HOW TO: Adding an underhood light

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

NLXTACY

Wits' End
Threads
Well its been a very very long time time since I had time to do anything much less write up another useless HOW TO, but here I am writing this up at midnight on a Sunday ;p

This started out when I was under my hood and my flashlight battery died. Now I had probably 6 more flashlights in the truck but I just thought how stupid it was that I even needed a flashlight.

So I hopped onto superbrightleds.com and bought this:
WLF Waterproof Light Fixture specifications

Waterproof light fixture embedded in extruded aluminum, 24" and cool white. It was $30 plus shipping. Pocket change really.

It comes with two +/- leads on either side of the bar. You use one and snip the other side. I didn't want to drill holes for this but I wanted it to be secure. I order the mounting clips but don't bother, they are USELESS! Instead I used some good ol' 3M VHB tape. If its good enough for skyscraper glass, its good enough for me.
underhood-light01.jpg
underhood-light2.jpg
underhood-light07.jpg

Last edited:
Conveniently there are magnets installed on either side of the flat side of the bar. Not strong enough to stay in place permanently but strong enough to hold in place while you decide where you want it. I went ahead an snipped on the leads on one side.They just aren't needed. I then taped off the ends so that the exposed wires couldn't accidentally create a short somehow. Normally I would have soldered off the wires from the board but they are encased in resin.

I then cleaned off the spot under the hood just at the front of the hood. I stuck the light in place but already noticed that I wasn't going to like the direction the lights were pointing so I grabbed some alligator leads and hooked up the pos. and neg. to the battery. The light looked really good but I was right, it forces the light right into my eye.
underhood-light03.jpg
underhood-light05.jpg
photo 1 00-06-13.JPG

Last edited:
So I then cleaned another strip of the underside of the hood. This time just to the front of where the underhood heat mat. You can see with the arrow. But placing the light bar there it was out of my eyes but lit the engine bay perfectly. From here I just cut the VHB take in half and stuck one on either side of the LED bar. Then stuck it onto the underside of the hood. Its not going anywhere now.
underhood-light04.jpg
underhood-light06.jpg
underhood-light11.jpg

This spot reserved for adding the hood switch to have the light come on when the hood is opened.

This spot reserved for adding the hood switch to have the light come on when the hood is opened part 2.

Cool mod. I might use these to light the bed of my tundra too. Thanks NLX

I was thinking about doing the same thing awhile ago with the LED strip lights. I was worried how they would handle the heat under the hood.

I was thinking about doing the same thing awhile ago with the LED strip lights. I was worried how they would handle the heat under the hood.

As am I. Long term testing has already begun :D

Nice !. I got the same one you have but 12 in. I intend to install that one in my rear hatch. I did test it under the hood and the 12in does a great job. The 24in must be awesome.

I have 3 of the LUXART Acent Light under my hood. They have been there for about 3 years (40k miles), and they are still in good shape. Here are some pics.

Thanks for the info !
IMG-20110606-00016_2.jpg
IMG-20110606-00017_2.jpg

HZAVARCE, I see the light switch you are using. I actually ordered up the OEM door light switch which I am going to try and work in. If I can't then I will just be going that route. My wife loves the light and now wants me to install on on the left gate.. That's next.

HZAVARCE, I see the light switch you are using. I actually ordered up the OEM door light switch which I am going to try and work in. If I can't then I will just be going that route. My wife loves the light and now wants me to install on on the left gate.. That's next.
yes ! get the OEM door switch. I forgot to mention that the one I have does not work well. Most of the time I need to touch it a little so it will make a good contact, and when is does work on its own it sparks a little and I have burned a few fuses. I need to replace it with an OEM door swicth.I also installed a toggle switch in case I wanted to turn off the light while the hood is open

Been thinking about this for a few years, this switch attaches to the gas spring. Unfortunatly it is too small for the gas spring under the hood of sn 80, i purchased one to try. Nice find with the light strip, might just have to follow suit:cheers:

ezswitch2.jpg
ezswitch2.jpg

lordbater,

What LED bulb did you use? I couldn't find a replacement that worked.

NLXTACY, how is the bar holding up in the hood ? I installed mine in the rear lift gate and so far it is great !

I also replaced my hood switch with an OEM door switch and solved the problems I had. It works very nice now, but I loved so much the light the bar puts out that I want to install one of those under my hood

Thanks !!!

hzavarce said:
NLXTACY, how is the bar holding up in the hood ? I installed mine in the rear lift gate and so far it is great !

I also replaced my hood switch with an OEM door switch and solved the problems I had. It works very nice now, but I loved so much the light the bar puts out that I want to install one of those under my hood

Thanks !!!

Where did you tap into to power it up?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom