The following weekend the suspension bushes arrived and i set about reinstalling the new blue polyurethane bushes and castor correction set for the radius arms.After the install i paint them with the same gloss black i used for the chassis. As they were drying i set about fixing a leak in the rear diff aswell as a hairline crack in the front diff's drivers shock mount aswell as some flogged out control arm bracket holes. With this completed, the diffs were also given a coat of primer and black enamel then promptly installed back in the chassis with a brand new adjustable panhard rod up front. (The rear one is being ordered)
Haha greg you funny bloke! At this moment i would like to Acknowledge the two fellas who made most of this possilbe and the reason my cruiser is working and drivable.....My employer Robo and his son Greg.
With all the suspension in, I decided to make some stays and lugs so i could tow it in and out of the shop without scratchin the paint into submission. And so i could lift the front and rear diff without having to mess around with jacks etc.
I also started to bolt the brake lines back up on the diffs and chassis. The next step is bearings, rotors and pads hopefully this weekend!!!
Been a busy couple of weeks since my last post, lack of time had prevented a bit of progress on the cruiser but i did manage to clean the front hubs, replace the rotors, pads and the wheel bearings. I also bought a set of new tyres and wheels for the beast as my 45's goodyear wranglers suit 15" not 16" Heres some fotos of the front diff rotors
Will hopefully have the rear done this weekend so i can bolt the tyres on
Have you ever wondered what a 80 series chassis looks like next to a hj45? Thought while i had me 45 @ work a mite aswell sit them next to each other and discovered the engine mounts dont need moving/modding but the gearbox Xmember will...
I will be attaching the 45 front apron to the chassis via a reduced rectangle transition piece that will pickup the 3 M8 holes in the chassis front xmember, similar to the original setup except a LOT more friggin about.
Cheers Cult45, this next part dont look too flash but. Today I lifted the rear diff onto stands to finally have a good look at the calipers, rotor and handbrake mechanism. I knew that the rear hubs were leaking when i bought the 80 frame, but i hadn't counted on it being this bad.
Looks kinda innocent...
Greasy caliper, could be worse,
Yuck, kinda looks like nickel-grade anti-sieze. Both sides are basically the same. I also discovered that both calipers were seized and pretty well buggered! Which means yet another part to buy on the list! Oh well, sure beats drinkin all me pay!
Well, it has been fairly busy @ work this week and time has been scarce, however, i have stripped, cleaned and replaced all of the handbrake mechanisms for both sides. I also threw the rebiult hubs back onto the diff housing with the rotors and have it off the stands for now and back on some wheels.
I have ordered some brand new calipers but will have to wait for them. So i decided to cut some brackets for the rear tray mounts.
I wanted to use genuine toyota rubbers for the cruiser's tray and body but after finding out the price for 6 cab rubber mounts from a local toyota spares store were $850 I shopped around and decided to use HOLDEN HQ rubbers @ $120 The only downside is i have to open up the 6 cab mount centre holes about 6mm for these rubbers to fit. Oh well, this makes it easier to buy spares if ever needed.
Cheers D'animal, these indicators came about because i thought if i go to all this trouble hand making guards i mite aswell fab some blingin indicators Thanks Cult45, I can't wait to start repairing/modifying the cab, fabricating the tray tub, and making the 3" stainless steel exhaust! This biuld-up has no real time frame as i have a bone stock hzj80 to get me around so i can take my time making everything nice in my eyes