How to Flat tow your 80 series... safely. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I have been pondering this same thing for a while, and tend to trust Slees judgment on this as a possibility with no damage. Cost at $2000 worth of equipment and limited vacation time has prevented me from setting up my 80 and motor home. But $2000 worth of flat towing equipment seems in line with what a trailer, new wiring and tow hitch would cost anyway.

I don't like the idea of towing an extra 1000+ lbs of trailer, but the ability to tow a disabled cruiser is appealing. What to do? I guess I'll play the lottery to afford all options including custom rear shafts and free hubs all around.

I will be following this thread either way.

If I take the truck to wheeling events, I trailer it, if I go on vacation with the family that means multiple stops, I flat tow.

Just wire a 6 or 7 pin from the bumper into the tail lights direct. Use diodes to stop it from back feeding. Since your motorhome is "US" Standards, (single brake and indicator), just T the into the brake light on the 80, same for the tail light. Put the diode on the leg from the vehicle. Simple do to. Diodes can be had from Radio Shack.

car ----- diode ----(T the signal from RV into here)----- light bulb

^^ Good tech. Thanks!

Just ordered a 4" drop reciever which I will reverse to raise the receiver end up 4". With a tape measure, measured the other day after loading up the coach and adding water, its about 2" lower. Which puts the truck mounts 4" above the receiver. Big no no.

Just wire a 6 or 7 pin from the bumper into the tail lights direct. Use diodes to stop it from back feeding. Since your motorhome is "US" Standards, (single brake and indicator), just T the into the brake light on the 80, same for the tail light. Put the diode on the leg from the vehicle. Simple do to. Diodes can be had from Radio Shack.

car ----- diode ----(T the signal from RV into here)----- light bulb

You say electrical and I start flopping on the ground like a fish out of water. However I understand your simple explaination (thanks). One question..Would I run this wire through the car to the tail lights and T there or is there a location up closer to the firewall?

You say electrical and I start flopping on the ground like a fish out of water. However I understand your simple explaination (thanks). One question..Would I run this wire through the car to the tail lights and T there or is there a location up closer to the firewall?

Run it along the frame rail to the back and tap into the lights there, even if you have to go "inside" the truck via the grommets in the rear (behind the wheel).

One could probably tap the tail lights, but the problem is the brake lights, they are a single wire from the front and then split in the back. Since we are using the brake for the indicator as well, you need to tap it in the back.

Towed the cruiser another 150 miles...... We are ready for departure. I even towed it when it was running for a while. So far no adverse effects.
IMG-20110604-00708.jpg

Towed the cruiser another 150 miles...... We are ready for departure. I even towed it when it was running for a while. So far no adverse effects.

Have fun on the rest of your trip and safe travels. Thanks for the detailed info..
:cheers:

sweet

Can I see your blue ox tow point on the cruise?? Is it a bar or just the brackets welded to the bumper? I think I am over killing my set up.
I still need to my my brake set up all so .:banana::banana::deadhorse::deadhorse: I DON'T THINK SO

Towed the cruiser over some serious mountains. Seattle to Walla Walla washington where we are enjoying the company of some old friends. See picture.

It towed like a dream, but I don't have the lights hooked up yet... and we averaged about 65mph with this 3 ton brick in tow.... Cummins makes a bad ass engine.

Unfortunately my battery drained as I needed to turn on the parking lights as I don't quite have the rear lights figured out nor had the time to figure it out.. however I did talk to the man at SLEE... Christo was super helpful and went into depth on how he rigged his 80 series (with a 100 series drivetrain) up last weekend. I'll post up IN DETAIL how I rig mine up.

I'm going to take advantage of the 7 pin hitch adapter so I can charge the cruiser while towing... yep. Stay tuned... its my next project.

Also on another note... the Patriot Warped my rotors bad... can't really drive the cruiser till I replace them (they are in the back awaiting some time to do so on the road). I will be stopping and staying at BLUE OX in Nebraska for a week and Mike Swan is going to help me tune these so I can share how to correctly use the Patriot remote brake system for your 80. However with my coach, and the air brakes and the tow settings... I don't see a need for it. I will rarely use it or so I'm thinking at this point. The coach has a beast for a drive train.

Thanks for tuning it and thanks to Christo for spending an hour on the phone with me.
wallawalla.jpg

Post 35 my friend.

Can I see your blue ox tow point on the cruise?? Is it a bar or just the brackets welded to the bumper? I think I am over killing my set up.
I still need to my my brake set up all so .:banana::banana::deadhorse::deadhorse: I DON'T THINK SO

Good day sir.
Is it just the photo or are the pins in your bumper loos?

I'll take some more pictures for you when I mock up the wire loom. The post there is just the bumper. We added 1 plate to make 2 tabs at the bumper. The towbar has 3 tabs... it runs 3-2 with a pin between them. Give me a few days as I'm traveling tomorrow and will continue the build when I get to either Idaho or Nebraska. If you are on the way, I can stop and let you take a look.

blue ox

Nice this is what is so cool about IH8MUD every one is willing to help each other.this is my blue ox set up.What do you think?And are you just putting you cruiser transfer case in -N- and leaving the trany in -P-?Or are you puling the drive shafts? sounds like you are doing the first option.
We live in McCook NE. in the south west corner of NE.
If you have time to stop.You could even stay at our house for the night if you like? but I know how traveling on the road can be.
Safe traveling and have a FUN trip.:clap::steer:
2011-06-08_21-34-57_406.jpg
2011-05-23_19-10-31_648.jpg
2011-05-23_19-09-08_701.jpg

Your 2nd picture bottom right where the D-ring is. Looks like how I've done it. What you have will definitely work.

Yes, I'm just putting the T-case in Neutral. I start the car, go from P to N with the tranny, then put the T-case in Neutral, put the tranny back in P and then leave it on ACC. Thats what I do, do whatever you want at your own risk. Like it states above... Put Tranny in Neutral and T-Case in Neutral.

I'm doing it this way for testing purposes. I'll let you know what 13k does to the tranny/t-case.
towpoint.jpg

Blue ox 10k

:cheers: Thanks for your response.Is you cruiser 100% stock?
The transmission seems to be fine after towing? hot/worm/cool?
If all works out on your trip I will do the same and not take the time to disconnect the drive shaft's ..

If all works out on your trip I will do the same and not take the time to disconnect the drive shaft's ..

I tow with both in N and it's barely warm even after 5 hours. stock drive train and I don't pull the shafts.
I leave the key in the ACC position and pull the positive battery terminal if i go farther than an hour.

Yes 100% stock with only an ARB add on. I also rebuilt the knuckles and put new wheel bearings in before the trip.

Been traveling... we've put 2,100 miles on the cruiser. I've learned a few more things.

1. You don't need the key in ACC (requires power)... its one click prior to that. With this, I make sure I can manually turn the tires by hand every time.
2. When parking next to curbs, turn the steering wheel away from the curb. My ass end will continue to pull the cruiser to the curb and if your tires hit the curb they will instantly turn all the way to the curb.
3. If you leave your Key on ACC and forget to turn off the a/c your battery will be dead when you stop.
4. Don't wash your cruiser before you tow it. Its going to get dirty immediatly. Worst $8 spent on this trip so far, but it did help the Rock Springs WY economy.

I'm going to be at Blue Ox's Campground tonight and will be there for a week. I'm hoping to work with them to get the patriot system figured out for the 80 series. Seems the pedal is at a degree where it won't work for our 80's.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom