High Rock Canyon Run in June (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

So I can make it! I'm going to drag my offroad trailer for the hell of it... and it gives me 10 extra gallons of gas and 10 extra gallons of water. Do folks want to caravan? Of course, I'll be moving at towing speeds instead of my usual 8mph over the limit...

On the way up I'm going to make a quick stop at Orvis in Reno... if folks want to caravan, that might be a good place to meet.

I'll be hanging out on the 146.52 (national simplex calling) as well as monitoring 146.460 (BBCNNV simplex chat).... and, of course, I'll be pushing out APRS signals as best I can. I see there is a repeater at Black Rock, 145.23 (-) 123.0

Last edited:
It is kind of a haul up Solider meadows road but nothing that would eat up your gas. From where we are camping it is only 70 miles back to gas. I am just depending on my on my 22 gallon tank for the whole trip, For sure we should gas up in Gerlach on friday then on saturday on the way back to civilization.

Kurt, I think I'll just mosey on up on my own time. But for sure will see you at Brunos. I'm going to stop in reno to pick up some grub and probably eat in Fernley.

Will, I think you might increase you mileage by 2 mpg without that rack. Which may exclude your need for carrying the extra gas:hmm:. See you at Brunos.

I'll call on the radio periodically.:poof:

Hello all,
I'd like to camp with the group Friday night but I won't be able to leave Reno until about 4:30pm. I'm new to Nevada. Is the camping spot difficult to find?
If so is there a general GPS location that I could map out tonight?
Thanks!

I am going but dont know what time yet. I'd like to make a detour out onto the playa (on foot) so I might run out and back to Brunos if I can get out on time tomorrow.

Kurt whats your departure time?

Loren what are you driving, and what do you have for radio?

Hello all,
I'd like to camp with the group Friday night but I won't be able to leave Reno until about 4:30pm. I'm new to Nevada. Is the camping spot difficult to find?
If so is there a general GPS location that I could map out tonight?
Thanks!

Loren, I *think* we'll be *close* to 41.3601611503, -119.223104254 ... but this is just a guess looking at Google Earth... as I've never been there. Mark might have a better lat/lon...

Will, I actually can leave Carson Valley as early as noon... and even with a couple of stops... I'd have some time to kill before the 5:30 meet time. So if nothing else, I'll find some place to throw a fly... but I'm game for playa side trip if want to do that.

Last edited:
I've got an FJ Cruiser on 33's. Unfortunately, I only have a CB. It served it's purpose well in Georgia but I realize I need a HAM here.
CV Kurt - That was the same location I found through my research. I read the warnings about Soldier Meadows Road. I shouldn't be far behind you, maybe an hour.

Loren happy to have you with us. Looking at your map I noticed your just a tad north of where I thought we would camp. It is confusing since there are hot springs though out in that area. If you pull your map into the smallest view(it blurs)you will notice a road that ends in a tadpole looking turn around. Thats where I think we are going to camp. It is just south of your end point. There are two nice sized hot spring "tubs" to the north and east of the turn around/campsite(which is about a 60 yard walk into the ravine).

Kurt and Will, If you guys want to meet at the campsite that would be fine. I can stop at Brunos and meet with others that might be coming. No sense in you having to wait for me if your out doing stuff further north on the Playa. If not then see you at Brunos.

I'm going to bring a small grill so I can cook some meat... oh, decided to leave my trailer behind. Just a bit too much work for this short of a trip.

I'll be on channel 3.
Google maps showed detail of what appears to be actual camp sites at that area with foot trails to the springs but I'm sure I'll be able to spot the group once I get in the vicinity. Thanks for the heads up.

Ah I really wish we could make it. The 4 month old is just not up for that much of the day spent in the car seat. :(
Maybe next time. Have fun! And post pictures!

It was a great trip. Hot but with air who cares. Some washed out parts of the trail were a challenge for Ole grey but she pulled through. And fudge! The pin striping!#&*

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom