How good is the built-in navigation / media interface (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

No matter how much we b!tch about lack of CarPlay/Auto on LC 200 series, it won't change the situation. It is set in stone. Done. Not gonna happen. Zero chance. Writing long posts explaining the plus of CarPlay is not gonna change the fact.

If you want a 200 series, then you need to accept that and move on and enjoy the most durable and reliable vehicle on planet Earth.

If lack of CarPlay is troubling and you cannot overlook it, then buy something else (e.g. Sequoia or Mercedes or Land Rover or Infiniti etc) OR wait for 300 series to come out.

QX/Armada, by the way, is a freaking joke! The rear diff is from the minivan-like Pathfinder!!! Yeah, go for it! :D
Sorry if I've offended you by posting on the forum. I'm not expecting CarPlay to magically materialize on the current 200 series, but when people ask why CarPlay is desirable, it seems reasonable to answer the question. The main focus of my original question was how good or bad the infotainment that the 200 series DOES have is to try to get a feel for if it's worth checking out or not. It seems like the overall consensus is that it's not too bad.

It's unknown if or when the 300 series will show up here in the USA, so that's pretty much vaporware until more info is known. Of course, once the 300 series is officially announced, people will start complaining about the lack of a V8, the updated body style, and so on just as people complained about things when the 100 series and 200 series were announced (IFS, body style, etc.). Depending on just what happens, the Land Cruiser might only be available for another year or so in the USA, so waiting could backfire.

I'm definitely NOT buying another Land Rover until I am convinced they have something resembling a handle on quality control.

My understanding had been that the current generation Armada/QX80 is pretty much a current generation Patrol (which has now been on the market for ~11 years and seems to still have a good reputation with the Australia crowd) with a different rear bumper and not much else for differences other than perhaps a nicer interior than other markets get. I do know that the 2019 I rented for a week was comfortable, had tons of cargo space, and handled well on the road. Aftermarket support though is pretty much non-existent from what I've seen so far, which may be a strong hint at the capability off road...

Sorry if I've offended you by posting on the forum. I'm not expecting CarPlay to magically materialize on the current 200 series, but when people ask why CarPlay is desirable, it seems reasonable to answer the question. The main focus of my original question was how good or bad the infotainment that the 200 series DOES have is to try to get a feel for if it's worth checking out or not. It seems like the overall consensus is that it's not too bad.

It's unknown if or when the 300 series will show up here in the USA, so that's pretty much vaporware until more info is known. Of course, once the 300 series is officially announced, people will start complaining about the lack of a V8, the updated body style, and so on just as people complained about things when the 100 series and 200 series were announced (IFS, body style, etc.). Depending on just what happens, the Land Cruiser might only be available for another year or so in the USA, so waiting could backfire.

I'm definitely NOT buying another Land Rover until I am convinced they have something resembling a handle on quality control.

My understanding had been that the current generation Armada/QX80 is pretty much a current generation Patrol (which has now been on the market for ~11 years and seems to still have a good reputation with the Australia crowd) with a different rear bumper and not much else for differences other than perhaps a nicer interior than other markets get. I do know that the 2019 I rented for a week was comfortable, had tons of cargo space, and handled well on the road. Aftermarket support though is pretty much non-existent from what I've seen so far, which may be a strong hint at the capability off road...

Sorry for my tone, but geez, lately, it has been the same thing over and over again.

You may want to research the QX/Armada. I don’t care if it is Patrol or not...Nissan has had s***ty reputation with rear differential...see Titan rear D44’s undersized disaster! QX/Armada rear diff is from the crossover Nissan Pathfinder which is badly undersized for QX/Armada...now, I could have read that wrong but you need to look into it especially if you’re planning to tow or put heavy bumpers or off-road with it.

Sorry for my tone, but geez, lately, it has been the same thing over and over again.
When you consider the Land Cruiser's MSRP and that the rest of the product lineup seems to have been updated to get an updated Infotainment system, it probably shouldn't be surprising to see this topic come up frequently.

Trying to locate a local dealer with the car and color combo I might be interested in online seems to be a challenge.

That's not your job. That's your salesperson's job. Go talk to your local dealer, negotiate a price, and have them find the color combination that you want. Every dealer that I've worked with in the past has been more than willing to find the color combination I wanted and trade vehicles with the other dealer. They do that sort of thing all the time.

When you consider the Land Cruiser's MSRP and that the rest of the product lineup seems to have been updated to get an updated Infotainment system, it probably shouldn't be surprising to see this topic come up frequently.
If people spent ANY time searching they’d see it discussed ad nauseum and realize it isn’t even close to the kind of tech this section was intended to cover.
Also, I believe toyota stopped landcruiser production due to the pandemic so inventory and color options may be limited.

That's not your job. That's your salesperson's job. Go talk to your local dealer, negotiate a price, and have them find the color combination that you want. Every dealer that I've worked with in the past has been more than willing to find the color combination I wanted and trade vehicles with the other dealer. They do that sort of thing all the time.
Right, but if I want to see a color before making a decision (such as Military Green on the Sequoia), I need to find a dealer that has the colors I'm interested in or happens to have one in that color in for service at the time that I can look at. Most of the Land Cruiser color choices (other than possibly the blue option) are colors I have already seen or know I would like or not. Not having any Land Cruisers or Sequoias in stock is a showstopper because I want to be able to go for a test drive and spend some quality time with the infotainment system, so at a minimum I want to track down a dealer that has at least 1 of each on the lot. Some of the dealers around here have been extremely pushy about taking what they have in stock in the past.

If anyone has a recommendation for one of the dealers in the Billerica/Lowell MA area it would be appreciated.

If people spent ANY time searching they’d see it discussed ad nauseum and realize it isn’t even close to the kind of tech this section was intended to cover.
Also, I believe toyota stopped landcruiser production due to the pandemic so inventory and color options may be limited.
So where should 200 series technology (infotainment isn't a differential or engine, but it IS technology) be discussed then? I apologize profusely for having started a new thread and inconveniencing you so much with it.

The infotainment is crap. If you are buying a vehicle only based on infotainment, keep looking. There are a lot of other great reasons to buy a land cruiser. The infotainment is not one of them. Because it is so tightly integrated, there are no (good) aftermarket options.

Unsolicited commentary: having lived in Mass for a while, excise tax is complete BS. Paying tax every year on the value of your vehicle. Such a stupid concept.

What is this sorcery you speak of, excise tax on a car? Wth?

So where should 200 series technology (infotainment isn't a differential or engine, but it IS technology) be discussed then? I apologize profusely for having started a new thread and inconveniencing you so much with it.

In general on off-road forums "tech" isn't in reference to technology. It is for technical help, discussion on modifying them for off-road or maintenance, etc. This started in the early days of online forums and it's easy to see how it can be interpreted as for technology, I guess.

Either way.. there has been a LOT of discussion on why carplay isn't in these 80K dollar vehicles. I agree it should be there.. but then our headlights shouldn't fog from sunlight either. But they do.

At the end of the day people buying these vehicles aren't doing it for the technology.

Right, but if I want to see a color before making a decision (such as Military Green on the Sequoia), I need to find a dealer that has the colors I'm interested in or happens to have one in that color in for service at the time that I can look at. Most of the Land Cruiser color choices (other than possibly the blue option) are colors I have already seen or know I would like or not. Not having any Land Cruisers or Sequoias in stock is a showstopper because I want to be able to go for a test drive and spend some quality time with the infotainment system, so at a minimum I want to track down a dealer that has at least 1 of each on the lot. Some of the dealers around here have been extremely pushy about taking what they have in stock in the past.

1) Every Toyota dealer in the Boston area has their inventory online. I don't see what the big deal is about searching their inventories. It's not that hard for you to do the required legwork. Some of the big Toyota dealers in the Boston area are Boch, Ira, Herb Chambers, etc., but you can easily find the dealers close to you by searching in Google -- "Toyota dealers near me" will show you the dealers near your location.

2) Oh come on. I've had dealers trade to get the color combination that I want on multiple occasions. It was never a problem. If the dealer balks, then simply walk away. It's not like there is a shortage of Toyota dealers in the Boston area. I've found Acton Toyota, in particular, to be very good to deal with.

At this point, you're just whining.

Last edited:
What is this sorcery you speak of, excise tax on a car? Wth?

There is a reason we are called Taxachusetts. You annually pay an excise tax based on the "worth" of your car or truck. The assessed value isn't the real value and it diminishes quickly, but it is still galling. Motor Vehicle Excise.

I've already explained that to you.

Apology not warranted nor necessary. This forum is as much yours as everyone here. Some waste far more words on less, often treating it like their local pub to shoot the breeze.

Different people have different interests and perspectives. I personally consider your question and discussion topic on point. Toyota should take notice too as they've been behind the 8-ball on this and MFD technology investments in general across the brand. Squarely a minus when people consider the pros and cons to purchase.

This may be more than you're interested in but there's aftermarket solutions - Tesla Android Style Stereos Units for the 200- Combined

I am genuinely curious as to the appeal of Apple Car Play and Android auto. While absolutely antiquated, the Toyota interface simply works. Music works, navigation works, google maps audio through the speakers work etc.

I will take the touch screen interface in the Cruiser over the 2016+ Lexus touch stick abomination any day of the week.

I think its one of those things where you don't miss it, until you have it in another car and use it, and then miss it in the car that doesn't have it , but then get used to not having it ... and the cycle repeats again!!! I guess it speaks to us humans being creatures of habit. Another way that I look at it is - carplay/android auto was a solution to a problem that none of us had. But now that its out, most want the solution.

I've made peace with myself, do I desire it - yes. Am I going to buy something other than a LC because of it - no.

One nice thing with the G63 is that there's an option to custom order a vehicle with the exact colors and options that are desired.

not many options to choose on a LC but I'm sure the dealers can work with you on a build order if you want to go that way.

2) Oh come on. I've had dealers trade to get the color combination that I want on multiple occasions. It was never a problem. If the dealer balks, then simply walk away. It's not like there is a shortage of Toyota dealers in the Boston area. I've found Acton Toyota, in particular, to be very good to deal with.
Whether you believe me or not, that has been my past experience with the Nissan and Toyota dealers near me (especially Ira). When I bought the 2006 LX-470, I went to Woburn Toyota looking to test drive a Land Cruiser and since they had none in stock, the salesperson tried to convince me that the Sequoia is the same thing so I should test drive that and have them track down a Land Cruiser if I like it. Yes, I walked out and went elsewhere (after asking the rhetorical "why is the Land Cruiser so much more expensive?") - I ended up buying the Lexus instead.

At this point, you're just whining.
You aren't required to subscribe or reply to this thread. If my questions and comments annoy you this much, please move on.

You may want to research the QX/Armada. I don’t care if it is Patrol or not...Nissan has had s***ty reputation with rear differential...see Titan rear D44’s undersized disaster! QX/Armada rear diff is from the crossover Nissan Pathfinder which is badly undersized for QX/Armada...now, I could have read that wrong but you need to look into it especially if you’re planning to tow or put heavy bumpers or off-road with it.

I wouldn't recommend buying anything Nissan right now given the situation that company finds itself in. financial difficulties at the corporate level do have a way of filtering down to the final product.

To OP - if carplay/android auto is not entirely a deal breaker for you, then highly recommend that you go with the LC200. And this is coming from a current land rover LR4 owner who happens to actually like it and surprisingly has had good reliability out of it. But even I confess, the peace of mind that comes with owning LC for a long period of time CANNOT be had with any of the fancier brands out there. And as you said, so much is unknown about the 300 series. Its all speculation at this point.

Apology not warranted nor necessary. This forum is as much yours as everyone here. Some waste far more words on less, often treating it like their local pub to shoot the breeze.

Different people have different interests and perspectives. I personally consider your question and discussion topic on point. Toyota should take notice too as they've been behind the 8-ball on this and MFD technology investments in general across the brand. Squarely a minus when people consider the pros and cons to purchase.

This may be more than you're interested in but there's aftermarket solutions - Tesla Android Style Stereos Units for the 200- Combined
Thanks for the comments and the link. I had seen a few mentions of those Tesla like options, but had not seen such an extensive discussion thread. There are trade-offs of course, but it is nice to see there are some options out there.

I wouldn't recommend buying anything Nissan right now given the situation that company finds itself in. financial difficulties at the corporate level do have a way of filtering down to the final product.
That's definitely a good point as Nissan definitely has been having some financial issues.

To OP - if carplay/android auto is not entirely a deal breaker for you, then highly recommend that you go with the LC200. And this is coming from a current land rover LR4 owner who happens to actually like it and surprisingly has had good reliability out of it. But even I confess, the peace of mind that comes with owning LC for a long period of time CANNOT be had with any of the fancier brands out there. And as you said, so much is unknown about the 300 series. Its all speculation at this point.
Yeah, carplay isn't entirely a deal breaker as long as the stock infotainment system is decent, which what I was initially trying to focus on. As soon as I mentioned CarPlay, it was probably inevitable for the focus to shift to discussing that and people jumping to the conclusion that I was complaining about the 200 series not having it.

Land Rover has been a frustrating company for me over the years. I had a 1995 Discovery and got a ton of enjoyment out of it, but something was always breaking on it. I also had a recent model Range Rover - I liked it in a lot of ways, but it was less reliable than the Discovery and the infotainment system was pretty frustrating for using a lot of things that are normally readily accessible with a button on the dashboard on most cars. The LR4's are pretty nice all around - capable, comfortable, lots of cargo space, and a good looking vehicle - since you got a good one, hold onto it :). The new Discovery is terrible looking. Time will tell how well the new Defender works out - to me it looks a lot more like an LR5 than a Defender though. Given their track record, there's no way I would consider the first model year of anything from them.

Let me put it another way......it is the ONLY car that i still admire after 9 months of ownership every time i walk into my garage. And yes, i have had plenty of expensive vehicles in the past 15 years.

Let me put it another way......it is the ONLY car that i still admire after 9 months of ownership every time i walk into my garage. And yes, i have had plenty of expensive vehicles in the past 15 years.
Oh, I get it. I felt that way with the LX-470 and have felt that way with the G-wagons (I'm on my 3rd because I got pretty amazing trades on the prior 2) up until the relatively recent issue with getting parts (which started long before Covid-19 could be blamed as a factor). I traded in the LX-470 for something a lot more fuel efficient when fuel prices spiked because I had a long commute at the time and just couldn't justify the money I was spending on gas - in hindsight, I probably should have sucked it up and held onto it instead :).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom