HJ45 flatdeck restoration (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Must say I haven't heard anything this side either, other than the Russians bombing ISIS, or the other side depending on which news site you read. Just as an aside, I grew up with the Scheckter brothers, Jody and Ian. Only decent track racers we ever produced in SA. Those were the days! Now Jody is growing organic veg and beef in the UK.

Its going to have to be Kiwis to keep the southern hemisphere flag flying for this world cup.

Back to Cruisers: Do you know whether the dash board light for the glow plugs is still available. My HJ47 had one that worked - sort of started weakly and the glowed stronger and stronger while one held the key on glow. This one did not have one. I don't know whether it had the wiring for it or not. there was no light on the dash and I just took the harness out and have it sitting in a box for later attention. From what I could see it is a bit of a mess with hard and cracked wires and has been hacked a bit. I'd like to get that indicator back in the system. I once had a Toyota Dyna truck with an H engine in that had the same light, so I'd really like to replace it if it was there.

There should be a pair of thick black wires in the area of the switches with loop connectors that went to the glow light. It is more of a resistance than a light, it drops the voltage to the plugs when you hold the key in the glow position and shows that there is current flowing by getting hot. When you crank the motor the plugs get full battery voltage. If the light is missing you will only get heat while you are cranking. I have a spare one but they may still be available new. If not from toyota try a tractor spares place as old ones had the same setup.

You working and not watching THE GAME?????

and a fantastic game it was too our highest score ever achieved against France (62-13) and it rubbed out a few ghosts from our 2007 1/4 final against them, I guess we'll be seeing you guys at the semi final next week :)

good work and fast progress on the cruiser mate I'm another envious one sitting back watching it come together

I have had a productive Sunday :) I've got most of the dash back together, pedals and master cylinders in and the wiring harness sorted. Time for a beer whilst the sun is still out!

Dropbox - Sunday, Oct 18
I need to find some bulkhead grommets, two for the wiring and one for the speedo cable .

20151018_181931.jpg

Last edited:
I'm having to wait for my painter to paint stuff and it's arriving in dribs and drabs.
I have got the 1/4 lights assembled but no doors to fit them to.
20151101_145930.jpg
I have fitted the front inner guards but I can't finalise the fitment till the outer guards (they are fibreglass) and rocker panels are done so I did a bit of polishing and fitted my LED headlights. I am unsure whether to stick with the chrome bezel or fit a painted one.
20151101_161059.jpg 20151101_161130.jpg
I'm also getting a bit concerned that I won't be able to get the finished truck out of my garage, it's never been in there in one piece and it's getting a bit close to the top of the door even without the roof!

Looking sweet the old girl,leave the chrome bling on her, and there looks to be plenty of head room only 100mm more and she has a roof on.
Have 2, 79 45s complete sitting in my backyard for body spares when needed, both with H engines, H41 with FF.
They have soul.

Where did you get the headlights from? Will they pass WOF inspection here?

They came from mudstuck but they don't have any more in stock. they do have "e" marking and the pattern is good and they were half the price of trucklites :)

Do they have an arrow pointed to the left in the glass to show they're designed for our roads where we drive on the left?

Here's the arrow I'm talking about on a Cibie/Valeo H4 insert:
CibieGlassMarkings.jpg

(On the bottom just above the "12")

And here's that arrow on a Hella H4 insert:
HellaArrowToLeft.jpg

:beer:

They are e marked and the dip pattern is correct but the don't have an arrow. View attachment 1156356 View attachment 1156357

Cool.

I've been wondering for some time whether there were road-legal LED headlights out there for driving on the left and it looks like you've got some..

It would be good to hear back on what you think of their performance when you get back on the road..

:)

I got some more panels back so I have fitted the roof and back panel. I got the kick panel vents too so I got the glue out and fitted the new seals and old cleaned up headlining.
I will definately have issues getting it out of the garage! I think it will go with the door opener link taken off otherwise I'll have to fit some rims without tyres :(
20151108_123635.jpg
20151108_123451.jpg
20151108_115739.jpg
20151108_123736.jpg
20151108_123611.jpg

I'm experimenting with some floor mat that I found at Mitre10. I am going to use it upside down to get the dimpled side up.
I'm hoping it will insulate and quieten things down without trapping water like felt would.
A breakdown callout has stopped further playing till later :(...

Does that surface look like it will be able to breathe? (And if so, what's this material called and if it's sold on a per-metre basis, what is the width?)

My carpet in the back of my BJ40 needs replacing now. It is rubber/foam backed and most of the rubber/foam has turned to powder.

I want "breathability" because sometimes water can get inside my cruiser (if it's parked a certain way in a torrential downpour for instance) and the area I want to cover is quite large so I want a material that will allow the rear floor to dry out rather than keep/trap the dampness against the paint.

(But, since the OEM mats don't breathe, and the front floor area you want to cover isn't that large, I'm guessing breathabity won't be so important to you).

:beer:

There is an extruded pvc product like that in rolls available - go find the nearest pipeline repair job since it's used to cushion pipe from debris during back filling the trench . The stuff I have is about 3/8" thick , yellow and has no top layer but it's quite heavy . IIRC , the roll width we use is 4' wide . Stuff is pretty tough and would breathe easily , probably could be colored different with dye or paint .
Sarge

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom