Home made tire carrier build up thread... (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

thats what i said but i beatcha to it

Removable arm, I like it. Thanks fellas. Now to just look at all the pins with removable type caps to find the easiest one to remove often. Oooh, or maybe like a slotted cap setup where when it's closed it's locked on the pin but to take it off you just open it up and lift it off.

I was thinking something along those lines for a latch.

or a pin wiht threads on top so it just bolts on. ive seen one 1" bolts that would work great.

well i started on mine today. only took 4 hours to get this far. im using 2 1/2"X 2 1/2" box tubing 1/4" wall for the base. then i got some 3/8" angles to mount it to the frame. the rest of it is 2" DOM tubing i think. i got it from a guy was test fitting a roll cage for his race truck. i got a full roll cage for free! too ba dit doesnt fit anything i have. the spindle is a 1 1/2" solid steel semi truck hitch pin. everythign is stick welded and this was my first time so if you have any smart ass comments kepp em to yourself. and im not trying to hijack just thought i would share and maybe give you some inspiration.

ill have some more pics as i get it done. should be 75% by tomorow night.

oh and by th wya could i see what you are using for a latch cause i dont really have any good ideas.
thanks
-miles

i dont need no stinking bushings. i only got the metal work done today. tomorow im going to weld a washer to the bottom of the sleeve and under that will be a think plastic washer. dmanit i cant remember what that stuff is called. some solid friction reducing material. whatever. ad im going to pack whatever space in between the sleeve and spindle with grease.

and if i really want to i can carve a groove to put some bal bearings but thats after i trey everything else

cruzerman350 said:
ad im going to pack whatever space in between the sleeve and spindle with grease.

You mean nylon?

You seriously going to pack all that slack with grease? Metal on metal with grease? What's gonna hold the grease in? You might want to rethink that part. At lowes there are brass bushings with a lip on em that would take up that slop. That will be a super rattly tire carrier with no bushings between. How big a tire you going to be haulin on that?

Here are the components I am going to use for my carrier.

The hinge is Iron Pig Offroad, it is sweet.

The Latch is part # 5135A27 at Mcmaster.com

The spring pin is part # 90222A415 at Mcmaster.com

I put a soda can in for size reference.
components.jpg

Last edited:
thats awesome i wish i used thast setup. damn. oh well i will use that when i break mine.

HawkDriver said:
Just the pics of a pin I was about to search for. I'm sold on that setup when I get to doing mine. What was the pin, $30? Faw kin sweet IPOR part.

Yeah, I had a booty fab idea before Lance gave me a shout on a previous post. It is a great idea, replaceable bushings, 1.5" solid steel rod... and two collars that hold it all together... all for like 30 bones!

Lance was really helpful and I would recommend him to anyone.

Rezarf <><

what is his name on here? i think that setup is definatley in my near future.

www.ironpigoffroad.com

look under fabrication. Lance is the dude behind IPOR. They have some sweet stuff for custom fab.

Rezarf <><

I havent ever built one, but this looks pretty sweet. I only have one question, Why do you need a spring pin? As far as I can see you have the latch and the spindle. Isn't that enough to secure it while driving? Or am I just missing somthing as ususal?

Also where do you live in Louisville? I used to live on the NW corner of McCaslin and Via Appia.

usmcruiser said:
I havent ever built one, but this looks pretty sweet. I only have one question, Why do you need a spring pin? As far as I can see you have the latch and the spindle. Isn't that enough to secure it while driving? Or am I just missing somthing as ususal?

Also where do you live in Louisville? I used to live on the NW corner of McCaslin and Via Appia.

The spring will be welded to the swing arm hinge or right near it, the idea is when you open the swing arm on uneven ground you can "pin" the carrier in the open position. I will simply have a hole in the lower bumper that the spring pin will drop down into, holding the carrier open.

slee offroad has some good shots of this kind of setup in their fj60 bumper page. i didnt want to steal their images though.

www.sleeoffroad.com

I live at Cherry and McCaslin, let me know if you are ever in town.

Rezarf <><

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom