Help!! with no start but cranking/fuel pump issue (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

MACKSDAD

SILVER Star
Threads
Tried to turn on my 01lc today and it cranked but wouldn’t start. Tried to jump it and still wouldn’t start. Checked fuses and they’re fine. Check engine light came on. Disconnected fuel filter at little green clip and when I tried to crank no fuel came out. Any ideas what it could be? Fuel pump or the infamous crank but no start problem? Anyone able to tell me how I can test pump to see if that’s what it is? Thanks. Sorry I know this has been addressed probably but I don’t have hours to search threads right now I have an emergency and need to get the car running by tomorrow. Thanks lc fam

Tried to turn on my 01lc today and it cranked but wouldn’t start. Tried to jump it and still wouldn’t start. Checked fuses and they’re fine. Check engine light came on. Disconnected fuel filter at little green clip and when I tried to crank no fuel came out. Any ideas what it could be? Fuel pump or the infamous crank but no start problem? Anyone able to tell me how I can test pump to see if that’s what it is? Thanks. Sorry I know this has been addressed probably but I don’t have hours to search threads right now I have an emergency and need to get the car running by tomorrow. Thanks lc fam

IF you suspect the fuel pump, you can apply 12vdc directly to it to see if it it running or not. Rarely (if ever) will a failing fuel pump throw a code. IF you've heard the pump 'whining' (indicating an impending failure) then you might as well just replace it and IF it's the original pump....probably a good thing to do preventatively anyway. Thankfully, its not that hard to replace as there is an access panel for it.

Of course there are other reasons it might not be working.

Also, when you checked for fuel at the fuel filter.....were you cranking the engine? The fuel pump does NOT run or prime with the key only ON.

IF you suspect the fuel pump, you can apply 12vdc directly to it to see if it it running or not. Rarely (if ever) will a failing fuel pump throw a code. IF you've heard the pump 'whining' (indicating an impending failure) then you might as well just replace it and IF it's the original pump....probably a good thing to do preventatively anyway. Thankfully, its not that hard to replace as there is an access panel for it.

Of course there are other reasons it might not be working.

Also, when you checked for fuel at the fuel filter.....were you cranking the engine? The fuel pump does NOT run or prime with the key only ON.
Yes I did crank it, the other thing I’m confused is I haven’t had a single issue with starting the car before. Drive it all day yesterday and today I go out to turn it on and nothing. It cranks but won’t turn on fully

Anyone have any ideas of how to test if fuel pump is working without having to pull it out and hook it up to battery independently?

Anyone have any ideas of how to test if fuel pump is working without having to pull it out and hook it up to battery independently?

You wouldn't have to 'pull' it.....but by the time you access it, its not much more trouble to remove it, inspect it and test it.

You 'could' pop the cover on the connection, probe/locate the hot lead and ground and apply 12volts that way, but be darn sure you don't create a spark!

When a fuel pump is 'suspect' check the easy things first. Fuses, relays, wiring and connections. If those check out.....then work it backwards. Test pump (and if good) start with the wiring (again) from the tank backwards until you find the issue. But you aren't going to do all that before tomorrow.

NO fuel at fuel filter and NO codes is classic fuel pump, BUT you won't know if it's the pump itself or the wiring and controls between until you check the pump, hence my suggestion.

LX470 fuel pump1.jpg

LX470 fuel pump2.jpg

LX470 fuel pump3.jpg

Last edited:
Yes. As mentioned, unhook the line at the fuel filter and confirm fuel is being ejected when trying to crank the motor.

If not, then your fuel pump is not sending fuel, and is most likely in need of replacement. Unless, of course, you want your LC to be a very heavy, cumbersome "paper weight"

I suggest checking the EFI fuse and relay. The fuse may no be actually blown but that and relay have been known to cause the crank but no start issue.

if nothing else, just take them out and caveat h and clean the prongs.

Yes. As mentioned, unhook the line at the fuel filter and confirm fuel is being ejected when trying to crank the motor.

If not, then your fuel pump is not sending fuel, and is most likely in need of replacement. Unless, of course, you want your LC to be a very heavy, cumbersome "paper weight
Swapped the fuel pump out this morning and was on the road by 10am! Thanks to the lc bros for the help . Gang gang

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom