Help with rear shock install (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So I have purchased rear shocks and have been able to get them off using a ratcheting 22mm wrench, but I am having issues with the retainers. The shocks that I removed were aftermarket. Can anyone post a picture of the order they are supposed to go in? The blown up diagrams haven't helped much, and the diagram and camelsback toyota lists a part it appears they do not carry anymore. Sorry for the dumb question, but I am getting a clanking when I stop. The websites list shock upper retainer and lower retainer, but not really any pictures to depict order. Each shock has 4 retainers, so is the order:
shock-lower retainer-bushing-lower retainer-frame- upper retainer-bushing-upper retainer?
Or shock - lower retainer-bushing-upper retainer-frame-lower retainer-bushing-upper retainer?
Make sense? In this picture, what is number 14? They don't have it available to purchase on camelsback.. Thanks for any help.

8415610.gif

Can you post a picture of what it looks like how they are installed?

Wild guess, but would part #14 be the actual shock mount that is attached/welded to the frame?

I should be able to post some pictures tomorrow. So if that is the frame mount, which I ate it looks like, course it appear that the rubber bushing goes directly on it per the diagram? I know that's not right, but it appears that way to me

You basically make 2 "cushion" sandwiches. One on top of the frame and one on the bottom.

That diagram is much better! Thank you! It appears the "upper retainer" is on the top below the frame (with the coller) and the retainer next to the nut with the coller up. I have it installed currently with the lower portion correct, but have the collered retainer on the bottom with the coller through the frame mounting hole. I'll try this tomorrow. Thanks again.

Does anyone have a link to where you cut the hole in the floor above the rear shock tower to access the nut from the top?

Does anyone have a link to where you cut the hole in the floor above the rear shock tower to access the nut from the top?

This is a theory, as yet unproven. From the bottom mark where you want the hole. Get a large telescoping pickup magnet, or any round magnet, place it on the bottom where you want the hole. Put a round steel washer on the top and allow it to be attracted to the magnet. Hold the washer down, mark the center. Hit that top mark with a punch. Drill a hole large enough to allow passage of a 3/8 inch extension. Attach low profile socket to the extension from the bottom.

Plug hole with either a plastic plug from hardware store or a short round/flat head bolt, paint it body color if necessary.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom