Horn issues (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

tahoe40/45

SILVER Star
Threads
So my horn likes to go on in the middle of the night, 2:46 am today.
This is a stock system on a 1963 Cruiser, it is fine all day long, horn functions normally, then in the middle of the night it will go on. I have been disconnecting the green/red wire the exits the steering shaft at the end of the day to prevent this, but I forget every once and a while.

Only thing i can think of is that the cold some how triggers the horn relay??
Has anyone else experienced this? Or have a idea what's going on?

Adjust the plate in the steering wheel so it has a little more clearance. If disconnecting the ground circuit solves the problem serious doubt the problem is the relay. Only place the ground is suppose to be made is in the button on the steering wheel. Sounds like the problem is from the disconnected wire up into the steering wheel. Temperature change at night might be enough for the spring steel plate to contract enough to complete the circuit.

Haven't felt like testing the new relay to see if that corrected horn issue because didn't want to wake up in the middle of the night, or wake my neighbors, but i tested it last night.
New relay installed and about 30 min ago my horn went off.
Everything looks normal, horn is plugged in all day works like it should, I've adjusted the horn button to give it more clearance, but didn't work. It seems to be something with the cold that is making go off or i have a horn ghost??
Anyone have any ideas?

Haven't felt like testing the new relay to see if that corrected horn issue because didn't want to wake up in the middle of the night, or wake my neighbors, but i tested it last night.
New relay installed and about 30 min ago my horn went off.
Everything looks normal, horn is plugged in all day works like it should, I've adjusted the horn button to give it more clearance, but didn't work. It seems to be something with the cold that is making go off or i have a horn ghost??
Anyone have any ideas?
I think @Living in the Past might be on to something. Are there temperature swings involved between when the horn is off and when it activates?

I think @Living in the Past might be on to something. Are there temperature swings involved between when the horn is off and when it activates?
Yes im thinking that LITP has the right area for the issue.
I plugged the horn back in yesterday morning, no issues all day long. Then this morning around 5:30 am it went off, wasn't very cold, only about 44 deg. Every time it happens its early in the morning with cooler weather.
Last time it happened i unplugged the horn to stop it from going off ( about 6:30 am ) Then plugged it back in around 9:00, horn was still activated. Then tried again around 10:00 and it was operating normally.
Going to pull button apart again today to see if i can get more clearance.
I have it adjusted now that you have to press hard to get horn button to make contact, so still not making since that the cold can bent the contact enough to touch.?????

Everything else electrical behaving normal? And do you have any LED lights anywhere in the system?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom