HJ45 flatdeck restoration (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I had disapoointment with paint bought from Supercheap so I no longer buy paint there.

Many of the reviews on Amazon of this particular product are not very complimentary (although they don't mention water pustules):
Reviews.jpg

Nice work on the tub mate but its a shame about that crap you ended up with to underseal it, once you scrape it all off try this underseal I used it on my FJ75 chassis its bitumen based and very durable you wont be disappointed in the finish is worlds apart from what I saw in your video, I brought the underseal and gun locally from Total Body Shop supplies but you can probably get it from any panel shop supplier or you can use their online shop on the links

keep up the good work :)

Total Bodyshop Supplies - EN bituminous 30 - black | 1 kg

Total Bodyshop Supplies - underseal gun

I've got the underside all redone and got the tub back onto the chassis. Now I can start redoing the wiring, fit out the dash and heater and get the motor up and running.
Does anyone have any ideas for replacing the seatbelts as the ones it had are shot?

They're very fussy about seat belts in this country. Even if the colour is simply faded by the sun they can fail them during our 6-monthly inspections (presumably on the assumption that if the fabric is discoloured then the fabric must be simultaneously weakened).

I bought my replacements from CCOT quite a few years ago because that's the only place I could find at the time that was selling belts that matched the OEM configuration (although the fabric was/is black compared to the OEM grey). Trouble is, it was such an awkward and high-shipping-cost purchase experience that I wouldn't recommend this route for someone else living here in NZ.

BTW- Straight after the install (and continuing in recent times), I have occasional WOF-inspection fails on these new belts on the basis that the centrifugal-trigger-mechanism isn't working properly ... but I really put that down to "inspector error" because it appears to be only one guy doing the failing and he doesn't seem to realise that "panic braking in a Land Cruiser towing a heavy trailer" won't produce the same "deceleration G-forces" as a crash. (I always get my LC and trailer checked at the same time.)

:beer:

those early non retractable seatbelts always had a habit of getting caught in the door and getting chewed up by the latch after you jump out and slam the door :) if you replace them and have to get the truck re-vinned try and make sure you get belts with the correct safety standard tag they can get a bit picky and make you replace them again if they don't comply with NZ standards

I don't think I will need re-vining as it has live plates. It was imported in 86 so I think it can still have static belts but I would prefer inertia belts.
I have been rummaging around on the web and I have found a local firm that will remake belts to standard so I will give them a call on Monday.
Car Seatbelts

I don't think I will need re-vining as it has live plates. It was imported in 86 so I think it can still have static belts but I would prefer inertia belts.
I have been rummaging around on the web and I have found a local firm that will remake belts to standard so I will give them a call on Monday.
Car Seatbelts

Let us know how you get on.... :)

I know it's not original but I have retrofitted a later heater into my cab, it's a tight fit with keeping the fresh air vent control under the dash and I will have to unbolt the heater from the bulkhead to get the gearbox cover on but it's done now. Here's to frosty mornings to make the effort worthwhile :)
20151011_201144.jpg

I can get aussie made belts for $220 for retractable and $125 for the centre lap belt from those guys in CHCH.

Thanks. If you go ahead with the purchase, I'd appreciate pics. :)

I couldn't get to sleep last night so I did more research. I found some aussie made E marked belts on ebay and they were nz$230 delivered so I bought some. I'll let you know what they are like when they arrive. Hopefully they will be acceptable for Warrant.

I'm sorting out the wiring harness this weekend, repairing previous bodges and adding spotlight wiring then rewrapping it to replace the old loose loom tape.
The deck has been painted, body colour on the sides and the same black epoxy as on the chassis on the chequer plate deck. I plan to make some drop sides for it at a later date.
20151017_121431.jpg
20151017_121359.jpg
20151017_121502.jpg

Up before 7am on a Sunday morning too I see Diogenese!

I am too. But my excuse is that I've got to finish painting my son's bedroom before he returns home on Wednesday (and today's a work day for me so I have bugger all time to do it in).

:beer:

You working and not watching THE GAME?????

Ha ha... Ooops. Forgot all about it... ("How can a true kiwi not be interested in the Rugby world Cup?" I hear you saying now.. Well ... All I can say to answer that is "I've always been a bit different." )

:)

Well guys, under normal circumstances I would have said, "Don't worry about it, we'll keep it in the southern hemisphere." But we have the worst Springbuck coach EVER, and a team of geriatrics, so I'm not so confident this time around. We just beat Wales 23/19 by a miracle. Not one back line movement from our side. NOT ONE!!!
Then the coach says, "God helped us." And that's after saying he didn’t know what went wrong when Japan beat us. I HATE rugby but I can't help myself. Anyway, good luck against France. At least that way we will have a souther hemisphere team in the final... I really like the colour on the 45.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom