Hood latch seized, no problem (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
The truck was a bit over due for an oil change so no problem ill get that done in the morning and get on with the day. Oil, check. Filter and crush washer, check. Tools, check. Hood open, not check :bang:. Tried taking the hood release cable off and pulling with a pair of pliers, no change. Tried spraying the latch down with wd40, didnt help so now what. Why not try to take the latch off of the body and open the hood that way, nothing to loose right?

What you will need to do this is 10mm 1/4 socket with a 6 in extension, small hand saw or hack saw and ratchet. A swivel socket will make this easier but not necessary. The latch is held on with 3 10mm bolts, two on the top at about where the hood and grill meet and one on the bottom in about the center of the grill. You can see where the bolts are with the latch out. Top bolts are easy to get to and you can slide the socket and extension between the hood and grill and loosen the bolts, you may need to gently lift on a corner of the hood to gain a little more clearance to get the socket in.
20201206_130356.jpg

The center bolt you cant see until you modify the grill to gain access, there is a 12mm bolt that you can see. This is for the trans cooler, there is no need to remove or loosen it. Its inline and directly under the center bolt for the latch as seen in the pic.

20201206_130414.jpg

To gain access to the center bolt you will need to use a small hand saw or hack saw to trim the grill. Between the top and first slat there is some webbing in the center that you will need to cut out on the driver side so you can get in there with the socket and extension. Cut the top and bottom and just twist out the piece.

20201206_130447.jpg

Once the bolts are out youll be able to open the hood open and remove the latch from the striker on the hood and finally get to changing the oil. Fortunately the parts fairy takes and gives back as needed, i had ordered the latch and cable about 7 years ago and promptly lost them. Today was the day that i found the latch and got to install the new one and rig up a line to be able to pull the hood release. So now ill have to order just the cable and then find the original one that i ordered after i install the second one.

new latch installed and now waiting on a new cable
20201206_130514.jpg

20201206_140924.jpg

On the plastic cover for the latch there is a raised section that can easily be trimmed off to make it easier to get to the center bolt after trimming the grill. You dont need to trim it but it will make it a little more difficult to get the socket on the bolt unless you have a swivel socket.

20201206_130533.jpg
20201206_130559.jpg

and the p/n for anyone that needs to order a latch

20201206_134251.jpg

I think i beat you to this problem with a like minded solution.

Hi, I usually put oil on it when I change the oil And filter. Mike

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom