Holy Heck (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Short story short...backing out of garage this morning and right front fender got hung up on some plastic and tore the fender off its mounts (they are broken).

The plastic white "caulking" (for lack of a better term) that seals the fender to the body is broke off too. Can this be replaced?

Do I need to source a new fender (repaint etc) now that the mounts are torn off? If so, anyone have an extra in excellent condition for sale by chance?

I hope your Monday is going better than mine 🙄🙂
PXL_20210614_142128259.jpg
PXL_20210614_142121231.jpg

Short story short...backing out of garage this morning and right front fender got hung up on some plastic and tore the fender off its mounts (they are broken).

The plastic white "caulking" (for lack of a better term) that seals the fender to the body is broke off too. Can this be replaced?

Do I need to source a new fender (repaint etc) now that the mounts are torn off? If so, anyone have an extra in excellent condition for sale by chance?

I hope your Monday is going better than mine 🙄🙂View attachment 2703316View attachment 2703317
Check with @slow95z and @arcteryx as they both part out trucks and may have the parts you need.

The fender flares are somewhat year specific. Yours being a 97 will accept 95-97 flares from a Land Cruiser only (Not an LX450)

The "caulking" you referred to is a Toyota rubber seal that has adhesive on both sides. I'm not sure if the white is available any more, but you can check online or with your local dealership.

Possibly look at www.partsouq.com and plug in your VIN to get the correct parts for your truck.

It looks like it is just the fender flare. The gasket is still available but stock colour is black as far as i know. Did the plastic fasteners just pull out or did the 4 nut/bolt fasteners get ripped off as well?

Best to remove the flare and see if any of the mounts can be repaired with JB Weld plastic stuff.

Unbolt the flare, get some good epoxy, glue it all back together on the ground.

This. 3M epoxy works excellent if you have the mounts. Or fab one up if missing one. It wil be much cheaper than finding a replacement

As has been stated, your best bet is to rebuild the mounts with your favorite epoxy. The bolts can be accessed by removing the front side marker light and from the antenna access hole on the other end. I reused the gasket/seal by cleaning off the old tape and using this tape to remount.

3M Tape

Last edited:
As has been stated, your best bet is to rebuild the mounts with your favorite epoxy. The bolts can be accessed by removing the front side marker light and from the antenna access hole on the other end. I reused the gasket/seal by cleaning off the old tape and using this tape to remount.

Amazon product ASIN B00HLY768W
The Amazon link was broke, can I get the manufacturer/model of the tape please?

tenor (1).gif

Started to get the fender flare re-attached but looks like this is more of a mess than I anticipated. The supports that attach from the body are not recoverable (made of plastic) and one of the plastic connectors on the fender flare itself is torn off so I only have one still salvageable. Appears this takes removing the wheel well liner(s) which is pretty roached out itself to get to the bolts which need replacement (rusty). I did purchase all the hardware for the replacement of the fender flare but not sure the flare is salvageable. This might be too large of a job for me to handle.

Anyone have any further tips?

Know of any body/paint guys in the Denver area that have experience with older LC's?
PXL_20210627_170432495.jpg

PXL_20210627_170439484.jpg

PXL_20210627_170447239.jpg

PXL_20210627_171019335.jpg

No need to remove the inner fender to get at the nuts. Keep looking from the engine bay and through the side light.

man step back and slow down. take the corner light out. its 1 phillips head screw. that will allow you to get to the front of the flares. its a 10mm.

the inner fender has several holes to reach inside. you will need to remove some stuff like the cruise control and a few relays on the other side but its like 10 bolts total. all 12 and 10mm.

there are a few hidden around the mud flap area.

just take you time and dont force it. you are going to have a bad day if you keep yanking on them like that.

Reactions: YMT
Thanks. There was no yanking involved, flare got hooked on something in my garage and it tore off when reversing (ugh). The flare itself appears to have had some plastic connectors to attach to the body of the vehicle, one of those is completely torn off...epoxy isn't going to help on those. Just not sure if I should find another flare (undamaged) and have it repainted. Decisions, decisions, decisions...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom