I'll include a pic of of (a after and before picture. Every single part was extremely sticky with gunk lubricant. I'm surprised it was working--I'm taking it all out because I'm replacing the windscreen and window. Mine's rusted out.)

Ahhhh, I was a HJ47! Being in the 60 section I thought we were discussing a 60. Explains the difference and problems.

Interesting the plastic bits look exactly like a 60's wiper bushings. I wonder if one can buy those pieces?

I replaced mine with spherical rod ends - Wiper Linkage Overhaul

The rod ends are inexpensive, easy to do, work well and will outlast me! Another option if needed.

Doug, I read your post (the link to your original post) and you guys are way beyond me. I don't know enough terms to follow what you're always talking about. :) Maybe one day.

P.S. Yeah, I thought afterward that some people were talking about a 40 series set-up and you were talking about a 60 series. I have to admit, when I search for a thread, I also don't always remember to look and see what form it's being discussed in.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom