High mileage issues, anything common? (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi there, thinking about pulling the trigger and buying a used GX470 but curious about any expected high mileage issues. By high mileage I mean 300-400+k miles.

My current 4runner is creeping in on 400k and my wife's last car (Toyota Echo) was just shy of 400k when we ditched it. So I chuckle when I see posts about 'high' mileage at 100k or 150k or something low like that. :)

I've gleaned through many posts here and as usual I haven't seen anything dramatic mentioned...not surprised as I'm a huge believer in Toyota/Lexus.

Just want to make sure I haven't missed anything... The GXs I've been looking at are all 2006's, current mileages 73k-229k...

Thanks,
Mark

Not sure I have even seen one that high. I have 158k and no real issues at all. Standard maintenance and wear items is all I can think of. Radiator, alternator, rubber components, etc.

I'm at 140k and the only problem I had was a dead alternator. Replaced it when I did the timing belt and water pump 110k miles. Thats it,

~107k here, I've replaced the gas cap (caused a CEL).

My old Taco with the 5vzfe had ~283k when I sold it- I am hoping for similar performance from this guy. I haven't heard about any major problems with the 2uzfe.

ahhh, yes. The gas cap. I have to replace mine again, come to think of it.

Hi there, thinking about pulling the trigger and buying a used GX470 but curious about any expected high mileage issues. By high mileage I mean 300-400+k miles.

My current 4runner is creeping in on 400k and my wife's last car (Toyota Echo) was just shy of 400k when we ditched it. So I chuckle when I see posts about 'high' mileage at 100k or 150k or something low like that. :)

I've gleaned through many posts here and as usual I haven't seen anything dramatic mentioned...not surprised as I'm a huge believer in Toyota/Lexus.

Just want to make sure I haven't missed anything... The GXs I've been looking at are all 2006's, current mileages 73k-229k...

Thanks,
Mark
Since I bought mine I have not had any problems I knew the family that owned Gas stations and they had this GX for many years did not have any trouble with it the only thing is I got to find out how I can run it on 4 cylinder so I can save some money since I don't own any gas stations .

Since I bought mine I have not had any problems I knew the family that owned Gas stations and they had this GX for many years did not have any trouble with it the only thing is I got to find out how I can run it on 4 cylinder so I can save some money since I don't own any gas stations .

pull 4 of the spark plug wires...voila!

I have a local dealer that has 25% off Toyota parts if ordered online (15% for Lexus), so I ordered the Toyota equivalent gas cap. It was pretty cheap....
pull 4 of the spark plug wires...voila!
Do we have plug wires? I'd assume coil on plug, but I've honestly never looked!

We have plug wires...and plugs.

We have plug wires...and plugs.
I just looked it up..at least on newer 2UZ's, they are definitely coil on plug. Maybe non-VVTi is different.

it was a joke....dont try it.

;)

Damn my literal brain. :(

2004 GX 141,000. Nothing more than regular maintenance so far. Like others have said the timing belt and water pump are a big one. Timing belt need to be changed every 100,000. I had to replace the front ball bearings on mine due to a nasty metal sound it made when applying the brakes. Also replaced the valve cover gaskets. Nothing too out the ordinary but if you decide to buy a GX/LX make sure you have a good service history. Otherwise you can drop a couple thousand easily on maintenance items.

Thanks for all the info guys.

I expected the timing belt, waterpump, of course any engine accessories (though impressively I've replaced none of these on my 4runner with a ridiculous amount of miles on it) and all that. One of the unknown things for me is the transmission. I'm not a big fan of automatic transmissions (too complicated, too much to go wrong, I prefer to choose my own gears, etc) but obviously this vehicle only comes in an automatic so longevity of the transmission (especially with some towing perhaps) is something I'm thinking about. Will it last longer than a clutch in a manual transmission, likely...but a clutch is cheaper to replace...

No matter what I get I'll be doing some suspension maintenance, as we had a near death experience this last summer when the balljoints (not sure which went first but both went) failed on one side of my 4runner...so front tire falls off and takes axle, brake line and other stuff with it, there is no graceful way for ball joints to fail, if they fail the tire falls off, doesn't matter what you're doing or where you're going or what speed. So after that delightful experience I will be proactively replacing those and all tie-rod steering things long before I would have in the past. ;)

I like the fact that apparently I can fairly easily put a e-locker in the rear diff, I don't plan on 4wheeling it, heck I never 4wheel anymore, now it's all about mountain biking, but even driving around town in the winter it's nice to know I have a locker and could in-theory get unstuck, or get myself more stuck as is sometimes the case.

What locker is an easy swap? I'll have to check it out.

If you aren't going to be wheeling, I wouldn't bother locking the rear. ATRAC should handle any on-road stuck you ever find.

What locker is an easy swap? I'll have to check it out.

If you aren't going to be wheeling, I wouldn't bother locking the rear. ATRAC should handle any on-road stuck you ever find.
I browsed through a few threads, this being one of them:
FJ Cruiser e-locker in GX470? - Toyota 120 Platforms Forum

Maybe 'easy' isn't the right word but a Toyota locker (i.e. not an ARB) cleverly added to a GX470, sure some cutting and drilling but didn't look too complicated, wiring would be all custom, but there are companies that sell wiring kits for e-lockers.

Very cool. Thanks!

I haven't heard anything bad on the transmissions. I know after 2003 they are a sealed unit and supposedly don't need servicing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom