how to remove entire windscreen and windshield to replace it? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
All I can find on a zillion threads on mud is how to remove the windshield part. I am replacing the whole thing and can't find anything on that despite the variations of search terms. Where do I disconnect the two electrical connections, one for the windshield wiper motor and the other I assume for the windshield wipers?
Thanks!

If you unplug the wiper harness under the dash you can feed the plugs through the cowl to remove the windshield frame.

The next step is probably what you are scratching your head over. How to remove the wiper harness from the windshield frame? Clearly the holes are too small for the plastic plug to pass through. So use a small pick to remove the brass connectors from the plastic plug. The brass terminals have a tab that holds them in place, so depress it and pull the terminal out. You'll have to fish the wiper harness in the new frame.

Thanks bigredrocker. Can I play dumb for a minute--comes naturally with these cruisers for me. I have one set of electric wires (actually 2 but the one goes nowhere into the rear area but IS attached to something behind the dash--maybe the aux/main switch that doesn't work anything) . . . where was I? Oh yeah, one set of electric wires wrapped in black tape coming out of the left side of the window screen where the window washer motor is. It goes through the glove box to a connector (see photo with horizontal white connector). On the right side of the window screen, I have another set of wires in a black sheath that goes directly down toward the fuse box to a connector (the white vertical connector) and those wires disappear into one of the large wire conduits that goes to the fuse box.

Which one is the actual window washer connection? I have to disconnect both in any case. What I don't know--lack of experience--is how each of these disconnect. It looks like the horizontal one in the glove box could just be pulled apart, but not sure. The one on the right side (vertical white connector) near the fusebox looks like you have to press on something probably to get it to disconnect. the space under there is so small and so awkward, I'm not even sure if I knew how to disconnect it, i'd be able to. But I'm willing to try if I knew how.

And last for this reply, do I need to disconnect the battery before I try to disconnect any of the connectors? (I would think not since the wires are inside the connectors.)

thanks for any help.
Sorry for the bad photography on the first and last (both of the same vertical white connector). Phone won't focus with so many distractors. The vertical white connector is the one on the right side of the window screen that connects to the large black conduit that goes to the fuse box.
20170622_140342.jpg
This is the black taped wires that go into the glove box and disappear behind the dash connected to something. Looks like I could just pull them apart because I don't see anything to depress.
20170622_141347.jpg
Here are where the two sets of wires come out of the windscreen on the left. the far left one is the one that doesn't go anywhere (not connected to anything on the other side but connected to something inside the windscreen or beyond--Mars or Jupiter, maybe). The right one, wrapped is the one that goes into the glove box.
20170622_141025_001.jpg

20170622_141617_002.jpg

If you unplug the wiper harness under the dash you can feed the plugs through the cowl to remove the windshield frame.

The next step is probably what you are scratching your head over. How to remove the wiper harness from the windshield frame? Clearly the holes are too small for the plastic plug to pass through. So use a small pick to remove the brass connectors from the plastic plug. The brass terminals have a tab that holds them in place, so depress it and pull the terminal out. You'll have to fish the wiper harness in the new frame.

Here's a better picture of the white connector below the ride side of the dash where the fuses are. If someone could just tell me which side the wires come down through the windscreen that go to the window washer motor and second, how these connectors disconnect (pulling, depressing something) because it's not obvious to me. I have three sets of wires coming out of the left and right holes in the windscreen--two from the left, one which goes behind the dash and one that connects to something in the windscreen (at least there's resistance if I pull on it) but nothing on the other end. Then I have these wires inside a black tube that come out of the right side of the windscreen and connects to the fuses.
20170622_141703_001.jpg

Second one heading to the rear likely went to the dome light located on the B pillar on the drivers side. The wiring runs on the sill and down the B pillar to the dome light.
Yeah, I see that one. It comes out the top of the windscreen instead of the bottom like the shealthed wiring going to the fuse box area. That's actually a fourth set coming out of the windscreen, then. The other two are on the left side (my dome light is on the right side only--rhd Ozzie version).

Second one heading to the rear likely went to the dome light located on the B pillar on the drivers side. The wiring runs on the sill and down the B pillar to the dome light.
You're right, ginmtb. It wasn't a fourth one--the one coming out of the top of the windscreen. I just pulled it from the bottom to get it out of the windscreen and figured out the left side also. So all wires are out of the screen now. Just have to figure out how to get the wipers detached from it and the arm that goes to it from the washer motor. I assume if I undo the bolt between the motor and the arm, the motor will come off.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom