Events/Trails HIH9 Trip Report (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I don't have kids, but I stay on the side where they set up the ice rink in the winter. It is flat with sand and out of the way. There are almost always kids playing there and riding bikes. There is also at least one parent keeping an eye on things.

The trail runs are visually very interesting to see. It isn't unusual to see quite a few animals from pikkas to sheep. You can also turn looking for the bears and moose into a game.

by day two, there is a roving gang of them all hopped up on juice and cookies. Its scary

Funnel cake night, after the sun went down, it did get a bit intense. I never got a straight answer from my kids to how many they actually ate.

One of the rock overhangs on Camp Bird Road (Route up to Yankee Boy and Imogene) collapses earlier this week. The longer overhang section is still intact.

86E9527F-11DF-4400-BEE4-FACBC2301006.jpeg

446007BB-0BAD-46F0-9B57-6F5A2CE99720.jpeg

I have shipped my truck to @Riverrunner the last two years and drive back to Austin. It is well worth it to ship your rig with camp stuff loaded. In the past Aaron has let me ship my truck to his place, the flights are very inexpensive from Aus to Den, 100/person one way. Your rig and it's contents are safe both in transport and at Aaron's. The drive from Denver to Silverton is beautiful and only takes about 6hrs. If we get in this year, this will be our plan again. Hope this helps.

You mind telling about what this costed you? I never even thought of this as an option.

I'm sure this has been asked before, but for those of you with small children, how did they handle the event? I have a 5 year old, and 2 year old (both boys). They love trucks, but I don't know how much trail riding they can stand. Did your kids like the trail rides, or did they do a few, and then hang out at camp otherwise? The event looks awesome, but I don't want to spend this amount of time with whiny children (not that kinds do that kind of thing...)

Thanks!
Last year was my first year. After the first day with my dad, I called my wife and convinced her to call in sick on friday and drive out from Denver with our 2 year old. Great family event. My kid loves off roading and camping.

Thanks for the info guys! What's the toilet situation at camp? I understand there's no showers, but no toilets could a problem.

If I get a spot, I plan on bringing the wife and almost 4 year old. Wanted them to come last year, but she decided to go to Barcelona instead. Can't blame her.

Thanks for the info guys! What's the toilet situation at camp? I understand there's no showers, but no toilets could a problem.
Flush toilets in the lodge and porta-Johns near the entrance of the camping area. Bring your own toilet paper - it can go pretty fast around camp.

Vacation time is booked, hopefully can get in. We are headed to Co no matter what on the 18th so I’m sure we can explore somewhere else if we can’t get registered.

I am really liking posts like this one. Although we cannot have an event large enough to include everyone, unfortunately. It is cool to see that HIH seems to be inspiring folks to get out to the San Juan Mountains on their own and with their families. The 100 Series is the perfect rig for all trails in the area.

Vacation time is booked, hopefully can get in. We are headed to Co no matter what on the 18th so I’m sure we can explore somewhere else if we can’t get registered.

I've got TONS of GPX files for all the trails in CO. I can share them on GAIA if you need them. There are some seriously cool routes that very few people even know about. I did a run from Buena Vista to Silverton on 98% gravel last year....it was an epic trip.

I've got TONS of GPX files for all the trails in CO. I can share them on GAIA if you need them. There are some seriously cool routes that very few people even know about. I did a run from Buena Vista to Silverton on 98% gravel last year....it was an epic trip.
Me me, Please share with me. I like to be your friend!

That would be pretty cool and that route sounds great. Gotta admit I would probably skip some of the ones like Black Bear, I prefer a little milder. I would ride along but having never done it at all I wouldn’t want to drive it my first time, not exactly a huge fan of heights but I can deal with most.

I’d really like those routes, what’s the best way to get them? I have been having some problems with Gaia, been working on the IDBDR trip I am on in late August, trying to get everything on my devices has been pretty difficult. Thanks!

I’m really excited about this year. This year I’ve decided to take 2 week off and head to Moab and then Zion NP after HIHX. Yesterday reservations opened up for July 29 in Zion for campsites and I reserved a nice site for 3 nights.

The plan is to take the family to HIHX and then introduce our 12 YO to Arches NP, The White Rim Road in Canyonlands NP, and Angels Landing and the Narrows in Zion NP.

It was exciting making the reservations because it’s the first real step to HIHX for us this year!

I can’t wait!!!!

I'd love to hear more about your route from BV to Silverton if you're willing to share - PM ok too.

I’m really excited about this year. This year I’ve decided to take 2 week off and head to Moab and then Zion NP after HIHX. Yesterday reservations opened up for July 29 in Zion for campsites and I reserved a nice site for 3 nights.

The plan is to take the family to HIHX and then introduce our 12 YO to Arches NP, The White Rim Road in Canyonlands NP, and Angels Landing and the Narrows in Zion NP.

It was exciting making the reservations because it’s the first real step to HIHX for us this year!

I can’t wait!!!!
These are some of the places we have been wanting to visit for a few years now. Do you camp while you are out there or are inexpensive hotels available near these places?

These are some of the places we have been wanting to visit for a few years now. Do you camp while you are out there or are inexpensive hotels available near these places?
There is plenty of camping available around Moab and Zion. We are going to be towing our camper and plan to probably setup camp at Dead Horse SP outside of Moab and then Watchman Campground in Zion.
There are hotels in Moab, and Zion although I’ve never stayed at any of them. We did stay at the Lodge at Zion one time and it was nice, but I’m not sure I would call it inexpensive.

Zion is my favorite NP. The Angels Landing hike should be on everyone’s bucket list. It’s amazing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom