Help with wilwood master cylinder on FJ 40 (Man A Fre conversion) (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello everybody !
Been about 10 years, but I'm back with a question. Does anyone know the specs on the Wilwood master cylinder manafre used in their disc brake conversion kit?

I bought this, installed and it worked good until I let the truck set for most of two years. Now its leaking and wilwood sells parts I would like to get on order. need bore diameters.

This was the kit that did not use a booster. Makes for a FIRM pedal, but worked good for me. Have a 70 FJ40 and did not want to re-invent the firewall to fit a booster.

Have left VM with manafre, but they have changed a bunch since I first started ordering from them in the early 80's. They used to be great, but no one gets better with age (ask me how I know).

early 1970 did not have a booster, late 1970 had a booster

if it is not working currently, take it apart and measure the bore, then order what is needed, and you'll see if it can be rebuilt

It appears they used the larger bore manual MC with a booster on mine, best of both and it works 4 wheel discs with no proportioning valve & the residual valves were never taken out of MC cause I couldnt get the fittings loose.

Man-A-Fre is now owned by BTB. I wouldn't bother calling them. They won't have rebuild parts and likely would suggest buying new.

There should be a part number on the master cylinder you could use when you call Wilwood.

Call man a fre,

I had a recent conversation (they called me to follow up with parts I purchased) and I asked about sourcing parts for one of their rear disc conversion kits installed years ago on a new to me 40, they were super helpful and indicated they could get me the replacement parts instead of needing to buy the entire kit.

I think Kevin?was his name, he was eager to help.

I have that kit. I had the same issue after the 40 sat for awhile.
I ordered a new Master Cylinder but also took apart my old one. I honed the bore a little. Put it back together and or has been fine for a couple years.
If you have that kit I can dig out my spare and give you a part number for just the Master Cylinder.

Is this the kit you have?

That's the kit. Just talked to man a fre. They are sending a rebuild kit for master. Will write down the part number this time!

Thanks for replies, will put up post on this unit when I can drive it again. Very anxious, just installed EFI and want to drive.

Wilwood Master from the above kit. It has the bore size on the package. 1 inch.

20230425_172158.jpg

Thanks Shark56. But now I'm confused. I thought the disc end piston was smaller bore than drum end piston in the master. Guess I'll know soon.

Was confused by wildwoods website, the master cylinder comes with parts to remote mount reservoirs. Manafre must toss them when sending kit. Made me think wildwood no longer made same master.

Looks like straight 1" bore is all they offer in that style. So that's probably what it is.

When I ordered the kit from Man A Fre years ago it came with the remote reservoirs option. The replacement I ordered from Wilwood came with them attached.
Hopefully that 1 inch rebuild kit is what you need.

Does the Man A Fre kit bolt in directly? What about clearance issues? Looking at what I have now there's not a lot of room. Yes I searched, I was surprised at the lack of information on this. I have a 67 FJ40 with a 2F engine. Thanks

Does the Man A Fre kit bolt in directly? What about clearance issues? Looking at what I have now there's not a lot of room. Yes I searched, I was surprised at the lack of information on this. I have a 67 FJ40 with a 2F engine. Thanks

I'm running the Wilwood Master on a 69 with a 2f engine. Bolted on with no problem. The most technical part was re-doing the brake lines.

It comes pretty close to the carb. My 40 was running a Holley 2300, never had the OEM carb. Now have fitech EFI and it took is very close to master cylinder, but clears. It clears the firewall rib easily. A brake booster wouldn't fit.

I think the only unique thing man a fre actually contributes is an adapter from 3 bolt flange to 2 bolt flange at firewall. Otherwise it would be parts you could get anywhere.

You will need to split front and rear circuits, I used a part from a newer 40 that was frame mount that had ports to front and rear. Probably a trip to Napa would get you something that would do the same.

I'm running the Wilwood Master on a 69 with a 2f engine. Bolted on with no problem. The most technical part was re-doing the brake lines.

Great, Thanks

So you end up with a dual circuit master but no power assist? How's the pedal feel without a booster?

In a word "FIRM".

Mine is probably worse with disc front and no booster.

It stops good, but it takes some leg to do it.

That's what I would expect. On the later model 40s, the driver's side stiffening piece is curved to make room for the booster. Wonder why that couldn't be modified accordingly?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom