How I fixed a lot of interior noises my 2001 LX (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
In case anyone is looking for a Corona virus project that doesn’t cost a lot of money…

After many months of fixing a rattle only to find another rattle, I have successfully gotten my 2001 LX as quiet as my son’s ES350 or GF’s 350IC.

Yes, I understand it is 19 years old now, has 123,000 miles, BF KO2 tires and has had a high power stereo installed for the past 3 years. But, it still surprises me that one of Toyota’s top of the line vehicles would be this noisy.

I had already installed Dynamat in it when the stereo was installed 3 years ago but, I still had a bunch of noises and this is what I did to fix the other noises:

1.) Engine Cover rattled. It is supposed to have three foam blocks on the cover and mine had disintegrated. The engine cover is now in the corner of my garage.

2.) Lubricated the window seal rubbers with 3M Dry Lube Silcone.

3.) Lubricated the power fold away mirrors with 3m Dry Lube.

4.) Took speedometer part of the dash apart, the center console by the AC controls. Used chair felt pads cut into small sections between any plastic parts. Spray with 3m Dry Lube any plastic to plastic contact points if the felt pads or Tesa tape wouldn’t fit. (I also used the Pattex glue to glue my transparent plastic over my AC readout. This didn’t help with the rattles but, needed to be fixed.)

5.) Took center dash apart and used felt pads where I could. Then wrapped the AC vents and knock out plates with Tesa tape.

6.) Took center console apart and the same felt pads and dry lube. These noises sound like plastic to plastic.

7.) Spray all the seats mechanical parts (where the seats fold forward) with 3m dry lube. I had to do this is a couple of coats over a few days to get rid of the seat shake noise. The noise sounds like metal to metal.

8.) The wing windows in the very back spray the metal part and glass contact area with 3m dry lube and wiped clean the dirt. Spray the folding mechanism with 3m too.

9.) Used the 3m on the rubbers on the wing windows because I couldn’t get the Gummi Pflege in there.

10.) Used Gummi Pflege on the rubber surrounds on the 3 areas of the tailgate. 2 areas on each door.

11.) Used Gummi Pflege on the window tracks where it would reach. Where it wouldn’t reach, 3m dry lube.

12.) Cleaned the sunroof with 3m dry lube and paper towels. Then Gummi Pflege on the sunroof rubber. You will have to put the sunroof in multiple positions to get it all.

13.) Felt pads and 3m dry lube on the panels by the 3rd row like the jack area, emergency kit area and whatever that storage area is above the emergency kit.

14.) I used headliner repair buttons with longer screws to hold better secure my tailgate carpet since it got wet from a leaking 3rd brake light and was flopping around. It is more secured now and doesn’t look bad at all. I also used felt pads under the carpet.

15.) Tag Cover is only necessary because of the stereo system but, it might help out someone.

My 2001 LX is now as quiet as any car that I have ever been in.

Products used:

Amazon product ASIN B075MKR3LR
Amazon product ASIN B000PJED72
Amazon.com: Tesa 51608, 15m X 19mm Adhesive Wiring Loom Cloth Tape Original Isoband 5 Pcs Pack: Office Products

Furniture Pads X-PROTECTOR Big Sizes Heavy Duty Felt Pads – Premium Furniture Felt Pads - Best Hardwood Floor Protectors for Furniture Legs - Protect Your Hardwood Laminate Flooring! - - Amazon.com

Amazon.com: Car Proof Repair Rivets Headliner Repair Button,60 pcs Auto Roof Snap Rivets Retainer Design for Interior Ceiling Cloth Fixing Screw Cap Roof Repair Buckle for All Cars: Automotive

Amazon.com: 3 x Pattex Henkel Multi Purpose Transparent Repair EXTREME Gel Glue 8g: Office Products

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B07CV3YFZ2/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Lexus LX 470 Pictures #3.jpg

Lexus LX 470 Pictures #44.jpg

Lexus LX 470 Pictures #49.jpg

Apologies... It was not my intent to offend. If you're offended, I take it back.

But look at that stereo...huge!
Nah, no offense was taken because people from Bama have very thick skin.

Being a teenager in the 80s and we love our sound systems!

It will get loud but, it is made for Sound Quality. I wasn't going to be satisfied until it sounded as good as a live concert. It will play anything well from Classic Rock to Rap and do it all day long without breaking a sweat.

3,600 watts total with 12 channels, Logic7 upmixer, DSP, 3 batteries, high output alternator, etc.

You remind me of the PO of my rig! I found many notes from dealer service where he took it in for random typical interior noises, but his obsession worked because this thing is extremely quiet. I do still have creaky seats tho, need to hit those frames. I started noticing little added felt pads and felt tape all over the place, which I love because I would have done the same thing. Rig looks great too!

Good lord man!! I'm surprised you can even hear all those strange noises over your insane system:rofl:

I have high frequency loss so I can’t barely hear my turn signal if the stereo is on. This makes me wonder how many squeaks and other noises I’m not hearing. But I hear more wind rush than anything else. I might try dry lube on the seals to see if that makes a difference.

Dude post more pics of that stereo setup, and PS this may be why your interior rattles =] Holy hell that is awesome.

You could have justed posted the speaker picture as the way you fixed all your LX’s noises! but seriously impressed with your attention to detail on those little details to reduce vibration noises. Great work.

I think this was my original thread on the stereo install. After even more tuning and fixing little things, it sounds even better.

As far as the rattles, they kill a song's quiet part that is very dynamic.

Just to update this thread:

1.) I tighten the passenger side rear “wing” window with lock tight. (Going over wash board type of roads, I could hear a metal creak). I also have the standard Land Cruiser cracks in that trim piece. This window wasn't really that loose but, I could see it moving when I slammed a door. The driver's side is tight so I didn't do anything to it.

2.) Sound proofed the rear passenger side under the wing window. (I finally got the long narrow door to quit rattling on loud & deep bass 35hz and below). The biggest improvement was using Tessa tape to wrap the long door narrow door and the 1st aid kit door.

3.) Sound proofed the center console by the gear shifter. Pieces of felt pads wherever there was plastic to plastic meeting. I also took the cupholder 3 screws a loose from the center console and wrapped the screw holes with Tessa tape.

4.) Used felt pads to go between the top of the dash, the windshield and the a-pillars. Starting left of the VIN plate (so that it is still visible) on the driver's left side and running to the door.

5.) The AC ducts where they join with Tessa Tape and/or felt pads. From the factory some of the ducts had foam that has rotten away from age.

I don't know how long it will last but, my 2001 LX is now the quietest vehicle that I have ever been in!

Care to share any pics of how you using the felt? I don't think I'm can picture it.

Care to share any pics of how you using the felt? I don't think I'm can picture it.
On the dash or where? And I can try to describe it and possibly get some pics tonight.

On the dash or where? And I can try to describe it and possibly get some pics tonight.
Based on your original post I'm interested in anything on items 4,5,6 or 13. Thanks

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom