Hoppy trailer wiring harness doesn't fit (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Pictures - as requested.

Pic 1: Connectors

Pic 2: Harness

Pic 3: Harness after I got done with it

Tom

so this is a draw tite?, if so, i should be able to get it pretty much anywhere. ive been wanting to wire my hdj81 for quite some time. today i saw the modulite one ($15) in my local auto parts store and i thought i'd be the best idea, since it looked so easy to do.
i called my local toyota dealership and gave them the stock number for the oem harness, and apperantly it was only sold in the states.:bang:
anyway, i think ill look for the one above, if not im going for the cheapo one .

In my opinion, any harness that is designed as plug and play for a Land Cruiser should work. You may see a quality difference in the wiring of various brands but it's up to you if you want to pay for that quality.

Pic 4: Installed

I used the same DrawTite unit as Tom

quick and easy . I just cleaned up the connectors ,silicone greased all of them real good and its been great since

If you don't mind splicing you can go to Walmart and get a generic Hoppy for around $10.00. Make sure it is the one with long wires or buy the extension ~$4.00. Run it through the grommet and splice the ends. Its and easy fix and has worked great so far.

awesome, ill look for the draw tite one first, and if luck is not on my side......well, ill be doing some splicing.

alright, so i tried a bunch of diferent ones and none worked, so i just bought the draw tite splice urself one. i did find my connectors/wires under the truck on the left side. we'll see how it turns out.

I needed a harness for my 95 model so I did a search to see what the experts used. I'm capable of using the generic but rather take the lazy way out since I'm trying to get ready for a ride next week. The plug and play sounds good. I took the good info here and searched the part numbers. Went the cheaper route with the drawtite brand found it for $13 on the net but by the time I added shipping I could do close to that price at a local trailer shop that ordered it and will have it in tomorrow for $21.49. The Hoopy I saw going from $27 - $49.

For those that may come behind me.
Google drawtite 118357
Hoppy H2243405

I needed a harness for my 95 model so I did a search to see what the experts used. I'm capable of using the generic but rather take the lazy way out since I'm trying to get ready for a ride next week. The plug and play sounds good. I took the good info here and searched the part numbers. Went the cheaper route with the drawtite brand found it for $13 on the net but by the time I added shipping I could do close to that price at a local trailer shop that ordered it and will have it in tomorrow for $21.49. The Hoopy I saw going from $27 - $49.

For those that may come behind me.
Google drawtite 118357
Hoppy H2243405

I used the Drawtite p/n 118357 on my '97 FZJ80 and it was simple plug 'n play. From what I've read, '93-'97 80's are like this. Note that the connectors you plug in to are UNDER the truck, tucked back by the rear bumper, as TomH shows in his pictures above. You pull apart an OEM connector and the two connectors on the Drawtite then just plug into the OEM connectors. You also need to attach a ground lug. Since the location is subject to lots of moisture, I used dielectric grease on the contacts. Tie wrap all the wires up out of the way and it works like a champ.

I used the Drawtite p/n 118357 on my '97 FZJ80 and it was simple plug 'n play. From what I've read, '93-'97 80's are like this. Note that the connectors you plug in to are UNDER the truck, tucked back by the rear bumper, as TomH shows in his pictures above. You pull apart an OEM connector and the two connectors on the Drawtite then just plug into the OEM connectors. You also need to attach a ground lug. Since the location is subject to lots of moisture, I used dielectric grease on the contacts. Tie wrap all the wires up out of the way and it works like a champ.

Thanks for the advice :cheers:

This is good info, and just in time. I'm doing the trailer wiring on mine next weekend. I have a 94, an it sounds like a Hoppy and the joints behind the panels will be the way to go.

Hoppy 43405 Wiring Kit

Same Here, just got mine today and sure does not fit my 91 HDJ81, connectors are totally different. It's obviously the Japanese and American models have different connectors.

tarsier

Not at all correct. The difference relates to year-model, not origin.

Reviving an old thread, since I ended up with the Drawtite which is an obvious no fit for my 91 HDJ.

Did anyone try the OEM Trailer Harness for the 91-92? What is the part #? If I go to a Toyota dealer here in Canada, can I not order the US only part with a longer shipping time?

Thanks in advance guys!

The original harness was a splice-in, not a plug-in. It was stupid money when it was available and has been discontinued for years because no one wanted to pay ~150 bucks for a ~30 dollar splice-in kit wih a Toyota logo on it.

I took mine to U-haul and $50 later I had a working trailer harness. I started with the Hoppy from e-trailer and it definitely wasn't a plug and play for 91-92. After a few phone calls I got e-trailer to accept the return and I drove over to U-haul.

Thread revival: The connector location you guys are speaking of, is it running along the back side of the rear cross member? Visible by simply squatting underneath the back of your cruiser?

If so, I may as well get a splice in model. That connector on mine was corroded to crap some time ago and I cut the connector out and soldered the wires together. :doh:

Thread revival: The connector location you guys are speaking of, is it running along the back side of the rear cross member? Visible by simply squatting underneath the back of your cruiser?

If so, I may as well get a splice in model. That connector on mine was corroded to crap some time ago and I cut the connector out and soldered the wires together. :doh:

Andrew, The Hoppy kit plugs into the taillight assemblies inside the cruiser.

I just inastalled the following kit in a 1992 Land Cruiser:

Trailer Hitch Wiring 1991-1997 FJ80 FZJ80 [FJ80 / FZJ80] - $59.99 : CruiserParts.net, Toyota Landcruiser Parts

Plugged right into existing plugs. There was a bundle of plugs on the passenger side by the spare tire. 2 wires plugged together that had to be pulled apart and plugged into the wiring kit, and another wire that wasn't plugged into anything which also plugged into the kit.

The plug that wasn't connected to anything else was a mess, dirt, grease etc - it wasn't obvious anything could be plugged into it until it was cleaned up.

I didn't have to drop the spare to see these wires but when I did drop the spare I found a pre-existing grounding spot so I didn't have to drill a new hole to ground the trailer wiring harness.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom