How to register a 2012 Euro 5 hzj78 in the US? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
landcruiser-club.de
Has anybody informations about the procedure, how to register a Diesel Troopy with the european Euro5 emission conform 1HZ motor? Or is it easier to import the GRJ gas version?
My idea is to ship this trucks to the US, because there must be a market for such vehicles.
What do you guys think about it?
This is maybe a stupid question, but let us talk about it.
Greetz
Tom

How are this laws? i start the idea right now and i am still brainstorming. Must it be a used car, or can it be brand new, tell me someting.
Thanks
Tom

My Understanding: It has to be at least 25 years old. There are some work arounds but they are risky and rarely worth the trouble.

Has anybody informations about the procedure, how to register a Diesel Troopy with the european Euro5 emission conform 1HZ motor? Or is it easier to import the GRJ gas version?
My idea is to ship this trucks to the US, because there must be a market for such vehicles.

A lot of people will tell you that this cannot be done, but it's easy as one two three.

One: Buy Vehicle in Europe.
Two: Store Vehicle in Europe for 25 years.
Three: Ship Vehicle to USA.

Kind of reminds me of the underpants gnomes.

contact Micheal at West Coast Cruisers and see if he can help you.
He is the only one i know of that has a legal way of getting them into North America. NOT cheap so be sitting down when you contact him.

Like Crushers said, it can be done, but it will cost you. There are registered importers that will do the work but after all the fees, taxes and all the "upgrades" you will have to do to the vehicle to make it compliant with DOT, EPA, NTSB, or "fill in the govt agency here" it could add $10-20K to the cost of the vehicle, possibly more.
Mike from WCC has done it, and he has had some really nice exotic cruisers. But, its his passion and what he does as a side job:meh:

Sent from my iPhone using IH8MUD

Last edited:
Check the US gov web sites, Customs, DOT, EPA. You might have to start with two that are the same. One would get crashed to see if it passes the crash test. The other would have to go through a bunch of testing to meet standards, I can't imagine that being cheap. Last I knew there was only one testing facility left to do diesels. A benefit to all this is that you would hold the rights to import said vehicle. If anyone else wanted to they would have to go through the whole process again. It could easily double the cost of the vehicle, and don't know how much market there would be for a $100,000 land cruiser. Do lot's of homework.

well, the 100 series and 200 series are $100K here in Canada so a $100K brand new troopie might have a (very) small amount of interest in the States ...
up here, it just is not going to happen.

Thank xou all for your replys, Now i have to read a lot (i started allready).
when you have to crashtest the car, you get a licence for all following cars, if you pass all standards for shure, to import them?
so the question is: is there a market for Diesel J7? and what price will be ok for the coustomers?
All other is simple calculation.
I think it will be difficult, but not impossibile.

Well, people would pay a bit more for a 7X series truck, but if the cost gets out of control then it's a tough sell. Like Wayne said, a $100K, relatively spartan truck (we bought a new 2011 HZJ-76 for about $45K in Afghanistan) will have limited interest.

Aside from the import hassle, another potential issue would be the support from Toyota with parts and such. When they are new, not much will go wrong but as they age and/or stuff breaks you will run into the possibility of parts not being available when you need them without getting from overseas.

As an owner of a HZJ75, I regularly go thru all types of machinations trying to get the parts I need. Usually I can find what I need at some point after searching and hunting, but I have had to source things from overseas for a few critical parts that US/CND vendors can't get.:meh:

edit:
I think it will be difficult, but not impossibile.

Nothing is impossible if you have the cheddah:grinpimp:

Last edited:
. It could easily double the cost of the vehicle, and don't know how much market there would be for a $100,000 land cruiser. Do lot's of homework.

They sell the Sahara here(top of the range 200 series) for $129997 drive away and they sell plenty of them.
You can get the GX with barn doors for $86300 .
Toyota LandCruiser 200 prices

hi all,
Why do you think it will cost 100K $? i think it will be much more cheaper.
And ther must be tw0 ways of registering. The one is for one car you buy in a country exept US,Canada,Mexico. And the other is to get a licence for importing a model in general.
I come to this point, because there are some J7 rigs on us roads, and they are not for the US market.
Are they maybe rigs, that some soldiers bring with them home?
Greetings
Tom
P.S. we are not talking about 200 LC´s and australien cars. We are talking about Gen Specs LHD HZJ7x with alredy upgraded Emission control up to Euro Standard 5

buddy,
no use even considering arguing the costs till you have completed one registered in North America.

Trust me, there are many here who are well read on this subject and have done a bunch of research trying to get non-USA trucks here. If it were easy and/or "cheap", somebody would have already cracked the code and done it, and I'd have a fleet of 7X series trucks right now. Just sayin:meh:

I researched this a while back and I could not afford to do this:-( If you are serious about this then I suggest fully understanding all of the requirements for import. Basically you would become the manufacturer. I would contact as many Registered Importers you can and find out what it would take to import. You will need to find the ones with experience dealing with diesel cars. That will be the biggest hurdle.
As to the cost, consider this. Before Mercedes sold G500's in the US it would cost you $100,000 to purchase one from a importer. Then in 02 when Mercedes started selling them in the US, they sold them for around $75,000. This basically killed the import market for this vehicle. I think there would be a smaller market in the US for 7series cruisers than there was for G500's.
Like mentioned before, if there was a cost effective way to do this it would have already be done.

I come to this point, because there are some J7 rigs on us roads, and they are not for the US market.

The 7*series has been in production since 84 so that makes some of them more than 25 years old.
Some of them may not necessarily be legal

P.S. we are not talking about 200 LC´s and australien cars. We are talking about Gen Specs LHD HZJ7x with alredy upgraded Emission control up to Euro Standard 5

I thought they stopped selling 1HZ in euro standard 5 countries because they couldnt reach that standard?

I thought they stopped selling 1HZ in euro standard 5 countries because they couldnt reach that standard?
that is the point. I have a source.

And the Gwagon cost triplle than a J7. When you buy one in Eurpoe you allready pay more than in the US.
A simular equiped G550 costs in Germany150.000 US$ in US only 107000§.
So its only because of this strange pricerange a bad start for the Importers.
With Landcruisers it is completly dfferent, because they are in the same pricerange.

OK i will make my homework and in my opinion it is tricky, but maybe a good thing.
What is more interesting, HZJ71, 76, 78 or 79?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom