How easy to alter odometer? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
How easy are these to alter the odometer on? I'm searching and finding very odd mileage inconsistencies of two vehicles. One has the last lexus service record in 12/30/11 at 125k miles and now its for sale 5.5 years later at 129k miles? it just seems fishy. I havent run a car fax on it yet as I havent even seen the vehicle to determine if its work keeping in the running.

Im stumbled across other threads were people mentioned finding out there odometers are doctored.

You can swap a instrument cluster pretty easy... hopefully the vin will show the discrepancy.

We've seen reports of mileage fraud. They swap out the instrument panel, with lower mileage from a wreck.

Could be this sat for years.

I just bought one, where car fax reported a "mileage inconstancy". I did my research and found Dealer report incorrectly, transposing numbers. Dealer has since correct the mistake, car fax remove notation.

Don't let this scare you do your home work.

Note: If it's sat for prolonged periods without proper precautions, you may find damage. Like fuel tank may have internal rust.

Last edited:
It didn't sit. It's fraud. I speak from experience. It's easy to do, and the value of these trucks encourages it. WALK AWAY FROM THAT CRUISER. Unless they are giving it away, because once you own a truck with odometer discrepancy, you are going to own it a long time. because it's a giant red flag for most folks.

It didn't sit. It's fraud. I speak from experience. It's easy to do, and the value of these trucks encourages it. WALK AWAY FROM THAT CRUISER. Unless they are giving it away, because once you own a truck with odometer discrepancy, you are going to own it a long time. because it's a giant red flag for most folks.
I recall a buyer reported in mud being burned by ~200 or 300K miles. Was that you?

It was cut from the list. It had nav and wasnt cheap enough for me to consider dealing with outdated tech for the next 10+ years. Although i do have a soft spot for the gold ones.

It was cut from the list. It had nav and wasnt cheap enough for me to consider dealing with outdated tech for the next 10+ years. Although i do have a soft spot for the gold ones.
Go ahead and post it up here if you've walked. Let the board look to uncover if fraud. I love seeing the crooks nailed.

Gator, technically it's not a discrepancy and shouldn't jump to conclusions because you had a bad experiance. I know lots of people who daily drive cars for years and then buy another daily driver and let the other car sit for years while they tinker with it and drive it once on Sundays if it's nice out. My track day car is one of them. I've put 6k miles on it in probably 6-7 years. And because I previously put 10k/year for 5 years before that and it's worth more money now because it's "low miles", now it's fraud? Come on.

I completely understand where you're coming from but without the full story/facts, we shouldn't jump to conclusions. Do the research and go from there.

Gator, technically it's not a discrepancy and shouldn't jump to conclusions because you had a bad experiance. I know lots of people who daily drive cars for years and then buy another daily driver and let the other car sit for years while they tinker with it and drive it once on Sundays if it's nice out. My track day car is one of them. I've put 6k miles on it in probably 6-7 years. And because I previously put 10k/year for 5 years before that and it's worth more money now because it's "low miles", now it's fraud? Come on.

I completely understand where you're coming from but without the full story/facts, we shouldn't jump to conclusions. Do the research and go from there.

Unicorns are rare for a reason. With 4K miles in 5.5 years, it had better have every single service record in the glove box to completely prove that it hadn't hardly moved, nothing less than full provenance. Without taking someone's word for it, that is tough to do. You have it on your car, cool. Cruisers aren't Ferraris, others will come along. If the documentation wasn't immaculately kept with irrefutable proof that it was parked, I'd pass.

I am looking at a 1998 LX470 that has been sitting in a garage in my neighborhood for over five years. The dealer said it had a leaking front shock so they just stopped driving it. Once the battery died they lost interest in the truck. Has not been registered since 2009 and has right at 100k on it.

The front seats are even still nice and soft.

They are out there.

I really do not know what I will do with the truck but it most likely will be my son's driver if all works out.

oddly enough the craigslist seller wrote back that he does have a car fax for it. I am waiting to get that to check the odometer reading up until 2011 and the yearly registrations that log the miles to see what is up with it.

If you don't trust the ODO why would you trust a carfax they provided?

If you are actively shopping for a truck, your best served to buy a 30 day subscription and run your own carfax on each vehicle.

Don't always depend on AutoCheck on eBay to point out a mileage issues with a vehicle.

I was looking at a relative low mileage tacoma (85k miles) - The autocheck "summary" page included with the listing showed NO PROBLEMS with mileage - However when you went down to the service/registration section it was readily apparent that two separate service and prior sales data had significantly higher mileage listed. Clearly there was an issue with the vehicle.

in an attempt to protect others from this rollback special, I went as far as to email AutoCheck to point out the obvious problem with the mileage. They responded with a form letter that their system is always right...

Moral of the story - Pay for your own CARFAX before you spend your hard earned money on any used vehicle....... CHEAP INSURANCE

When I was looking I subscribed to both reporting services and I've noticed reporting inconsistencies between AutoCheck and CarFax which supports MarkWV comments above. I found CarFax to have more listed detail, and as a data check service to be the better option of the two. Also, I think have you buy a report to be covered by their guarantee, if someone gives you the report, I dont think you're covered.

To answer the question: easy. A man with an attache case will fix the ECU data for you for $300, German and Italian fancy vehicles will cost you significantly more. And always get your own report from Carfax, Autocheck, etc. I have seen many 'fixed' reports from the ones provided by dealers and private parties.

It is possible that it is legit but rare. My 97 has 137k miles has seen probably less than 5k miles in the past 6 yrs. put 15k miles on it since 97. Only drive it for fun and camping. But seldom anymore with 2 kiddos and businesses. So to a lot of people that it is not possible, and I am sure if I put up on sale that will be the 1st red flag most people raise. And no service and maintenance records as I do all that myself no receipt for parts purchase records can be found as i stock and sell them lol. But carfax should shows it is legit based on yearly state registration and inspection records. So purchase a carfax and auto check to make sure before jumping into it.

When I was looking I subscribed to both reporting services and I've noticed reporting inconsistencies between AutoCheck and CarFax which supports MarkWV comments above. I found CarFax to have more listed detail, and as a data check service to be the better option of the two. Also, I think have you buy a report to be covered by their guarantee, if someone gives you the report, I dont think you're covered.

Read the small print - the guarantee will pay for book value, plus $500 for accessories, if I remember correctly. Hardly adequate considering out trucks, in good shape, generally sell for thousands over auction prices.

Carfax is not an accurate source of info, anyone can hide anything from it.
Altering odometers is very easy to alter, i know a couple of guys that do it for $100 and reset it to whatever number you like.

My daily car is now SC430. It will be lucky to get 1K/year. I work from home, and everywhere we go, we most likely will drive the LC. I actually just bought a battery charger because the battery keep dying due to sitting in the garage for so long. Mine will not have all of the records - I do my own oil change and maintenance work. So the history of the car will show lots of miles by previous owner, then very little miles by me.

Avoid vehicles from the red states?

1980703791-1425510662949.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom