Wanted HJ61 VX High Roof 5 Speed with Lockers (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Hello,

Recently retired dude trying to recapture some of my youth wanting to purchase clean original condition HJ61 VX High Roof 5 speed with original paint/decals, factory PTO/ bumpers and cable lockers. Prefer truck with less than 160k miles/260k km. Truck should have clean body panels and undercarriage with little signs of rust. 2" OME or equivalent lift preferred. Some sun fading on hood and roof may be ok depending overall condition of truck. Service and maintenance should be up to date with records. 1st color preference is gray. Not interested in snorkel or mud vehicle. Have budget of $18k - $24k.

Thanks much!

That's a GREAT price if all else checks out.

I have seen ONE LHD h55/A/C/lockers HJ61 in the past 5 years. I think it sold for over $30k.

Be prepared to wait a while, or build a truck to suit your specific needs.

Look closely at the pics. Hard to tell bc they are s***ty pics but looks like it has plenty of rust in the rockers/wheel wells. And its been painted. Given the price though you're buying it for just the driveline anyway. Drive the hell out of it like it is till you fine a suitable donor to swap everything into.

Look closely at the pics. Hard to tell bc they are s***ty pics but looks like it has plenty of rust in the rockers/wheel wells. And its been painted. Given the price though you're buying it for just the driveline anyway. Drive the hell out of it like it is till you fine a suitable donor to swap everything into.
The seller didn't post a good contact number. So don't know if its a fake add?

Very good question.

Hell, I'd be tempted just to get it for the 12HT, PS, AC, H55, lockers/FF rear.

If the body is not a complete rust/bondo mess and the drivetrain is solid - I think its damn nice looking 60.
The seller didn’t post a working phone number.

Last September I posted on this thread that I was looking to buy a HJ61. I'm excited to share that I received delivery of my 1989 HJ61 which was purchased at Japan auction. It was hard for me to make a purchase this large on a leap of faith sight unseen. The truck is even in better shape than expected with original shiny paint, very clean undercarriage, 124k kilometers and an interior that looks great. A big shout out goes to Dave Martin at Back 40 Imports in Kalispell, Montana who helped me find the truck and handled the importing and titling and servicing. He was great to deal with! Also thank you to all who responded to my post.

fullsizeoutput_1632.jpeg

IMG_1412.JPG

fullsizeoutput_1634.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_1635.jpeg

IMG_1454.JPG

Tasty! Nice!

Great looking truck! You mind sharing about what it cost?

Good things come to those who wait. Im wondering what you paid as well. Just curious what a nice unmolested one is going for these days .

The truck had a Japan auction condition grading of 4, which is very rare for vehicles that are this old. I did pay a total cost premium for the truck because of the grade. The auction price was at $22k. By the time you add auction house sales commission, Japan inland shipping to port, overseas shipping to Tacoma Washington, customs tax, inland shipping to Kalispell, getting US title, importer fee and service package, I'm in for a total of about $30k. I looked and traveled to look at 4 trucks for sale in the US and none were near the condition of this truck. I did have to sacrifice not getting cable lockers but could not pass on the condition of the truck. Japan is much more stringent on their vehicle auction process requiring independent graders examining each vehicle. I looked at auction vehicles for seven months before this one came up. It has the color and decals that were my first choice, drives great and only 124k documented kilometers. The truck did come with all the original owners manuals and service/registration paperwork all of which are in Japanese. I get a lot of looks being right hand drive. Looking forward to getting many years of enjoyment out of the truck!

I watch the auctions a fair bit. I saw yours come up and if the condition checked out figured it would command a premium. Glad to see it ended up here in the states with someone who appreciates it. With your patience you should be able to find a set of cable locking axles, swap them in and complete the unicorn.

I know you're not looking anymore- but thought this might help someone else who is looking for a such a particularly spec'd cruiser. Looks like several on MUD were right about an estimated $30k price point on such a truck.

It's not mine, but I stumbled across this one: 1987 Toyota Land Cruiser VX | eBay

From the eBay ad:
This car was imported from Japan and has short VIN Number:
HJ61-006458

One owner.
low mileage.
diesel 6 cylinder 12H-T
Factory Front and Rear cable diff-lock (Rare).
Manual transmission.
PTO factory winch
RHD-JDM
Import directly from Japan.
1989 Toyota Land-cruiser 60 VX,
4 wheel drive.
102,000ml real mileage.
Non smoke.
Still has Japan shaken - July 2018. (technical inspection)
Model-VIN : HJ61-006458
diesel 12H-T,
4000cc.
Inline 6 cylinder turbo-diesel.
135hp-3500rpm. power
315hm-2000rpm. torque.
5 speed Manual transmission,
Factory Center Diff Lock.
OEM 15 inch rims
New BG Goodrige AT.
Tuning Handle Steering.
Altimeter/Barometer.
PW, PC, PW Mirror,
AC works very good ,
New two battery 24V,
oil -air- fuel filter- extra v-belts.
New radiator OEM
New tie rods.
Power Sun roof,
WA clean title .
Stock in WA Seattle.
CBR7501 Form EPA HS-7 DOT has exemption from emission.
No trade. Website: www.jdmcarandmotorcycle.com
WA resident, Price + Tax, Title & Licensing
Video:

Congrats on the purchase and I'm impressed with the patience! Hope she gives you years of enjoyment.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom