Hood Painting Ideas needed - for fun (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have a mechanically pretty solid FJ60 with terrible paint, in particular a hood that was once painted with bed liner and then sanded down to try and get rid of it....but not quite all the way, so now it is a matte black hood. Oh, and the rest of the truck is blue. Several different kinds of blue. Lots of patches cut in and painted badly. I have an idea for the body (see attached photo), because this truck is never going to be returned to original, it is going to be a fun driver with lots of non-original mods. Functionally super solid, but....different looking. I'm interested in having the body look like....a junker, but with an actual good finish (clear coat? Wax? dunno...check out the pic).
Anyway, for the time being, I"m thinking about painting something interesting on the hood, and I'm looking for ideas. I was thinking about a stylized image of Mt. Fuji, but want to think about other iconic images from Japanese culture. Or I could put the blue ridge mountains on there, since I live there.
Any ideas? Fire away, but please no shade for not bringing the truck back to pristine original condition.
Maybe some sort of vinyl wrap instead, since it is short term?
Junker Paint.jpg

Last edited:
personally, i don't like that. to my eye it's an unfinished body/paint job by a lazy bodyman. also, the fake patina thing is usually very fake looking n overdone. have you got kids? if so, have them do their style of artwork on the hood. accentuate the edges of the patches by baring the sheet metal unevenly along the welds. if you do the patina thing, keep in mind that paint normally comes away from hard edges first before gentler radiused areas. for the final finish, i'd lay down a matte clear coat. no, i'm not a body man. i'd like to see what you end up with.

Google ICON derilict > images, might spark some ideas for the overall look.

😁
Screenshot_20220424-161045.jpg

I like the image you attached. Whomever did it knew what they were doing with color selection, which is critical to how/whether it works. That’s the tricky part of false patina. It’s not a punt. How you deal with the difficulties presented by your sketchy paint may not be well-served by trying to create a story in patina. Best of luck. My son has been struggling with bad finishes for 3 or 4 years. At this point, I think going back to a single stage even coat is his best option (not that he’ll follow my suggestion, lol).

this day and age you can put anything on the hood you want with a wrap.

or just let the world know you are a Brony :rofl:

1650925711555.png

Wrap is good and can be easily changed when you get bored with it.

8A08D334-2C83-40DA-A99A-41F6BBE6A5FA.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom