Hephaestus' build log (1 Viewer)

Lx470 to lc front swap

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello,

Let me start by introducing you to Hephaestus.
20170126_151423.jpg

This is my 1999 Lexus LX470. I've had this vehicle for about 8 years now. He has had a rough life. It did not run and was lacking major maintenance when I found it. It was 12k miles over the oil change sticker. It has hit everything but the lottery. The previous owners gave up on him. It was ready to go to the junk yard. I couldn't let that happen so I bought it home ( for free:clap:). I gave it life by replacing a blown fuse and a faulty rear o2. Cost me less the 100 bucks to hear the engine roar. It's been pretty faithful to me the last 50k.

I've been checking off maintenance item line by line over the years. Now that the list is almost done. It's time for the real fun stuff. I'll be starting the tear down the end September. Currently 315k miles. Let me know if you guys have any maintenance suggestions. I am looking forward to sharing my build with you guys and thank you for any input you may have.

Things I've done so far.

• Pads and rotors all around. (No pads left... at all.)
  • Brake line patch
  • New brake fluid.
  • Front wheel bearing
  • Front lower ball joints
  • Steering rack and bushings
  • Inner and outer tierods
  • Front and rear sway bars bushings and end links.
  • Parking brake cable.
  • Replaced rusted out rear tailgate handle.
  • Replaced passenger quarter glass. ( their kids broke it trying to get into the car because that locked themselves out.)
  • Timing job. ( all seals, pullys, tents,water pump, ect)
  • Tune up.
  • New tires. ( I already need new ones again.)
  • Valve cover gaskets
  • Replaced globes with "sport" globes from the UK.
  • New suspension fluid
  • Replaced both side view mirrors. ( both suffered some kind of damage and was taped on.)
  • Removed rear bumper. ( Not much of it was left.)
  • Replace rt fender. ( that's was my fault)
  • Transmission flush
  • Aftermarket Radio
  • Removed running boards

Things waiting to be installed.
  • Metaltech sliders
  • Tjm transmission plate
  • Tjm sump plate
  • Arb rtt Sampson 3
  • Tjm front locker
  • Tjm rear locker
  • Factory diff locker switch
  • Arb twin compressor.
  • Orange jeep front and rear bumpers.
  • Headlights ( waiting to retrofit )
  • Headlight fillers and center filler
  • Factory 16s wheels powder coated black.
  • Ahc spacers from 4x4 japan
  • King springs
  • Super pro 30mm rear spring spacers
  • Snorkle
  • Factory spec front upper control arms
  • Warn m10000 classic winch front
  • Warn mx8000 classic winch rear
  • Dometic cf-50 fridge/freezer

Last edited:
Oh boy, subscribing :popcorn:
That's quite the list of goodies

The carpet has seen better days. The rest of the interior was in Fairly good shape for its age

What are these jeep bumpers that you're waiting on? I'm intrigued. Also, really love that you brought this 100 back to life and it's still running strong

What are these jeep bumpers that you're waiting on? I'm intrigued. Also, really love that you brought this 100 back to life and it's still running strong

The bumpers are from a Russian company. I wouldn't recommend anyone ordering them yet. It's been a nightmare. I ordered them at the end of September of 2016. It's almost been a full year. It was supposed to only take 3 months to make and arrive to new york. It's been delay after delay. The First delay was that the shipping company took an extended holiday. Second delay was stuck at US Customs because of improper paperwork. Then eventually they decided to send out a new order. The ETA of this order should be here the middle of August. Hopefully everything goes through this time. They did say they're going to refund me $500 and ship it directly to my door. At least I don't have to drive to New York to pick it up. If I knew it was going to take this long I would have just ordered and dissent bumpers as planned. However my Subaru ended up with a rod through the block. Because of this I had to split up my toy budget. I was in desperate need of bumpers and this was a cheap alternative. If I don't like the quality I figured I could sell them for cheap without losing too much.
_MG_5878W.jpg
_MG_5881W.jpg
58 (5).jpg
58 (4).jpg

Would the front bumper work on the LX? the grill goes up with the hood and looks like it will hit the bull bar.

Would the front bumper work on the LX? the grill goes up with the hood and looks like it will hit the bull bar.
I believe it may interfere with the LX Grill. I'll get a better idea when it arrives. Worse comes to worse I may do a front end conversion. I never really did like the LX front end.

I am digging your find and your build!

How did you find that Russian Bumper???

I am digging your find and your build!

How did you find that Russian Bumper???
I found it by accident lol. I was looking for something on eBay land cruiser related and just happened to stumble upon it. Found the manufacturer and reached out to them directly. I think another member saw it as well. There's another thread somewhere. I'm sure I was the only one willing to take the risk and order it though. I haven't seen anyone else post about it. They seem to have fairly decent reviews in Russia. Only complaint I've seen so far it's about the powder coating. But then again I can't read Russian.

I would rip the carpet out and go full rubber on the inside like the FJ cruiser if your going full trail rig. just a thought, watching your thread.

I need your help making decision guys. I found a local Wrecker with a 99 Toyota Land Cruiser with a pristine front end. Left headlight, fenders, Hood. I don't know if I should pull the trigger now or wait until I get my bumpers in to see if the LX Grill interferes with the bumper?

What front end do you guys prefer and why?

I prefer the LX front end just because its unique and my wife always gets second looks when she is driving it. People are always shocked when the see a Lexus with a bumper and KO2's

Sounds like you liked the LC better, just go with what you want.

Just a thought, kinda depends on your asthetic, but I thought it would be kinda fun to have an LC or LX with almost every body panel a different color, since there are so many different colors available. Wolfsburg LX

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom