Hose Routing Help (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey Everyone,

I haven’t found the right combo of keywords yet to search with. Looking for a little help.
Replaced all the vacuum lines today and cleaned up the cover of the air cleaner. On the passenger side of the air cleaning cloning of the top a vac line runs to a VCV. Noticed today that the PO ran a “t” on the VCV back onto itself.
Very close by there is a nipple that is plugged off. This diagram isn’t in the manual I’m working from.
Curious why they ran the “t” and if I should run the VCV back to the nipple where I think it should go.

Thanks!
Dunk
563AD912-8BE3-4682-B3B1-90E5865C053D.jpeg

Assuming desmogged truck? The loop in the VCV is typical routing using one of the desmog guides I believe. Have the same in mine, On mine the plugged port on the side vent on yours runs up to the air cleaner with a hose. I recently went through the guide to get the PO's outstanding handy work sorted and get my truck working properly. I cannot remember now if that hose was included but I believe I checked it during that time and it checked out. A romp through one of those guides should get you through:

IMG_5697.jpg

IMG_5692.jpg

IMG_5696.jpg

HTH.

Last edited:
The Tee that is plugged above the PCV valve is the vacuum source for the HAI (Hot Air Intake) system. There is a vacuum diaphragm (HAI diaphragm) that pulls incoming air from the area of the exhaust manifold during cold starts. The HIC valve, installed in the air cleaner is a temperature valve that is open when cold and closes when hot.

1598208938177.png

The Tee that is plugged above the PCV valve is the vacuum source for the HAI (Hot Air Intake) system. There is a vacuum diaphragm (HAI diaphragm) that pulls incoming air from the area of the exhaust manifold during cold starts. The HIC valve, installed in the air cleaner is a temperature valve that is open when cold and closes when hot.

View attachment 2413711

Outstanding. Thanks here. This is what I have on mine.

Assuming desmogged truck?

HTH.

No it’s not desmogged. As far as I am aware. It’s been non-oped since ‘09.
California vehicle so I don’t think they were trying to desmog it.
I’ve been slowly working on it the last 2.5 years since I bought it. Quite a bit of a project, which is fun.

So, using the diagram. "Y & X" should be connected with a "t" from the air cleaner assembly. correct?

For a smogged application.

1598151691837.png

I have two diagrams that contradict what you show: The two nipples that are radially opposed to one another (X and Z) are connected by a Tee and that is connected to one of the vent ports on the distributor cap. Port Y is connected to the air cleaner top and port S is connected to the vacuum pipe, the other end being connected to the intake manifold gas filter (vacuum source).

1598379541730.png

1598379609822.png

So, using the diagram. "Y & X" should be connected with a "t" from the air cleaner assembly. correct?

For a smogged application.

View attachment 2416046

Looks to me the labels in the top graphic are different than the labels in the graphics in the boxes. Z and Y are swapped around. Wondered about this myself when first posted. Mine is set up like @2mbb's diagram shows. Here is maybe an idea of how it looks at least on the Dizzy side:

IMG_5703.jpg
IMG_5704.jpg

Full disclosure here mine is a desmogged truck but I think at least this bit matches with what yours should be.
HTH

This topic has come up before, disparities in diagrams. I don't remember the outcome. More searching MUD might give a definitive answer.

At the end of the day, I'm not sure it matters much which port, Y or Z is connected to the air cleaner. X should be connected to the distributor cap, I think. But X can be joined with either Y or Z, and the other one is connected to the air cleaner. Short anwer--both configurations are OK. I'm not sure of the source of the diagram that mattressking posted. The two I posted are from toyota for the 2F.

Last edited:
Yeah, that's part of the fun. I had chance to do some diggin under the hood last night. PO had rolled and tucked the vac line running to the cabin filter up behind the washer fluid reservoir. After work, I'll hook it all back up with new lines using the diagram supplied by @2mbb
Thanks for all the help everyone, I love mud and the members.

I don't have the emissions manual for the 3FE, but from the parts diagram, it looks like the routing was changed from 2F to 3FE. It looks like one of the side ports (Z?) is connected to the air cleaner, with X & Y connection not shown, but presumably teed together and connected to the distributor cap, like the post that Mattressking shows.

If anyone knows where to get a PDF of the 3FE emissions manual ERM045E I would like to have it for reference.

1598460951371.png

This is how mine is routed. I see some disparity with the image I also posted which might be the variation from 2F to 3F-E.

hi matt ,

where did this diagram come from ?

i understand the color was added later , but it looks different in some unique way ?

1598668703125.png

While we are on this topic, does anyone know the specifications or Toyota part number for the plastic tee being used in the pictures above? Mine has been discarded by the PO, along with the valve. Luckily I’ve sourced the valve but need the tee as well.

thanks in advance!

Cheers,James

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom