How low can you go on a BP-51 suspension? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

True, but 75 pounds is not likely to compress the rear springs .75" I may be wrong. The stock springs are pretty soft.

Can anyone else confirm the number of coils on the HE rear spring vs stock LC? Perhaps I'm hallucinating.

Tim

True, but 75 pounds is not likely to compress the rear springs .75" I may be wrong. The stock springs are pretty soft.

Can anyone else confirm the number of coils on the HE rear spring vs stock LC? Perhaps I'm hallucinating.

Tim
Per my notes OE base rear spring rate is 170#\in, double that for two springs and add some more for shock pressure. So no, 75# is definitely not going to compress .75”.

Maybe I'm looking at it wrong, but when I took my third row seats out, the rear of the vehicle raised considerably. I instantly got 2.25" of rake (clarification: not 2.25 additional inches of rake, but 2.25 inches of total rake as measured at the fenders). Adding loaded rear drawers dropped it about 3/4". I think the top coils of the stock rear spring - driving static height - are very sensitive to cargo area weight.

Last edited:
That rake is about what I measure on my HE. I'm planning on stock rear springs with ~1" from Fox or King coilovers up front to balance things out a bit (and Fox or King shocks in the rear).

Maybe I'm looking at it wrong, but when I took my third row seats out, the rear of the vehicle raised considerably. I instantly got 2.25" of rake (clarification: not 2.25 additional inches of rake, but 2.25 inches of total rake as measured at the fenders). Adding loaded rear drawers dropped it about 3/4". I think the top coils of the stock rear spring - driving static height - are very sensitive to cargo area weight.

I haven't weighed them but I'd also guess the rear seats weigh more than 75#.. or at least it felt like it the couple times I've had to move them around my shed.

So could one replace stock springs with HE springs to get a mild lift?

So could one replace stock springs with HE springs to get a mild lift?
OEM front spacer and HE rear springs and I think yes. Like 3/4 on all corners

@Eric Sarjeant do you know whether the HE has different front springs too?

Interested to hear if the fronts are different as well. Might be a great stance to keep everything OE.

Thank you! It would make since that the front springs are also longer since the HE don’t appear to have more rake than stock. If true, I would be interested in a full set of HE takeoff springs, if you have them, to go with the OEM spacers I have on the shelf.
Same coilovers as base I believe. I'll check parts catalog Monday for you.

Agreed with nolamule - if all 4 corners on the HE are different I'd be second in line for any take-off springs you might have available Eric

We have the same amount of rake (HE versus stock w/o rear seats). But maybe need to confirm wheel center to fender distances to see if/how the springs differ.

These aren't scientific (difficulty of measuring absolute center of wheel), but within an 1/8"
Left Front - 19-3/4"
Right Front - 19-3/4"
Left Rear - 22-1/4"
Right Rear - 22"

Full gas tank, and being an HE, no rear seat.

The OE spacers won't change the ride. Compared to a BP-51; that is harder to answer because you have adjustable rebound/compression settings based on your load and desired feel. If you dial them in based on the roads you drive on most, the BP's will be better. Generally speaking, highway to highway comparison I would say the OE suspension is better from my personal experience with both. However, once you drive off-road or and/on corrugated roads or even roads with pot-holes, you will grow fond of the BP-51 suspension.

If you aren't ready to take the leap into the suspension yet, you could swap the rear OE springs to the OME 2721's which will add about 1" lift. The OME chart will tell you 0" but that's not correct. The 2721 springs will get you about +250lbs over OE. Feel free to call any time.
I just found out from Slee that the 2720 springs are 20mm shorter than the 2721s and are for light load. So if you are not going to load up or do not have air bags, this is another option for the BP-51 set up.

Can HE springs be swapped with base springs for a minor stock lift (assume 1/2”-3/4”)? This plus OEM front spacers would be a just about perfect...for me!

Not a bad idea.

Now that we know the HE springs are indeed longer, unless their spring rate were appreciable different, one could functionally get the same lift with a front OEM spring spacer and rear aftermarket 20mm spring spacer.

Great timing and super video.

I just got the BP-51 installed on my 2016. Asked for a max of 1.5” of lift as I still live in a city And need to get in/out of garages, came back with 4-5” of lift! Looks like a monster truck and the 275/70r18 look puny.

I know the front preload needs to be dialed down as they left it at 20mm, but can anyone tell me how the rears are adjusted down?

No mods other than one drawer.
You will need to have the front coils removed and adjusted accordingly, I have this same set-up
BP51
SPC UCA
2722 rear coils
when my lift was done had your same problem and I had made it " CRYSTAL " clear to them I only wanted a touch of rake, so the had to remove the front coils and adjust them, Here is my final product after the adjusted

8EEC3A8B-0DAD-433B-A7EE-899F683A6755_1_201_a.jpeg

F0408A1B-2154-435D-8FB6-B0A1E7FC190D_1_201_a.jpeg

You will need to have the front coils removed and adjusted accordingly, I have this same set-up
BP51
SPC UCA
2722 rear coils
when my lift was done had your same problem and I had made it " CRYSTAL " clear to them I only wanted a touch of rake, so the had to remove the front coils and adjust them, Here is my final product after the adjusted

View attachment 2302928

View attachment 2302929

Your truck looks great!

He ended up taking off the fronts and dialing them down to 10mm from 20mm (I asked for 5mm) and then put 2721 on the rears. I don't mind rake as now I'll be loading it down with drawers, fridge, recovery gear etc etc.

Unfortunately, the fronts now squeak, and he got the sides wrong, so now I have a noticeable right-left lean. Haven't been able to get back to the shop due to the covid.

Your truck looks great!

He ended up taking off the fronts and dialing them down to 10mm from 20mm (I asked for 5mm) and then put 2721 on the rears. I don't mind rake as now I'll be loading it down with drawers, fridge, recovery gear etc etc.

Unfortunately, the fronts now squeak, and he got the sides wrong, so now I have a noticeable right-left lean. Haven't been able to get back to the shop due to the covid.
The left to right lean is not going to be exact. before we began my project, the right side was a bit lower than the left in stock form and now is the same after the lift, you can try the KDSS reset and that may help some I could always have the front right adjusted the 1/4 inch that its out but the rears have no adjustment unless you change the coils, if I sit and stare at mine i can see its slightly off but its barely noticable, Im happy

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom