High Compression 2F??? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I recently rebuilt my 2F, went .020 over, added a header, and doing the Howell EFI system. Well, we go to try to get her to turn over and it sounds like my batteries are dying. That's impossible because I just put two yellows tops in. Anyway, we remove all the spark plugs and it turns over fine. So, doesn't my starter just not have the ass to turn it over???
Thanks in advance!!

Stupid question but, are your valves calibrated and is timing correct? You may have an issue with your exhaust.

The I believe the valves are and I know my timing is correct.

Put one plug back in at a time and see how the cranking goes.

We actually tried that and it just gets slower and slower as you add them.

Check your battery. Likely just needs to be charged. What's the resting voltage? Check all your connections and wiring for corrosion and sources of voltage drop. You could try jumping with another vehicle with a good battery.

But an FJ60 gear reduction starter should have no problems with turning over your motor.

You put extra stiff springs and a cam in it too?

I literally put in a brand new dual battery system this past weekend and everything works. I even have a dual voltage meter in the rear of the truck and both were reading around 12.6V.

I literally put in a brand new dual battery system this past weekend and everything works. I even have a dual voltage meter in the rear of the truck and both were reading around 12.6V.

So the batteries are likely OK. I'd look very carefully at the wiring and all the connections, on the hot and ground side of things. You may consider running a new main cable to the starter. Something isn't right here, and maybe you have too much resistance in the wiring giving major voltage drop and thus no start.

Old starter? Toyota diesels have starters about 4x more output than the gassers to cope with 4x the compression. Maybe you need something with 1.5x the output. Do the chev 6 cyl starters fit onto a 2F, I was wondering if they have something more powerful?
Maybe the chev starter internals would fit into the Toyota housing.

Try to turn it over with the spark plugs in & tight but the coil wire pulled from the distributor cap. This will rule out if there's a bizarre timing issue fighting the starter- just to see if you can turn it over. Engine won't start obviously with coil wire disconnected.

Didn't see this mentioned. The BB on the flywheel goes around twice for every time the cam shaft goes around once. Unless you verified #1 is on the compression stroke when set the timing the distributor could be 180 degrees off.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom